Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)

·
Registered
650 Posts
I wish Pennsylvania would get tougher. Yet Lancaster county still has many puppy mill folks and Amish farmers now farming dogs out to families to “birth” puppies so they avoid the stigma of a puppy mill.

I was out with my puppy two weeks ago and a woman stopped me to tell me she was picking up her puppy that weekend, who was born first week of January. And then she told me “he’s coming home at just 6 weeks.” Then asked me “how much did you pay for her?” Like...dog buying is some kind of money savings event?!?!

·
Kate
20,747 Posts
I lost interest in reading the article because of all the political crap. I've been around for ages and I didn't think you could share political articles on this forum. Is that OK now?
ETA - Guess political crap is OK. :( Shall we all start posting links to thinly veiled political attack articles now as long as the focal point is on dogs?

People who actually give a darn about protecting our rights and freedoms as dog owners, particularly those of us who participate in "charmingly archaic competitions" need to go to Legislative Action Center and stay fully aware of whatever animal rights crap is pushed in their states and fight it.

I DO think that people need to be cautious and remain fully aware of anything being pushed by animal rights activists under the premise of going after puppy mills and breeders who sell puppies to pet stores. What we are told is it's about preventing Michael Vick situations, pet stores from selling sick puppies, and so on.... but any regulations that get passed are primarily used to go after any breeders. And don't just flop your shoulders around and say you aren't a breeder so you don't worry about it. The way the language is written is so anyone with an intact dog older than a certain age can be defined as a breeder who must pay hefty fines or have their dogs confiscated. A puppy mill can be defined as anyone who owns a specific number of intact bitches.

Currently speaking the puppy mills who have distributing all their breeding dogs into pet homes - are actually an improvement over past history. Yes, the dogs are still bred every time they come in season from puppyhood onward, but these dogs are not living their entire lives in filthy cages.

Cracking down further to prevent any home from owning a breeding dog - is a nightmare to wish on the dog world. Likewise many of the other stuff that is fluffed up as being all about big bad puppy mills.

Also be aware that people are having their dogs confiscated. It's really terribly scary. There have been a number of cases in the past year with legit breeders, but even backyard types.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apparently the article I posted requires a subscription to the Washington Post to access. Apologies. I’ll repost when I can.

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,930 Posts
OP requested thread be closed, the article to the Washington Post requires a subscription to view it.

ETA: Thread has been reopened, readable link to article has been inserted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts