Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we are back from our first Puppy Kindergarten. Got off to a rough start....Duffy does NOT like to get into the car. Once he's in, he is excellent. He sits in one spot and you don't even know he's back there. I think its because he's terrified.

But anyway, we got to the place - its at the part district. Double heavy doors. He trots happily up to the doors, I open them, he spots lots of people and lots of pups and refuses to enter. Starts pulling backwards on the leash. I'm afraid he'll slip out of the collar, although its tight enough, there is always that fear.

I let go of the heavy door. Calm him down. Try again. Same thing. Now the people are looking at us. Do you think ONE person could get up and help? NOPE!

Try again. Still, he won't go. I open the door and stoop to pick him up. He weighs 30 lbs. I have a heart condition, am not supposed to lift over 10 lbs. The door slips out of my hand (its a heavy door, too, remember) and slams shut.

Still no one gets up to help. Once again, I open the door, brace it against my body, bend down, PICK HIM UP and carry him inside. Once I get in, I announce loudly to all the people sitting there, "well, I sure had a HARD TIME getting him in."

The class, itself, went well. The thing I didn't like was no puppy playtime. Major bummer. For part of the class we sat on folding chairs with our pups on leashes. I let Duffy walk around (on leash) and sniff puppies of the owners that didn't mind this.

After the class, he didn't want to get into the car. Another catastrophe. Same behavior, pulling backwards on the leash. I tossed treats in the back seat, let him sniff the treat in my hand, tossed it in. He saw it -- wouldn't go in. I'm freaking out. We had to park on the street, I had to load him from the street side because there is a huge snowbank on the sidewalk side. He is standing in the street (thankfully not a busy one), pulling on the leash. I'm trying to get him in the car. He isn't having it.

Once again, I have to LIFT him and put him in it.

Needless to say, we are going to work hard on in and out of the car this week. And hubby goes along to class next week!

Kris

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Kris it sounds exhausting! Glad you both are home safe and sound!

The best part of your post is that, even though it was a struggle, you are going back!!! YIPPEE!!!

Ive attended classes with perfectly healthy people that go to one class and never come back.

·
regspeir
68 Posts
Yep, a few sad things there - that no one could bother to help you, that play time was not an important part of the class, etc....but you are awesome for hanging in there.
As to fear of getting into the car, I had/have some of that. Other than our pulling him away from his Mom and litter @ 7 wks, I can't think of anything negative that has followed a car ride but he is NOT a fan. He IS better though, gets in when he wouldn't before. I guess I have to try the ice cream cone suggested elsewhere or something of the sort. Problem is, he gets carsick as well. Hmm. Now that I think about it, would I want to get in something that made me sick? I have to rethink this!
At any rate, hang in there! You were awesome!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts