Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My next day off from work I plan on puppy proofing the house for his arrival in the next few days! (8 to be exact).
I will have my kids and I scour the floor looking for small objects, securing cords, and removing items that the puppy shouldn’t be around. I will move the cat food. Bleach my hard floors. Carpet clean the rugs, carpets, couches, and power wash the porch and treat with bleach. I will also construct his potty area with a kiddie pool and piece of sod.
What else should I do? The majority of my furniture has metal legs. I plan on setting up his exercise pen and preparing that as well. I’m thinking of getting an office chair mat to go under the xpen to protect the floors.
What else???

·
Registered
44 Posts
You can get some Bitter Apple to spray on items like chair legs or rugs that pup might want to chew on. It is very safe. Vets sometimes spray it on casts to discourage chewing. Child-proof outlet covers may be useful. You might consider buying a piece of sheet vinyl to put under the xpen. Office chair mats are rather small. I also recommend a crate for pup. It will be pup's special place and will help with potty training. You really don't have to disinfect your entire house unless it is really dirty. You might consider cleaning with vinegar instead of bleach. It kills germs and is less toxic. Most of all, relax and enjoy your new pup. Spend time just holding and loving and playing with that baby. Good luck!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Honestly, I’d skip cleaning the carpets. You’re going to likely have some type of accidents at some point.

I used a waterproof mattress pad for the XPen with my 18 month old but I think I took it down after two weeks because it was just in my way.

socks and shoes need a place. Biggest thing to reiterate to kids. And even adults. And if you don’t want puppy in kids rooms, make sure doors closed! Adults too! That’s when things go awry!

my place is pretty good for the pup coming home in 11 days. I keep shoes and socks away from my sock loving 18 month old.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Baby gates are key imo. We had three blocking off the kitchen when Luna was really little and we still have baby gates closing off the basement and the upstairs.

I second the Bitter Apple (or Bitter Yuck) suggestion - it doesn't work for all pups but it works for mine so I love it. That's how my Christmas ornaments stayed on the tree the last two years.

Check the house for any rugs that would be tempting to chew on. Luna couldn't resist rope rugs, anything with tassels or natural jute fiber. I removed all of those types of rugs and replaced them with cheap low pile synthetic rugs (rugsusa.com got a lot of business from me when we got a puppy :).

Honestly, though, I don't think it's possible to keep a house 100% puppy proof all of the time especially with kids. If you haven't gotten a crate yet I highly recommend that you do.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have a crate ✅
Xpen ✅
Only carpet is in the kids bedrooms which doors will be shut. We have hard floors and have 1 living room area rug that I want to clean because I don’t want him to get germs from it since we wear our shoes in the house. At least until he gets his vaccines I’m trying to keep him healthy so that’s why I’m cleaning carpets couches and bleaching floors. Will institute no shoes policy after I clean.
I will definitely pick up some bitter spray to have thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bleach is the only household cleaner that will kill parvovirus. Not that I’ve had parvovirus on my property but I’ve been to pet stores and public places so I just want to be extra cautious.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts