Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Duffy signed up for Puppy Kindergarten starting on January 13. He will be 16 weeks old.

He has had three rounds of puppy vax, with one final round to come 10 days after the kindergarten begins. I had asked my vet if it was ok for him to beging kgn although he would still have one round of vax to go and she said it would be ok.

She also asked if they required the bordatella shot and they do not.

What are your thoughts on this? (1) is it ok for Duffy to begin the class one round short of vax? (2) Should I hold him back for the next class that begins a month later? (3) Should I get him the bordatella vax even though it is not required?

Lots of questions - just want to do the right thing!

Thanks,
Kris

·
luv my goldens
481 Posts
I am not an expert but I think she should be fine. I started Sierra in puppy class at 10 weeks old.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I believe the earlier they start puppy kindergarten the better, my vet had also agreed.

I would definitely get the bordatella ASAP. If your dog is going to be exposed to anything, it will be kennel cough, and when they are young puppies it is harder on them.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I had Mac in a puppy kindergarten class at about 12 weeks old; she was the youngest pup; it was a small class (the instructor deliberately limits the size of the classes to 5, 6 dogs max). I knew the instructor very well, as I had attended both group and had done individual sessions with her. I did not get the bordatella vaccine.

Good for you for starting class at such an early age! Mac was not as advanced as the older pups (one was as old as 3 years old--most were in the 12 to 24 month range) but that beginning training was sooooooo helpful in setting her on the path to becoming a fairly focused pup pretty early. She earned her CGC at 12 months of age, and then her therapy dog certification at 16 months of age. I always point to that first class, and its lessons, as giving us such a nice foundation to build on. Good luck!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the vaccinations. And I'm not a big fan of the bordatella vaccine. I only get it when I have to have it to bring a dog somewhere.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Brady came down with kennel cough last year, it was a mild case because he had the bordatella nose spray. I would hate to have seen a stronger case, it sounded like he was dying when he was coughing, and it lasted about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Mine are in class as soon as one is starting after they come home (actually I didn't even have Ruby yet the first night of her puppy class-good thing the first night is sans puppies!). So Ruby was 7 or 8 weeks when she started class and Piper was 8 or 9 weeks. If you are talking about a class in a controlled environment with healthy vaccinated puppies, I wouldn't worry.

I think there was just an article in the Compendium (or some other vet magazine) where they were interviewing veterinary behavorists about just this question: Wait until a pup is fully vaccinated or start classes ASAP? Without exception, they all said start the class, although they each had different minimum ages for their puppy classes (I think the oldest minimum age was like 12 weeks).

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Tess will start classes in about a week,she will be almost 13 weeks then. She was given bordatella because of the possible exposure to kennel cough at training schools. Both the breeder and the vet recommended it.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Josie started puppy class at 10 weeks and we both enjoy it so much! There are only 3 other dogs, and 2 are the same exact age, so its just perfect. (The 3rd is a yorkie - so tiny compared to Josie, and Goldendoodle,a nd a German Shepard). We've learned the basics, and the trainer is full of great advice. Its so fun to watch them play and talk with the other owners and commiserate! The German Shepard is even stubborner than Josie - it makes me feel good that I'm not the only one who's dog doesn't always listen!
My vet said it was fine to start her as soon as she had her 1st shots (which were actually her 2nd shots - they repeated the ones she got at the breeder).
Enjoy!!!!!

·
Kristy
9,953 Posts
This subject is something I've been checking up on because I want Duncan starting class ASAP.... Here's what I've found....

"In a letter to fellow veterinarians, Robert K. Anderson, D.V.M., Dipl, ACVPM and ACVB writes... " Experience and epidemiologic data support the relative safety and lack of disease transmission in these puppy socialization classes over the last 10 years in many parts of the U.S. In fact, the risk of a dog dying because of infection with disemper or parvo is far lower than the much higher risk of a dog dying because of behavior problems," Dr. Anderson says. "Are there risks? Yes," Dr. Anderson explains. "But 10 years of good experience and data, with few exceptions offer vets the opportunity to generally recommend early socialization and training classes, beginning when puppies are 8 to 9 weeks of age."

I'm sold on the idea of beginning puppy classes in a carefully monitored program in a clean facility run by an instructor who ensures all participants are healthy and have been vaccinated at least once before the start of class.

·
Registered
68 Posts
What exactly IS Bortadella?
We have just begun looking into vets, trainers, etc in our area as we will be bringing home a GR puppy this spring:)
I would REALLY REALLY like to start puppy classes ASAP (like the day after we bring her home!!), but have noticed that a lot of these training companies advertise on their websites that the puppies have to be at least 12 weeks old, and have at least 2 sets of their shots.
Should I keep looking for classes where they WILL take her earlier? Should we start training IN HOME with a trainer day one, and then move ON to classes when she is old enough??? Neither of us have ever owned a dog before, and although I think I have done so much research at this point that my head is STUFFED:), I really want the help of an expert from day one to ensure we are doing all the right things and none of the wrong things from the start!

·
Registered
643 Posts
If you have a Petsmart near you, we are doing a puppy kindergarten class there, and all you needed was proof of their first shots. Josie was 10 weeks old, and so were 2 of the 3 other dogs. Although I don't think she'll become an obedience champion from a Petsmart class, our instructor is really great and we are definately learning the basics and getting some great playtime. We may move on to something a little more regimented in the spring, but right now this works for me and my schedule.:)

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for a lot of good info! I am so looking forward to starting puppy class on the 13th.

Kris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts