Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and so far have found it so very helpful.

I have always grown up with Golden Retreivers and have always loved and admired the breed.

I have recently changed my hours and now work on a Thursday and Friday (9-5 with an hours lunch break), both of these days I can come back at lunch. The rest of the week I am at home. We live in a small village in Oxfordshire and we have open countryside at the end of teh garden and plenty of walks. We are very active and spend a lot of our weekends walking and being out and about in the countryside.

My question is; Is it possible to have a puppy, even though I work on Thursday and Friday but can come home at lunch?

It would be so great to get peoples opinions. This isn't something that I want to do if it would be too stressful for the puppy, I know that our lifestyle now is perfect for a dog but the two days bothers me so just want to get everybody's advice.

Many thanks

Olivia

·
Registered
268 Posts
You should be fine. two days a week at home and you coming in halfway through is fine. get a lot of play time in before you leave and the lil stinker should sleep till lunch.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
lol, I work 5 days a week for 9 hours a day...I have 3 dogs and raised 2 from puppyhood.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
You should be fine. It is nice that it is only two days a week. Coming home at lunch will be a nice little break for the both of you. I enjoyed coming home at lunch when I worked. It gave me time to unwind.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Of course you can make it work. I work five days at least nine hours a day. My husband gets home an hour earlier, but the puppy will get used to it. At our old house, my husband could go home at lunch, but that was six years ago. Good luck!

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm a stay at home Mom, and our trainer actually recommended that I leave the house for hours at a time (appropriate to pup's age) a few days a week to accustom her to being on her own. Sound like your schedule would be PERFECT for that! Best wishes!

·
goldenfan
806 Posts
I think this sounds fine but there will be breeders in the UK that will not sell you a puppy! I also work fulltime and have 7 adult dogs. I have a friend who come in every day to sit with the dogs and play with them at lunchtime. Puppies adjust very easily to a routine and I find my dogs sleep at the times they are normally left even when I am at home. Annef

1 - 10 of 10 Posts