Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our golden is about a year and 6 months now. Over the past couple of months he has randomly snapped/growled a few times. The first 2 times were when strangers were holding a baby. They walked over to him to pet him, but he freaked out and started growling. We weren't sure why he did this and thought it was a baby thing, but this past weekend we took him camping around a lot of people/strangers and when kids or adults went to go pet him, he did the same thing. He snapped and growled at them like he did not want them to touch him.

We take him on daily walks at night and we have friends/family over the time and he has never done anything like this except for these times. Is it a stranger thing and will he grow out of this??

This is our 2nd golden and our first never did anything like this.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
13 Posts
hmmmm, I'm definitely no expert, but I've never really heard of Golden's behaving like this before. Hopefully he'll just out grow it. Is it a really vicious sounding growl?

·
Premium Member
18,411 Posts
First have a vet exam to rule out any possible health causes for the change in behavior, then you should find a good behavior evaluator and have him evaluated and get help with this.

·
Kristy
9,824 Posts
I second the advice from Mylissyk. You are right to be taking it seriously. Get the vet work up ASAP.
And make sure you get thyroid included. In the meantime, no strangers petting him. Is he neutered? If vet doesn't find anything, ask for a referral to a certified veterinary behaviorist. It is a good investment in the long run.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts