Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Which is your favorite name for a girl golden retriever?

• Mabel

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Ruby

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Margaret/Maggie

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Vivian

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Marcy

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Lillian/Lily

Votes: 3 14.3%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom and I have made the exciting, yet nerve-wracking decision to add a new addition to our family. After losing our golden Madison last month, we have realized that our lives are incomplete without a dog. We will forever cherish the love that Madison has given us, and we are hoping that a puppy will be able to bring some of that same joy back into our house.

We made the deposit today, so it is official! We have the second pick of the litter for a girl, and she will be ready to come home in mid-June. That gives us ~10 weeks to prepare mentally and physically. We figured summer would be the most ideal time for a puppy since I will be home from college and I can help my mom out with anything she needs. Luckily, we still have some things leftover from when Madison was a puppy (crates, car seat cover, etc.), so that will help bring down costs and provide some convenience.

Anyway, the main reason why I am creating this thread is that I thought it'd be fun to get some opinions of some puppy names my mom and I picked out. Each puppy from this litter will be given a temporary "nickname," but we are allowed to change the name once our puppy comes home. Here are the six names my mom and I came up with:

1. Mabel (after Mabel Pines from Gravity Falls, a special show my mom and I used to watch together and share many fond memories.)
2. Ruby (my mom says that in a few years, we should get a boy dog and name it Max! :LOL:)
3. Margaret (Maggie for short.)
4. Vivian (comes from an inside joke between us, but we also like the sound of the name.)
5. Marcy
6. Lillian (Lily for short.)
**7. Pancake (I really want to name a dog Pancake, but my mom would never let me in a million years!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)

You may notice that there are a lot of "M" names on the list. My mom thought it'd be sweet if we gave our dog an "M" name in honor of Madison, but I don't think this needs to be a "hard rule."

Any opinions on which one we should go with? If you have any other suggestions for names, please feel free to share them, but know that we are probably going to choose one of these six.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,599 Posts
I have a Lily so i am partial to that name!

I joke that her full name is actually Lilybet or Elisabeth sometimes.
I also have a Charlie- who's fake full name is sometimes Charles, and then theres Monty, who's fake full name is Montgomery.

Can't wait to see pics of her when you bring her home~

·
Registered
13,655 Posts
I voted for Mabel, but if Pancake had been on the list, that would have got my vote 100%.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Our puppy was born last night! We haven't picked out an official name yet, but we've nailed it down to "Mabel" or "Vivian." Thanks for voting, everyone.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I just voted for Mabel, and scrolled down to see you had selected that name! Yay! It's very original. A lot of the names on your list are, so kudos to you and your mom. Excited for you and your mom. And sorry for the loss of Madison. That is never an easy thing to go through. She will always have a special place in your heart. The heart just expands.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts