Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Our almost 4 month old is OBSESSED with eating sticks, snow, ice, mud, grass, wood chips, leaves, ANYTHING outdoors that he can fit in his mouth. Why!!! Will this ever stop? Only concern is that he'll get something stuck in him. I have to run after him every time and try to catch him and pull whatever out of his mouth. He's not too interested in rocks but little pebbles? Oh sure. He thinks it's hilarious to grab a stick and run around the yard and then proceed to chew it up 馃槀

Registered
If you haven't already, teaching him drop it or leave it command might help. However, if he is constantly eating stuff you don't want to overuse the command to the point where he just ignores it. Might be useful in situations when you think he's got something that could hurt him.
My pup has always been obsessed with eating leaves. At 8 months it has gotten a little better but he still goes after them regularly.

Registered
My 9 week old is having a field day with sticks, leaves, and moss. My goldens, pup is the fourth have all done this most of their lives. I still have the last stick my 14 1/2 year old brought in the house before I put her down In September. I couldn鈥檛 bring myself to throw it away. It鈥檚 amazing what they eat. Good luck teaching a reliable drop command to a golden puppy. I鈥檓 working that command with toys. She鈥檚 doing well but it will be awhile before it translates to outside.

Super Moderator Leader
Our almost 4 month old is OBSESSED with eating sticks, snow, ice, mud, grass, wood chips, leaves, ANYTHING outdoors that he can fit in his mouth. Why!!! Will this ever stop? Only concern is that he'll get something stuck in him. I have to run after him every time and try to catch him and pull whatever out of his mouth. He's not too interested in rocks but little pebbles? Oh sure. He thinks it's hilarious to grab a stick and run around the yard and then proceed to chew it up 馃槀

I have an 11 year old boy that we refer to as a "Helper Dog", actually all my goldens, this boy is my 3rd, have been helper dogs. When I am outside trimming up tree branches, he grabs it out of my hand and takes off with it. He'll chew on it for a while, drops it and waits for another.

Premium Member
He's a retriever - they pick things up. He'll do it all his life because he's hard-wired to retrieve. My dog is 4 years old and still "helps" me when I'm cleaning up the yard by grabbing sticks, running around with them for a while, and then shredding them. He doesn't actually swallow the wood - just chews it up and leaves it there. Teach your dog to grab them by the middle: it can be dangerous to run around with a stick if he holds it by the end. The pebbles, however, are a problem - he shouldn't be eating those.

If you don't want him to do this, don't chase him - by chasing, you're just adding to the fun of the game. Have him wear a long line outdoors, and if he grabs something you don't want him to have, reel him in using the line and take it off him. Also, as others have suggested, teach the "leave it" and "drop it" commands and make them bombproof. You'll need them in other situations too. A year or two ago we had a visitor to our home who was taking Tylenol tablets and dropped them on the floor. I yelled "leave it" at our dogs, and they immediately retreated until we'd cleaned up the pills.

You can also provide other items outdoors for him to carry around - balls, bumpers, etc. Make them exciting by playing interactive games with him. Most Goldens will prefer to play with their human than with a stick.

Registered
My 9 week old golden has observed her sister picking up sticks since the day she came home. And in 10 days my little 9 week old feels you can鈥檛 come to the backdoor to come inside if you don鈥檛 have a stick. 馃う馃徏鈥嶁檧锔忦煠

Registered
I have a collection of sticks on my kitchen window (outside ledge) my Luke brought home. He loved sticks so much. He would pick them up in the neighborhood and proudly bring them home. Just keep an eye out so yours isn't digesting big pieces of stick. Luke loved to just bite down on them repeatedly. If they broke, I took them from him.

Logan is already picking up little sticks. It's what Goldens do. I just keep an eye out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts