Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Don
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A breeder I knew is expecting a litter and I'm about to reserve my puppy:grin2:.My question is, can I tell what it's full grown size will be, the sire is on the large side (27in 77pounds) and the dam is petite (21in 55 pounds)
They both have exceptional personalities, but I would like one that looks like the sire for hunting.

·
Don
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He is unusual in many ways and a field champion(one reason I wont my puppy to take after him). If you think 27in is big you should see his brother who's made it to a whopping 31in!

·
Kate
20,729 Posts
He is unusual in many ways and a field champion(one reason I wont my puppy to take after him). If you think 27in is big you should see his brother who's made it to a whopping 31in!
Yuck. :(

That's taller than a St. Bernard.

Just curious - what is the dad's name? Am wondering who is breeding a dog so far out of standard... :(

·
Don
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I picked this breeder because the sire of this litter come's from the same line as my golden I lost at 13 and a half.He died in his sleep quit comfortably earlier this year.He was the longest living golden I've ever owned, and from what I understand that is what the breeders pride themselves in.
The oldest dog they breed lived to 19

·
Kate
20,729 Posts
I picked this breeder because the sire of this...
You said the sire is a field champion who is 3" taller than breed standard. And has a brother who is 1" taller than St. Bernards (male saints are 28-30").

I'm very curious who the breeder is that is breeding dogs who do not meet the breed standard. All the more so if the sire is a field champion.

·
Don
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So sorry for the mix up the sire is 57cm.
I forgot in my wife's handwriting 5 look like 2
boy do i feel dumb;( As to his big brother,the breeder told us he was neutered at 1 and never bred do to his size

·
Don
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did have another question, I read a paper recently(https://www.ucdavis.edu/news/golden-retriever-study-suggests-neutering-affects-dog-health/)about neutered guldens being at higher risk for developing certain cancers and joint diseases I know this deepens a lot on the age of the puppy when he is neutered.
I asked my vet and they said it didn't make much of a difference.Anyhow I do plane on neutering him at 6month,but I wonted to know if any of you read the study, and if you think it would make much of a difference for the overall health or longevity of a golden?

·
Puddles
3,400 Posts
I read that and there are lots of studies to say you should wait until they are through growing. They need those hormones to mature properly. I honestly wouldn't have a male fixed at all. Spays/neuter too soon and they end up with long legs because the growth plate keep growing. This can cause joint problems & arthritis in the joints. What's the hurry on the neuter?
Remember that the 6 month rule vets usually go by has nothing about what's best for the dog. Way too many strays seen by vets so they suggest getting it done early. Be a responsible owner and you have no reason to do it this early.

Be sure and check your contract if you have one, most breeders specify to wait until 18 to 24 months.

·
Don
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The breeder suggested neutering at 1, but I always thought the sooner the better right?
My sister dose not agree at all and says nature made them one way and its not up to her to ''fix'' it.She has two unaltered females for 10 years now and never had a problem with unwonted litters.I tell her not everybody is able protect their females from, should I say, the unwonted attention of nearby males.She simply says that their not responsible owner.This type of conversation usually ends up with me getting frustrated and her looking smug
Now, since reading that article, it ends with me looking confused and my sister looking really smug.

·
Puddles
3,400 Posts
LOL I like your sister :) but honestly at least wait until 2 yrs. Be a good owner and mindful of where your dog is and it won't matter if he is fixed or not.

·
Don
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I will wait to neuter until he is older, and by then maybe I'll let hem stay ''natural''.
All that is if I get a puppy from this litter.I might look for another breeder.

·
Puddles
3,400 Posts
If you want to post reg. names &/or numbers the forum can help you verify the health clearances on OFA. Might help with your breeder decision. If you are looking for a field line there are lots of people on here that hunt and willing to help you.

·
Ann
385 Posts
I read that and there are lots of studies to say you should wait until they are through growing. They need those hormones to mature properly. I honestly wouldn't have a male fixed at all. Spays/neuter too soon and they end up with long legs because the growth plate keep growing. This can cause joint problems & arthritis in the joints. What's the hurry on the neuter?
Remember that the 6 month rule vets usually go by has nothing about what's best for the dog. Way too many strays seen by vets so they suggest getting it done early. Be a responsible owner and you have no reason to do it this early.

Be sure and check your contract if you have one, most breeders specify to wait until 18 to 24 months.
I agree completely with Puddles and so does my vet. We’re waiting to have Bear neutered until he’s at least 2. He only has one testicle so we have to have him neutered at some point as a retained testicle can lead to testicular cancer. But, I intend to wait as long as possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
OP - Do a Google search for "UC Davis Golden Retriever Spay/Neuter study" and "Zink Spay/Neuter canine athlete" to find more articles on why many of us are choosing to leave our dogs (especially the boys) intact. You can do a similar search on this forum, as it's been discussed often.

·
Don
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What are your thoughts on removing dew claws by breeders?
And I would really like to know if puppies take after the sire or dam when it comes to size

·
Don
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would love help looking for a breeder as I am looking for a very specific look in my dog.
I like the red but not red like Irish setters also I prefer the square head to the more round type.
I have decided to not to get a puppy from the breeder I mentioned earlier, as my wife and I decided to wait till after our baby is born, so maybe the end of this year beginning of next.I like the looking of North Western Goldens, but know nothing of their quality, anybody here bought a puppy from them? Or do you know breeders with similar looking dogs?Location is not a problem.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts