Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My puppy, Brandy, just turned 7 moths old and she's still afraid of loud noises such as door slamming, construction work, even when someone slams a car door. When I take her for her walks, if she hears ANY loud noise she turns around and wants to run back inside. We got her when was 9 weeks old and we love her so much! We have another small female dog, Luna, and they love each other. They even :)sleep with us
Any suggestions?

Thanks.

marti

·
Jill -- Maisie's "Mom"
563 Posts
Fraidy Here, Too

Maisie's 7 months, too, and she's a bit of a 'fraidy pup, also. With her it's mostly unfamiliar things (balloons and flags in the wind), large men with deep voices and metal objects she has to touch. We've worked one-on-one with a trainer whose advice has been quite helpful. She encouraged us to get Maisie lots of exposure to as many new things and people, especially men, as possible. When Maisie is skittish, I talk to her in a matter of fact voice -- "Isn't that a funny balloon?" "You're such a brave puppy." and give her treats if she'll take them. The most important thing is not to reinforce her fear by talking soothingly or making the situation seem scary. We don't force her to do something she's really afraid of. We just approach as closely as she'll go, I talk calmly and give her some treats, then see if she'll go a little closer. Loud noises are tougher since they can be unexpected, but the matter-of-fact talking has helped. She's made progress, but it's taking a lot of time.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Fiinegan is 7 months and he has suddenly become fearful. He will stop in his tracks when something suddenly appears or a sound he does not like. We heard his first "true" bark from fear the other day. It was deep and loud , it actually scared him! We refer to him as out big baby.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts