Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. My 15 week old retriever has been scratching a lot the past couple of weeks but it has gotten progressively worse the past week. He is scratching his belly area and had irritated one of his nipples because of the scratching. He also seems to have a red rash from itching so much. He got flea’d last week so it’s not fleas. It’s not allergy to his kibble as we have switched him to just chicken and rice the past 5 days. I’m wondering if anyone has experienced this with their retriever before and how you combatted it? Apart from the scratching he is in great spirits

·
Registered
Lucy
14 Posts
I am new to Goldens and learning too. Got my pup in the fall (not a scratcher at all --then or thru the Winter). Last month, she has been scratching a lot. I am wondering if it is allergies. As a doting MOM, I started scratching her itchy areas for her (as a joke) and now I wonder if she does it purposefully. LOL. I am not making fun but sometimes this is the case. Most often, she is laying peacefully .... wakes up and really aggressivesly starts scratching a paw, a hind leg, thigh, etc. I do not know if allergies are common in GRs.

·
Premium Member
18,566 Posts
Lucy Noble - Allergies are very common in Goldens. the problems you are seeing with your dog are most likely environmental allergies.

r.flaherty - I would also think environmental allergies with your dog as well. Or, have you given him a bath recently? What shampoo did you use if you did?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts