Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Colter is 3 months old, yesterday. We got him about 3 weeks ago and when he was with the breeder she would get up at 5:30am, and she'd get the litter up to go out. We are night owls and struggle to get up until 6:30am. That last hour is mighty precious when you lay your head down to sleep near the Witching hour each night.

I would have thought that by 3 weeks he'd be used to our pattern, but he does not seem to be just yet. He's sleeps in a crate in our bedroom and generally starts to rouse around 4:00-4:30 am. If he wakens he begins to whimper. At that point we get up and go outside with him. He really does not seem all that interested in going potty, as he heads to his food bowl first.

I did try feeding him one night a little extra, but then he wanted out around 1:30 to go potty, and still began whimpering around 5-5:30a.

Should we be letting him out at these early hours, as this only reinforces the pattern? Though it seems cruel to leave him in his crate whimpering to come out. Or is this just the puppiness and soon he will be able to last longer?

Our last Golden slept fine in her crate from puppy onward. The crate is in our room now, but will eventually be moved to a different place in the house. When is a good time to make that move? Our rescue Aussie does not sleep in the crate as it appears it may have been used as punishment in her past.

Anyhow, I guess I'm looking for some puppy sleeping through the night advice...

Here is a photo of him getting sleepy, 'cause what is a puppy thread, without a picture of the puppy in question?!?!? :)

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you let him out when he whimpers it should be just to go potty and then right back into the crate. If you aren't already doing this you should take away his water a few hours before bed and that will help with his need to go to the bathroom.

If you find he isn't going potty then I would just let him whimper and hopefully he stops after a while (maybe invest in some nice ear plugs).

Also, even if he is going potty...I think a 3 month old should be able to hold it all night. Ada was making it from 9pm-6am by 2.5 months so I don't think it would be cruel to make him hold it an extra hour.

Oh also...CUTE PUPPY!!! His face is adorable!

·
Registered
38 Posts
our puppy is almost 4 months old and he goes to bed with us around 10 or 10:30 and sleeps until 7:30 or all the way until 8 or 8:30 on weekends.
He did go through a spell of waking around 4:30 or 5 and I would take him straight out to pee...no loving or petting (although I wanted to, lol!) and straight back to his crate. I put a leash on him straight out of the crate so he would not run off all over the house. He did whine for about 10 or 15 min. but he settled down and went to sleep...that only happened for about 2 nights or so. Also, is your room super dark? I keep our room very dark and that seems to help. Our little Fred LOVES bed time, LOL!
Let him whine, he will be okay and he will learn that its not quite time to get up yet.
Your pup is SUPER cute!

·
Premium Member
4,649 Posts
Every puppy I've had has been different. I had one that needed to go out in the middle of the night until she was 9 months old. I think that was the extreme. I've had pups that make it through the night at 10 weeks. They are all different. Let your pup decide what they need. No love during the night though. I'd make it quick and simple.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Colter is 3 months old, yesterday. We got him about 3 weeks ago and when he was with the breeder she would get up at 5:30am, and she'd get the litter up to go out. We are night owls and struggle to get up until 6:30am. That last hour is mighty precious when you lay your head down to sleep near the Witching hour each night.

I would have thought that by 3 weeks he'd be used to our pattern, but he does not seem to be just yet. He's sleeps in a crate in our bedroom and generally starts to rouse around 4:00-4:30 am. If he wakens he begins to whimper. At that point we get up and go outside with him. He really does not seem all that interested in going potty, as he heads to his food bowl first.

I did try feeding him one night a little extra, but then he wanted out around 1:30 to go potty, and still began whimpering around 5-5:30a.

Should we be letting him out at these early hours, as this only reinforces the pattern? Though it seems cruel to leave him in his crate whimpering to come out. Or is this just the puppiness and soon he will be able to last longer?

Our last Golden slept fine in her crate from puppy onward. The crate is in our room now, but will eventually be moved to a different place in the house. When is a good time to make that move? Our rescue Aussie does not sleep in the crate as it appears it may have been used as punishment in her past.

Anyhow, I guess I'm looking for some puppy sleeping through the night advice...

Here is a photo of him getting sleepy, 'cause what is a puppy thread, without a picture of the puppy in question?!?!? :)
Cali is 9 weeks old, she just started sleeping through 9:30 till 5:30
The first couple of nites were rough so much barking and carrying on
I had to sleep on the floor beside the crate at one point lol

I hope she manages to keep to this schedule as I have been almost 2 weeks with broken sleep, getting up twice sometimes three times.
I take her water after 8 and no more treats or food.

She has stopped barking like crazy and now I hear a little whinning and then the big plop down as if to say fine then lol I will sleep but I don't want too!...if she has to go out she will keep up with the whinning.. then I get up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts