Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Chelsea
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family and I will be getting a golden puppy next month, and I just want to make sure that I have all the puppy essentials. We have the crate, crate pad, several teething toys, toothbrush and paste, collar, id tag, treats, leash, a couple soft toys, puppy shampoo. I still need to get a set of feed and water bowls. Is there anything else that you would recommend. I already found a place nearby that does puppy kindergarten and obedience classes. Would you recommend bitter apple spray? Also what is the best cleaner to clean up accidents? Ive heard that natures miracle is very good.
For grooming, what would you recommend. I did purchase a slicker brush, and do have dog nail clippers. I need to get a pin brush also. Are bully sticks okay for pups?

Thanks. :)

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
It sounds like you have a pretty good game plan there. Bitter apple is certainly worth a try. It works well with some pups. Other pups not so much.

Looking forward to pictures when your new pup comes home.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
I think the slicker brush is a bit harsh for pups - at least the one we bought is pretty sharp..it actually hurt me when I accidentally hit my hand. I now use a rake comb that works just as well (if not better) to remove excess hair, but seems to be gentler on the skin.

Our pup is 4 months and he loves bully sticks, so definitely stock up on those if your pup likes them. We found them at costco for a pretty good price.

I'd also get a nylabone or some other chewing toy and a kong. In our experience, the kong seems to help prevent destructive behavior when Jack is left alone. He's so interested in his kong that he could care less about us leaving!

I think bitter apple is great, it worked to stop Jack from chewing his leash.

As for stain/odor remover, I'd invest in the gallon sized Natures Miracle. If you have mostly carpet, also a spot carpet cleaner. It works wonders to get the spots/odors out.

For grooming, unless you're going to be taking your pup to a groomer then you'll probably need shears to trim his/her feet hair. Also, I've found that a dremel works really well for the nails. We have clippers too, but the dremel is really easy once you get the hang of it.

This got a bit longer than I intended, but hopefully it's all helpful information! This site is a great resource and has helped us a lot in these past couple of months. Good luck with your pup! We want pictures when you get him/her!

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Kibble toys! Look into "kibble nibble" or "Tug a jug" (..we have a few of both!). If you are feeding all meals through kibble toys or training...you'll have a very happy puppy!

Sounds like you're off to a good start...the puppy and basic classes are definitely super important!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
My 10 week old Maggie loves Bully sticks. There are many different shapes and sizes to pick from. Natures Miracle is good. We use Bitter Apple as well. Our Maggie is quite a chewer and also bites. You didn't mention gates of any sort. Do you have any areas in your home that you would not want your puppy to go into and chance having an accident? One other thing you didn't mention and you will need to bring forth in this puppy venture the most important substance of all and that my friend is PATIENCE! I will admit that I got a bit cocky in my vigilance in house training our puppy. I just thought I'd have this taken care of in no time. Well, Maggie let me know it was going to be more her way than mine. I now pay very close attention, have a routine set. Some days she'll ring the bells and other days not. She whined without ringing the bell this afternoon to go out, but this morning she rang the bells. My son was distracted when I went to the store and she peed on the floor. No big deal, but a valuable lesson for him. I also found it valuable to read the thread here on toxic toys. Food is also a hot topic around here. Whatever your breeder recommends is what you should go with for the initial getting aquainted period. I also recommend having some crushed pineapple on hand to add to your puppy's food if it's one of those like my Maggie who had the bad habit of eating it's own poop. I have talked to many on this and I guess during the Winter it's worse than during other seasons. I learned quickly to use the leash and not let her go out to do her duty running free. Don't fret if your puppy eats leaves, twigs and/or chews on branches and acorns and such. I do fret over my Maggie getting into the bathroom and getting stuff out of the trash can, so now the door stays closed. We also introduced Maggie to sounds of the household early on, such as the vacuum cleaner, washer and dryer etc... Hope this helps.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Kongs and filling! What a lifesaver! Also, bitter apple, and if that doesn't work, binaca mouth spray. Kibble toys are great, lots of different stuffed toys (they get bored so easily), and band aids for yourself - those puppy teeth are sharp!
Keep the tags for the crate pad, my Josie won't sleep on anything soft. She likes the hardwood floors and the plastic crate bottom, and she pushes any towels or blankets out of the way. Weird.
Go slowly on the bully sticks, etc. Josie would get a little overstimulated by those kind of things when she was a baby, she would get cranky, bitey, and growly after chewing on stuff like that. She just started being able to chew them happily in the last month or so.
For cleaning, I used a solution of 50% vinegar, 50% water - worked great on both hardwood and rugs.
Don't be surprised by how much they sleep or how much they LOVE to bite you CONSTANTLY (I sure was). Like a precious poster said, patience is what you'll really need! I'm sure you've already got all the love!

·
Chelsea
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I do have a couple of baby gates to use. I did get a kong toy. I do plan on feeding whatever the breeder recommends.

I wont be using the slicker brush on the pup, planning on waiting with that until it gets older. I will look into getting a rake comb.

Also, what types of shears would you recommend? I will probably take the pup to the groomers a couple times, to see how that works out, but I would like to do the grooming at home. Probably thinning shears, and just regular shears?

Thanks for the advice.

·
Kristy
10,429 Posts
Don't forget a pair of slip in shoes for yourself and a coat station by the backdoor for all those trips outside.... it pays to be prepared :) I also recommend baby gates if you are at all able to do so in your home. It helps immensey.

Start working on nail trimming from week 1. Do it daily for a few minutes and give treats. A dog who won't let you trim his nails is the pits. I didn't do it often enough right from the start and Duncan is not happy about a pedicure.

Don't forget to take LOTS of photos! They change so, so quickly!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I scanned through this thread and there is alot of good advice here! Some of the stuff you mention may not be that necessary early on.

Kennal pads are hit and miss and many pups will chew them up out of bordom. Some don't like them. We used a couple of old blankets that were easy to wash.

I use a regular pair of nail clippers (the ones I use) on puppys.

I use a product called Unique instead of nature's miracle. It's more accessible for me and has so many uses around our house. It's just more convenient for us and works really well. I believe the concept behind it is similar to nature's miracle.

We've gone through a ton of disposable poop bags this winter with our pup. And make sure you are stocked up on "patience". Puppies will test your patience every chance they get.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Does your crate have a divider? I found with my last two pups if I divided the crate and made space much smaller at night time (sleep time) they were more settled, would go down quicker and sleep longer. I think it gives them security similar to sleeping with siblings. If you don't have a divider, if you have a box you can put in the crate that works too. Just watch the space as the dog grows. We used a box for Teddi and as she grew cut one end off to make more room. Within a couple weeks they don't need it any more. Both Teddi and Quinn who we did this with slept really well ALMOST through the night from the day we brought them home.

Toe nail clippers. I have to agree, you want to at least simulate the activity whether you are actually clipping or not a lot as a puppy. Get them used to it early.

I prefer natural (not filled) bones to bully sticks, my personal preference. You want a LOT of toys that the dog can bite and play with. Puppies can never have too many toys.

How exciting. I know the last month waiting for Quinn seemed endless and it was right before Christmas. Enjoy your puppy time. It is hard, will try your patience but they grow up so fast. You blink and they are big dogs. Take LOTS of pictures and videos, allow your pup to show you how wonderful the world is from a puppies perspective.

Ann

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yes, get Grannick's Bitter Apple...it works great with my 10 week old pup. He doesn't like it at all and whatever I spray it on, he'll avoid it big time.

Get some good quality food. Baby wipes can be handy. If you don't have several old ratty towels around, i might go buy a few really cheap towels for cleaning. Oh and stock up on paper towels too for accidents.

Sounds like you are ready to go. Be patient and have fun!

·
Registered
643 Posts
What about cow hooves? Are those good for teething pups?
Never tried them, so this is completely my opinion, but I would start with something simpler - like hard rubber toys or nylabone. They have sensitive tummies, especially with the stress of a new home. You don't want to make it worse, it can get messy. Yuck.

·
Chelsea
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Never tried them, so this is completely my opinion, but I would start with something simpler - like hard rubber toys or nylabone. They have sensitive tummies, especially with the stress of a new home. You don't want to make it worse, it can get messy. Yuck.

Okay. Sounds good. I was just reading how they can splinter, so I will avoid those.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Natures Miracle for cleaning up accidents. It breaks down the enzymes so puppy isn't smelling where to go. Available at Petsmart/Co.

My girls always used just nylabones as puppies..... I didn't introduce bully sticks til later. I was afraid it would upset their stomachs. They also loved the braided/ knotted rope toys and tennis balls.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got this play mat for Soda when she was just a couple of months old. I ordered it from Pet Edge. It has squeekies and crinkles and hanging toys -- just like one you would buy for a baby! She loved it!! She entertained herself with this mat while I had a coffee break!

Sorry -- my pictures are not appearing --- how do I do this?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts