Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, thought I would update all of you on the status of our Koda Bear. I originally posted the following thread:

http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com...standard/91490-blisters-nose.html#post1350508

Koda responded well to the antibiotic and anti-inflammatory - things seemed to be healing nicely, however, with only only one more day of the antibiotic left, he started to be lethargic and lose his appetite -- wasn't drinking or eating much of anything. Took him in to make sure he wasn't dehydrated, which he wasn't (only because we were getting anything we could in him).

Things didn't improve over the weekend, and in fact we noticed his lower eyelids beginning to droop and the red of his eyes showing. By this morning, his left eye was swollen (inner eyelid VERY swollen). Got him in to the vet at noon and the condition had worsened so badly - it was about 3 - 4 times more swollen than it was in the morning. They did blood work - we'll have the results tomorrow. Did a test for tick-borne diseases. Negative. Have an appointment tomorrow with a veterinary ophthalmologist. However, I've since read about Puppy Strangles.
The only thing is, every time we've brought him in, his lymph nodes are normal, and he's not running a temp.

So worried . . . please keep Koda in your prayers. Thanks for listening.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I'm so so sorry that Koda is having these problems. I don't have any experience with these symtoms, but I hope the lab work gives the vet some direction in pinpointing a diagnosis and treatment plan. I would consider a second opinion to deal with the lethargy and inappetance. Certainly an ophthalmologist for his eye issue but the other symptoms I would want addressed as quickly as possible too. I'll keep your boy in my thoughts and prayers for a quick diagnosis and successful treatment. Please keep us posted.

·
Missing Tasha, Sky, & Ral
3,380 Posts
I am so sorry Koda is not feeling well. I have no experience with his symptoms but we will keep him in our prayers. Please let us know how the vet appointment goes.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Sending healing thoughts to Koda.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I will keep your Koda in my prayers. Wish I had some answers for you but I dont know what it could be.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Puppy strangles affects much younger puppies... and I have seen a puppy with strangles that had a prescapular lymph node enlarged instead of the submandibular lymph nodes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone for the continued prayers. We're still dumbfounded as to what can be causing these symptoms in Koda. The blood work came back normal with the exception of his white blood cell count almost double what it should be - indicative of an infection. He tested negative for blasto in the eye. The eye doctor put him on an antibiotic, said to continue drops and we'll touch base tomorrow. Eye was looking much better yesterday, but today blew back up again - although I did notice him scratching it a few times. Wondering if he's just irritated it more with the scratching. Time to get a cone. They put him on Baytril. He's has 2 days dosage of this. Unfortunately his appetite has not improved. I'm more concerned that I can't get him to drink much of anything at all. We'll call the vet again tomorrow. Hoping for improvement and some clues. My 13 year old daughter, who is a pet-lover to the max, is taking all of this pretty hard.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Positive thoughts coming your way for Koda, I hope the meds help to sort him out & that he's back to normal very soon...

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Hoping Koda bear is doing better today....how is his eyes today...is he eating or drinking?? Prayers for the lil guy..:crossfing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts