Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, so for quite some time now my 4 month old puppy has had a skin rash. A little while after we brought him home we noticed that on the bare part of his belly by his "boy parts", he had dark splotches. We thought they were dirt and tried wiping it off and it wouldn't come off. A few weeks later we noticed him constantly scratching himself all over non-stop. We noticed he had flees. We went to the vet and got him the comfortis pill. The flees disappeared quickly but there was absolutely no relief with his itching. So we took him to our vet, at that time we were also dealing with some parasites that he had gotten a week or so before, so we were doing follow up fecal test for that and they decided to see if maybe he still had parasites that were causing the skin problems. They did the fecal, and found no parasites. So then they did a skin scraping for mites or any kind of bugs. Nothing. I believe they may have done two skin scrapings thus far. Both ending up negative. So our vet then came to the conclusion that it must be something bacterial, maybe he was allergic to something or rolled around in something and he got the outbreak. So our vet has him on some antibiotics now. Boone (our puppy) has been on it for I believe one and a half or two weeks and the rash is still there, and is not showing ANY signs of clearing up. The rash starts out as pus filled, little red bumps and as it scabs up it turns brown. Its under on his tummy, inside of his legs, I think it's on his elbows as well because he itches them quite a bit (although I haven't actually seen bumps on his elbows, but I'm sure if he's itching then it's there also), and the backs of his legs. I have taken quite a lot of antibiotics myself, and I know from my experiences, once I start taking them the illness/outbreak or whatever the problem is clears up almost immediately. I'm not an expert at dog medicine but it seems like it would be getting pretty cleared up by now. We still have about 4 or 5 pills left to give him, and were not scheduled back for another visit for a couple weeks, when he'll get his last set of vaccinations, but I just wanted to ask you guys, who most of you I know have owned quite a few dogs, and have been through experiences like this, am I'm right about these antibiotics not doing a thing? I'm thinking I'm gonna call the vet tomorrow and tell them we want something else done or were going elsewhere because I hate seeing my dog be uncomfortable and I hate wasting my time there. Do you think we should find a better vet? What would y'all do? I know this is really pretty long, and I REALLY appreciate it if you read all of it or even skimmed it :) Have a great night!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Finn had a similiar description of a rash and it was a staph infection. Our vet who is fabulous said GR /labs are prone to this. We used a chlorahexdrine wash qvery 3 days x 4 and it cleared. Has never come back!

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Food allergies can be a culprit too and the only fix is to try a gradual food change, but then feed for at least a few months. Changing food can really cause tummy upsets, so change and let them stay with new food for a many weeks before changing again. Sometimes doing it this way you can tell what he might be allergic to and thus avoid.

If you can find a holistic Vet in your area you could try them. They work much more with food/allergy symptoms plus regular medical concerns.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
I would not wait two weeks for your scheduled visit...
To me it sounds like he needs a different antibiotic and maybe a short prednisone burst to help with the itching along with some medicated shampoo or wash. Because he will probably be on yet another course of antibiotics, you may want to ask for some Fortiflora (or another probiotic) to help his gut handle the antibiotics.

He is clearly effected by flea bites and may have a have a bad reaction to fleas for the rest of his life.

I hope he is on monthly worming meds and flea meds now...poor little guy :(

IMO, this is not a bad-vet issue at all. Treating flea issues/parasite issues/skin infections can separately be tricky to diagnose and treat....but to have all three can be even more difficult..

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I think it could be bacterial or just the allergic reaction from the fleas.

You could try getting some of the Microtek shampoo and washing him in it for a few weeks to see if it resolves. Beamer had a bacterial infection and that is all I did for it and it went away in about a month with bi-weekly baths.

·
Musician/Songwriter
380 Posts
Sounds to me like impetego. Has you vet checked for this. It is usually found on the bald spots of the dog such as tummy and private parts. Dab some hydrogen peroxide on the affected area and see if it starts to clear up. It is a bacterial infection and can be spread easily if the puppy licks the area. Usually appears in pups less than a year old. On e of my pups had it once. Try the peroxide. If you see improvement, they can prescribe a targeted antibiotic.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Abowman, I have been wondering myself if it might be a staph infection. I am going to bring that up with the vet at his next appt.
@Libertyme, He has been on fortiflora because he was having diarrhea, but that was before he was put on antibiotics I believe and his diarrhea went away. His flees have been gone for quite some time now and his rash has not gotten any better so I don't believe that is the issue. And his coccidia was already almost gone by the time this rash became really prevalent. I think that it is just staph or impetigo or something of that sort and our vet is just overlooking it. I am going to call the vet tomorrow to get something else going. Thank you for your guys' insight! It helped a lot :)

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
What antibiotic is he on? Some work better than others. I am a fan of cephalexin for skin. I am also a fan of 4% chlohexidene shampoo. You can wash just his rash several times/week and it will really help.

Reactions: LibertyME

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Food allergies are uncommon in dogs under one year of age.

Reactions: LibertyME

·
Marty~Mom to Husker
157 Posts
Our Lab had a skin rash while he was youngster. The vet. thought he might be allergic to grass or something outside after we ran tests, different food, fish oil, etc. She prescribed steroids which were horrible and didn't do anything. I then took him to a different vet. who gave me this steroid spray. We sprayed it on the effected areas (belly and inside legs) twice a day (there is a set amount of squirts per the weight of the dog) and would rub it in. The rash cleared up within a month and he never had issues with it again. Now I have no idea what "name" they ever gave this rash. Never really figured out what caused it but it sure was red and made him itch badly.
Just something else to ask the vet about (steroid spray).

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
When my elderly dog had a staph infection, it looked like dirt / dried skin. I actually thought it was dry skin, until the vet discovered it when he was being boarded. I was told that sometimes one round of antibiotic will not always fix the problem. He was on cephalexine and prescription shampoo, for at least a month ( may have even been longer ).

·
Registered
869 Posts
Sounds like a classic case of a staph infection to me. For infections of that type, I recommend cephalexin for skin problems. The cephalexin should clear it up right away!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts