Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My boyfriend and I got our golden puppy (Albus) last Friday, he’ll be 9 weeks old on Friday!
He’s our first puppy so I’m not sure if all of his behaviour is normal but just looking for some tips/reassurance because we’re really sleep deprived and struggling.
He’s a funny mix of independent and needy- he doesn’t like many cuddles but he whines and scratches the door whenever one of us leaves him, even if one of us is still there with him. Then today we got home from the vets and he was whining at the front door like he wanted to go back there and then had a wee on the floor there when he’d just been to the toilet. He’s started doing this more. We’re crate training but he’s not taking to it well- he had free reign where he grew up and could go outside whenever he wanted so I think it’s a shock to him. My boyfriend is sleeping in the lounge with him, where his crate is, but he just cries and cries when he’s locked in. He settles with some assurance but realistically he needs to be able to settle himself. We’re trying less assurance tonight and I can hear him howling/crying so loudly now. On the first night we tried to let him settle for 10 mins but he did a poo and then it was quite chaotic...
He’s also been humping his bedding as well as my leg (not boyfriend) and is really mouthy.
Is this all normal puppy stuff? What can we do to help him? He just doesn’t seem very happy- the vets said he was fine today though and was really calm/lovely.
We’ve been trying to positively reinforce everything but it’s quite difficult when he won’t get off my leg and is being a bit of a nightmare.
Rach

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
It sounds like he needs more exercise (the humping could be an outlet for excess energy). As for the pottying...he’s only 9 weeks and can’t control his bladder. He is NOT peeing for attention, dogs aren’t spiteful like humans are in that way. He just needs more consistent potty training, and perhaps more exercise outside.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
He’s nine weeks old. That’s an infant. My vet said they don’t even know the pee is coming themselves until they are at least 12 weeks old. With consistent and proper training, he will probably stop having accidents all together by five or six months old.
Mine sleeps in a crate in the bedroom with us. He’s crying because he’s in a new situation and being left alone after being taken from his litter mates. That doesn’t cause feelings of security.

And yes, Golden puppies are mouthy. Teething will probably make it worse. Give him things to chew on. There are quite a lot of teething toys.

Perhaps it would help to read a book on Golden Retriever puppies for an overview. This site is very helpful also.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My guy was a big humper when we got him. It is just a behavior when they are excited. We worked a lot on sit and other behaviors he could do that were not compatible with humping. I also tried to make sure that he didn’t get opportunities to practice. If he was humping a toy I would rotate it up or exchange it for something else. He is 15 weeks now and it has pretty much stopped.

·
Premium Member
18,411 Posts
100% normal puppy. He is an infant, he has no idea what house training is, he won't even begin to understand the concept until he is at least 5 months old, and he most definitely is not peeing for attention. He does not have control of his bladder, and it is too small for him to hold it very long. He needs to be taken outside to potty every 20 to 30 minutes while he is awake. If he is whining at the door take him out, every time, even if he just went.

Remember, until just a few days ago he was living with his whole family and he was never alone. You are his family now and he needs to be with you. Be patient, and be kind to him when he is scared and lonely.

This is a really good article to read through.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It sounds like he needs more exercise (the humping could be an outlet for excess energy). As for the pottying...he’s only 9 weeks and can’t control his bladder. He is NOT peeing for attention, dogs aren’t spiteful like humans are in that way. He just needs more consistent potty training, and perhaps more exercise outside.
Thanks for your reply! I agree about the energy- do you have tips on how to make him run around? He gets really distracted and starts eating/digging (which I know is totally normal) and then when I get him interested in chasing a toy it usually end up with him biting my trousers, growling and not letting go. After some time I can distract him with a sit, followed with a treat but it’s quite a painful process haha

·
Kristy
9,821 Posts
You've had some good responses, I just was thinking that since this is your first puppy you might want to have some good books to read through. Not sure if your libraries are open now, mine are not. But a lot of virtual libraries are open and things can be ordered. Dr. Ian Dunbar, "Before and After Bringing your PUppy Home" is excellent, "Puppy Primer" by Patricia McConnell, "How to Raise a Puppy You can Live with ", "social, civil and savvy"by Laura Baugh. "Crate Training for Dummies" is another goodone.

Enjoy these first weeks with your puppy, I know it's a little stressful but he'll grow so fast and won't be so little for long. Get him outside for lots of freshair and playtime in between crate time. We'd love to see photos, you didn't once mention his name. Does he have a name yet?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You've had some good responses, I just was thinking that since this is your first puppy you might want to have some good books to read through. Not sure if your libraries are open now, mine are not. But a lot of virtual libraries are open and things can be ordered. Dr. Ian Dunbar, "Before and After Bringing your PUppy Home" is excellent, "Puppy Primer" by Patricia McConnell, "How to Raise a Puppy You can Live with ", "social, civil and savvy"by Laura Baugh. "Crate Training for Dummies" is another goodone.

Enjoy these first weeks with your puppy, I know it's a little stressful but he'll grow so fast and won't be so little for long. Get him outside for lots of freshair and playtime in between crate time. We'd love to see photos, you didn't once mention his name. Does he have a name yet?
Thanks! We have lots of books but I don’t feel prepared at all now he’s here haha he’s called Albus! He’s a bit chap- over 7 kg already.. the vet was really surprised!
He slept pretty well last night so we’ve been out playing.. it started with a pair of ripped trousers but ended with a really good training sesh, he’s having a nap now.
He was growling whilst latching on to my trousers.. can i desensitise him from baggy trackie bottoms at this age? He loves them 🙈

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! We have lots of books but I don’t feel prepared at all now he’s here haha he’s called Albus! He’s a bit chap- over 7 kg already.. the vet was really surprised!
He slept pretty well last night so we’ve been out playing.. it started with a pair of ripped trousers but ended with a really good training sesh, he’s having a nap now.
He was growling whilst latching on to my trousers.. can i desensitise him from baggy trackie bottoms at this age? He loves them 🙈

·
Super Moderator
1,713 Posts
aww he's lovely! like the others said he's just a baby so manage your expectations on toilet training. for the humping you can use a toy to redirect him or just firmly stop him when he tries to do that. He thinks your pants are the toy now, so you have to offer him something more interesting to get him to stop biting them! this extremely mouthy stage will pass soon.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Awwww. Albus is precious. Love the name.

I stopped the pants thing when mine was very young by wearing leggings or workout pants. I know that’s not training, but it stopped it and now he doesn’t do it even if I’m wearing pajama pants. That stage doesn’t last long, but it can get old — especially pre-coffee. 😅

·
Registered
835 Posts
One exercise suggestion is to play a "come" game. Go out with your boyfriend and each have a bunch of delicious treats (you can even do this with one of his meals and just use the kibble as a treat, as long as that's motivating enough for him). Have Albus on a long line (20-30 feet) and sit about that distance apart and call the puppy back and forth between you. Not only will that wear him out a bit but it's money in the bank for teaching him to come. Obviously he won't initially know what "come" means, but you can say "come" immediately followed by his name, or kissy noises, or "puppy, puppy, puppy," or even running away from him (puppies love to chase) and eventually he'll associate "come" with coming to you. If he isn't responding to any of those cues then either find a higher value treat or put him on two long lines (with each of you holding one line) so that you can gently "insist" he come to you when you call (be sure to praise/pet/treat when he finally gets to you).

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
One exercise suggestion is to play a "come" game. Go out with your boyfriend and each have a bunch of delicious treats (you can even do this with one of his meals and just use the kibble as a treat, as long as that's motivating enough for him). Have Albus on a long line (20-30 feet) and sit about that distance apart and call the puppy back and forth between you. Not only will that wear him out a bit but it's money in the bank for teaching him to come. Obviously he won't initially know what "come" means, but you can say "come" immediately followed by his name, or kissy noises, or "puppy, puppy, puppy," or even running away from him (puppies love to chase) and eventually he'll associate "come" with coming to you. If he isn't responding to any of those cues then either find a higher value treat or put him on two long lines (with each of you holding one line) so that you can gently "insist" he come to you when you call (be sure to praise/pet/treat when he finally gets to you).
We've been doing this since early on and it works! I've been able to test it -- even when he was chasing a lizard -- and he turned immediately and came to me. I take Logan out each evening to work on recall.

·
Registered
876 Posts
A cute puppy for sure. Most agree that to compare the age equivalency of a dog to a human it is 1 dog yr. = 6 human yrs(although some say 7 years).! This is fundamentally true I think, for their mental maturity and somewhat applies to their physical abilities, except of course puppies can walk right away.

Therefore, your puppy at 9 weeks is equivalent to a human infant at about 1 year. Remembering this will help you better understand what is happening. He cannot control his bladder or bowels, his attention span is short, he likes to play, sleep, eat, and pee/poop! He will be a 'land shark' with needle fine teeth until he loses them around16-20 weeks.
A friend of mine wrote a good book for new Golden Retriever owners, you can order it on Amazon it is a paperback and does not cost much, but it has all good information....check it out!

Golden Retrievers for Dummies
Book by Nona Kilgore Bauer

·
Registered
33 Posts
He is so cute! As time goes by, you'll learn to read his cues better about when he has to go outside and things that trigger random pees/poops. Sounds like maybe he's peeing/pooping when he gets anxious? Our dog does that even if he just had a recent pee. Things like excited play and smelling bitter apple have made him pee "again".

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awwww. Albus is precious. Love the name.

I stopped the pants thing when mine was very young by wearing leggings or workout pants. I know that’s not training, but it stopped it and now he doesn’t do it even if I’m wearing pajama pants. That stage doesn’t last long, but it can get old — especially pre-coffee. 😅
Thanks!!! I’ve changed trousers so fingers crossed 😊🐶

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
He is so cute! As time goes by, you'll learn to read his cues better about when he has to go outside and things that trigger random pees/poops. Sounds like maybe he's peeing/pooping when he gets anxious? Our dog does that even if he just had a recent pee. Things like excited play and smelling bitter apple have made him pee "again".
Yeah I think it is anxious peeing- just not too sure why he gets anxious sometimes.. hopefully he’ll settle even more in the next few days. He loves new people so I think being on lockdown is ruining his fun :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh thank you! We’ll be sure to give this a try. My boyfriend got him to chase him with a giraffe before so hopefully he’ll love this game!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts