Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

Fairly new member here and new to the golden and puppy game. Our little 14 week old dude is coming along and really settling in to the home. Communicates when he needs to go outside by walking to the door and nearly completely house trained at home, well socialized with lots of people and other dogs, and most bad behaviours (mouthing, chewing, etc) are improving (as much as they can at this stage). We absolutely love him.

As mentioned in my first post about 2 weeks ago, he is a little small for his age. He's about 20-21lbs and stands at about 14.5-15". My only real reference for his size is other's posts here about weight and pictures of their growing pups. When walking through my local park I get a pretty 50/50 response from other golden owners (with dogs of all sizes) saying either "ours was just like this at that age" and others saying "he's really small for his age". I understand, when you're used to your dog being fully grown you may loose touch with how small they were as little pups but this does play on my mind to some degree.

With this said, I was just wondering if anyone had either the records of their dogs height as they grew and what their adult height was or if anyone has come across any height charts out there!

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
Canadian, I was just trying to find a height chart earlier today! So far I can’t find anything. My pup is 6 1/2 months old, and is about almost 23in, he’s 55lbs. I’ve been curious how many in per month they usually grow.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Canadian, I was just trying to find a height chart earlier today! So far I can’t find anything. My pup is 6 1/2 months old, and is about almost 23in, he’s 55lbs. I’ve been curious how many in per month they usually grow.
Sorry for the late late late reply. Hope your pup is a big one by now! I also went through the same doubts and looked for references everywhere when my guy was growing up. I'll just mention this below for others looking for same answers, although minor errors aren't accounted for (stretching too far for a treat while measuring, or too less) . Leo is now 24" at the withers, weighs 35kg (77lbs) at 4years. Here's what we had jotted down:

3.5 months: 16.5" withers
6.5months : 22.5" withers
8months: 23.5" withers
1 year: 24.5" withers (though 0.5" varies according to person measuring);)
Hope it helps.

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,413 Posts
Ain't no such thing as a puppy height chart, at least not a meaningful one. And you shouldn't try comparing your puppy to others. Puppies all grow at different rates, some shooting up early and others taking their time getting there, just like human kids. What's the right height for a 10-year old child? Would a height chart be helpful? Nope!

Assuming adequate nutrition, the rate of growth and final height are all determined by their genetics. The only thing that matters is where they end up.

I've raised so many puppies, at some point I just came to realize that puppies grow how puppies grow, and that's it. Just enjoy them. :)

·
Kate
21,497 Posts
Thinking outside the box, I think a breeder should be able to provide a practical growth and height/weight guide to their puppy buyers... and I believe some do.

Because if they aren't hearing it from the breeders, they are hearing it from the vets.

Sometimes the vets are wrong.

Was at a handling class and a woman with a beautiful newfie (about 12-15 months old) was asking the instructor if her dog needed to lose weight. She said that her vet told her that she needs to feel the dog's backbone like feeling the knuckles on her hand.

The instructor who is a pretty successful handler + breeder + trainer/competitor with her own dogs was horrified. As were the other people in the class, many who are breeder handlers. There was a pretty loud chorus of "NO".

On one hand it was a little funny because there might have been a different reaction in an obedience class, perhaps. But other hand, I've heard this recommendation shared around and it never occurred to me how dangerous that advice is before now that I own a very old cat who has an unknown cancer that makes it difficult for him to keep weight on. He eats all the time and generally is active and happy (so we aren't doing anything), but his backbone feels like my knuckles - and that's kinda not great. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts