Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regulars on here know that I'm a volunteer breeder caretaker with a national service dog organization. (I don't give the specific name in general posts because I don't want it to be perceived as a donation request and I want it clear that all thoughts expressed are mine and not those of the organization.)

My breeder girl's first litter turns 2 years old tomorrow, January 5. There were 8 puppies in that first litter and all 8 were turned in for advanced training back in November of 2019. Sadly, the x-rays for one of the girls showed mild ED in one elbow. (Having watched how this girl likes to sail through the air, I suspect it was probably injury related but whatever the cause the organization can't risk making her a breeder -in case it is genetic- and she certainly can't be made a working assistance dog with an ED diagnosis. For clarification, all breeders the organization owns and uses are health screened so her momma and sire had normal elbows, but two unaffected Labs can produce a puppy with ED.) The girl is being medically released and her puppy raiser is taking her back. However, the organization won't officially release a dog from its ownership until it's been spayed or neutered. Since this decision was made just before Christmas, the organization can't spay her until January 9.

I hated for her to stay in the organization's kennels until then so I agreed to foster her until the 9th and then again for a week or so post spay. Her puppy raiser lives in the Pacific Northwest and we happen to have a trip by RV scheduled so we're going to deliver the puppy back to her puppy raiser on January 20. This means she will have stayed with me for about a month.

I've never fostered one of my girl's puppies before and this one is so sweet, just like her mommy. She really has so many of her mommy's mannerisms that it's somewhat uncanny. The puppy raiser did a terrific job teaching the basic commands. She is so well behaved. We are falling in love with her just like we love her momma!

I'm glad the puppy raisers want her back. That's who she lived with from 8 weeks until turn in at 22 months so I know the puppy will be thrilled to be reunited with them. Still, it's going to be sad to say goodbye! We're really enjoying having her! There's a photo attached. Daughter is on the left. Momma is on the right.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
I know the puppy raised probably wanted her to go into service but I also imagine they are ecstatic to be getting her back. It's such a sacrificial thing to love and raise a puppy for almost 2 years and then give it up. I admire people who can. They are beautiful girls.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
They look like bookends! Very pretty.

Reactions: GoldenDude
1 - 7 of 7 Posts