Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been the proud owner of a golden retriever puppy for a month now. She's a 12-week rowdy little girl, and a very frequent and loud barker.

I've been taking her to puppy socials 3 times a week since she was 10 weeks, as well as letting her meet older dogs for short periods of time. At the first two socials, she was very shy and pretty much just hid under chairs. She finally came out of her shell at the third puppy social and started playing / wrestling with the other puppies.

The problem is ever since then, she's barking and jumping towards other puppies that may be more shy. She often does it with a play bow, but sometimes she's too forward with her eagerness to play. Sometimes the other puppies snap at her, and I'm advised by the supervisor to pick her up for a time-out.

I'm wondering if this could turn into aggression, or could cause other dogs to perceive her barking as aggression. I'm also worried that she could be hurt by another dog that does not want to play and is fed up with her.

Anyone experience this, and any advice on how to curb it?

·
Registered
172 Posts
She'll learn. Are the puppy socials off leash? Can you find something with older dogs? It shouldn't take more then a few corrections, by an older dog, to understand she can't rush up and greet like that. It shouldn't build to aggression as long as you address it now.

·
BowieGoblinKing
90 Posts
My puppy Bowie does the same thing and he is 18 weeks old now. He goes to daycare twice a week at his training school to help socialize him. He LOVES other dogs but comes off very confident for such a young pup. They have been partnering him with older dogs who put him in his place when he gets out of hand. If he starts barking when he play bows either the older dog corrects him or the trainers say, "That's enough" and he goes into a pen or a separate area for a minute until he calms down and they let him back out again. He has improved dramatically in just two weeks.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I can only offer my own experience with this. Bailey is currently 10 months old. When we first brought him home we had our 2 dogs and my daughter's 1 year old Dutch Shepherd with is (she was out of town so we had the granddog for a week). Bailey was a handful. He was so exuberant in his attempts to play that I worried he would be hurt. He would jump all over the other dogs and this behavior went over especially badly with my daughter's dog who was, himself, a very hyper dog. I tried picking Bailey up and holding him until he calmed down but the minute I put him down he was back at it. Matters finally came to a head one day when he became a little bit too rough with my 10 year old flat coated retriever cross, Gracie. Gracie is, and always has been, a very quiet and gentle dog. We refer to her as the peacemaker in the house. Bailey was jumping all over her and in spite of being picked up many times and being told no repeatedly Bailey continued with his puppy shenanigans. Gracie had enough. She gently took him by the scruff of the neck as a mother dog would do and held on until he calmed down. It was quite amazing to watch. Over the course of that day I saw her do it several times. Each time Bailey calmed down. I figured I could learn from Gracie so the next time Bailey began to attempt really rough play with the other dogs I gently took Bailey by the scruff of his neck and held on quietly telling him no. It worked! I did it every time I caught him being too rough with the other dogs. Within a week he had settled down and was playing quite a bit more gently. Puppies do need to play and play biting is a normal thing but sometimes it does get a little rough. In the wild the alpha dog will keep the pups in line so that no one is seriously hurt. Gracie served as the alpha dog in our house and I just followed her lead. I don't know if this will be of any use to you but it worked to calm Bailey down and no one was hurt:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured I could learn from Gracie so the next time Bailey began to attempt really rough play with the other dogs I gently took Bailey by the scruff of his neck and held on quietly telling him no. It worked!
I will definitely give this a try! I've seen other pet owners do this and it'll probably be more effective than picking her up and holding her.

The puppy socials are all off-leash, and she also gets some off-leash time in puppy class.

She had a play date with my friend's older dog, and the older dog gave her a warning growl and a nip when she was too excited. She eventually backed off or got bored. Not sure which one it was.

I wish I had an older dog so she could learn more about acceptable play, but I'm doing my best to give her as much exposure as possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts