Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this is too graphic, but Jack is my first male dog and i've never noticed this on other dogs. His "down there" hair is causing a bit of a gross out moment several times a day. He goes potty and the hair seems to direct the urine onto his tummy hair, as well as the unfortunate wetness that any of us feel if we decide to pick him up after he potties. Does this hair serve any purpose other than to catch/direct urine? Is it okay to trim it??? (My poor boy, mommy talking about his penis hair online. I pity my future human kids!)

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
LOL....I think it is ok to give it a little trim. But be very careful :eek: and I don't think we need pictures for this thread :no:

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL....I think it is ok to give it a little trim. But be very careful :eek: and I don't think we need pictures for this thread :no:
No, no pictures. It's seriously like 3 inches long though! LOL My next question was goign to be how to trim it.....obviously very carefully and it would be a two person job....but clippers, shears?

Is this common for males? Or maybe my guy just is fluffy everywhere...including THERE? haha

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Really I don't think Murphy would like me to tell people this...but his peepee fuzz was a bit long (it was yellow not just golden like the rest of him) LOL and I gave it a bit of a trim with just good old regular scissors...just make sure it's only the fuzz you trim. I did it after his bath...hoping it was a bit cleaner down there.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Its fine to trim it up a bit, I do sometimes with Sam because when it gets really long it starts getting nasty with dried pee :yuck:

Also if you ever take him to get groomed, you can ask for a "sanitary trim" and they'll do it for you. :)

·
A.k.a. Jennifer.
230 Posts
Oh! A "sanitary trim!" I was wondering what that might be called. :) Jupes had this issue too until they shaved him for his neuter operation. lol

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, it's getting pretty nasty on Jack too...and he's already had 2 baths in the 3 weeks we've had him. I also use the unscented baby wipes on him to try to get the pee off...but it's just gross. I'm bathing him again tomorrow (he amazes me in the amount of dirt he collects in just a few days!) so maybe I'll do it then.

I did nice hack job on trimming his feet last weekend, and after doing research realized the error of my ways. So I figured it'd be good to ask first this time.

·
Registered
171 Posts
LOL! Thanks for the chuckles (and the serious discussion on delicate issues)! Our Maggie was a HOLY TERROR tonight and this thread lifted my spirits! :)

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
GoPack, it must be something in the air. Gable was also a little terror last night. Not sure what gets in his mind. His pet sitter came over last night and he was just a perfect little boy but within an hour after she left he was crazed. We are going out tonight so she is sitting for him so I am anxious to hear if he does it with her or it is just us.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jack is now hair free! Well, "trimmed". haha I think my fiance felt bad for him, but it worked fine with 2 people.

GoPack and walexk, Jack is being a holy terror today too! Gave him a bath, took him out to potty and he just wanted to play, so we played for a bit then he tore a hole in my shorts so we came back inside....where he promptly peed on the floor! ARG!!!! He's now in time out.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Be careful about requesting a "sanitary trim" at a groomer. Some groomers interpret that to mean shaving quite a bit of their underside.

Oh, and I had to trim Rookie when he was a pup. Doesn't seem to be an issue now that he's older though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts