Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I currently have a 4 month old Golden girl and she's been showing what I believe are signs of aggression for a few weeks now. From when I first introduced her to other dogs, she'll get playful but all of a sudden will start snarling and get on top of another dog trying to dominate them. She's typically hesitant of other dogs but this almost always ends up happening at least once during a play session. Another sign is that she growls so much if you get too close. For example, if I try praising her and I get close to her face, she'll start growling at me and has even bit me a few times. Other times is when she gets picked up or moved around, which is sometimes necessary. I'm really trying to stay patient with her, but it's very hard to not get upset when she does this and especially when she breaks the skin.

Am I seeing some signs of aggression or am I just overthinking this??

Thanks

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
It is most likely normal untrained puppy behavior. Have you done any puppy classes? If you use the search box here, click on Advanced and put in quotes "aggressive puppy" you will see hundreds of threads about this. I would limit the dogs she plays with to a few older dogs that are good with puppies.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Start teaching obedience and stop letting her play with other dogs.

·
Registered
274 Posts
It is a bit difficult to interpret what you are describing without seeing it, but the PPs are spot on. These threads about puppies are ubiquitous here. Is she mouthy and relaxed (playful - this is normal) when you are seeing this or stiff and clearly upset (this is much more concerning)? A good trainer could help you interpret what it is that you are seeing. Training is more important than free dog play. Some dogs handle the play well and others do not.

The growling your are describing at people is concerning, but again, it is hard to interpret without seeing it. Is it possibly playful (relaxed body and egging you on for play, because THAT would be normal?) If what is happening is as innocuous as you describe and she is stiff and on guard, no, it does not sound normal for a golden. Who is your breeder and have you spoken with them? Were the parents tested for NCL?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts