Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 16 week old female puppy (Briar) who all of a sudden refuses to go on walks in our neighborhood.

Once she got her 2nd set of DHPP vaccines at around 11 weeks old, I started walking her around our neighborhood during my lunch break at work everyday (she is now fully vaccinated). she had normal puppy issues with pulling and running occasionally but overall she would do pretty well and seemed to enjoy the walks. I use cut up hotdog to keep her focused on me and heel or just walk close to me.

About a week ago, she has all of a sudden apparently become afraid of walking in our neighborhood. at first she would do fine until about 100 yards, then would start whining, put her ears back in an apparent scared body language, and would pull very hard to go back home. when I tried to coax her forward by pulling or using hotdog or even peanut butter on a spoon, she just sits down firm and refuses to go further. the last couple of days she only went about 50 feet before this happened, and today she didn't make it 5 ft.

I make sure she pees/poops before we go and she gets plenty of water before we go, so it isn't that she is just thirsty or needs to go to the bathroom. also, nothing traumatic from my perspective has happened on our walks previously. no dog fights or other scary situations. the extent of anything scary would be a large truck driving by or occasional construction sounds from neighbors getting a new roof.

she doesn't seem to have any issue walking elsewhere in public (Home Depot/stores, parks, downtown/City). it is just in our neighborhood.

any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,575 Posts
The pup is probably going through a fear period. All puppies go through them in varying degrees at different points as they develop.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts