Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone. My baby is 9 months old and came into heat for the first time at seven months. I am starting to worry that she may be pregnant. She is sleeping all the time, shedding her belly hair and her teats have become very prominent in the last week or so. She got out a few times during her heat cycle and I assume it could have happened then. I'm not sure what to do. My vet wants to wait three weeks before he checks her, and I just don't want to wait that long. I want to know if it is even safe for her to have pups at such a young age. Please help! Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
She certainly could be pregnant. They are only pregnant for 9 weeks, so if your time line is accurate, she could be having puppies in the next week or so. Why on earth does your vet want to wait 3weeks? She could also be going through a false pregnancy.

Pregnancy can be determined by ultrasound or x-Ray, depending on where in the pregnancy they are. Given her age, I would want an X-Ray, to determine how many puppies and their sizes. This can help determine if a c-section will be necessary. A relaxin test is also helpful but will not give you any idea of how many puppies to expect or their size relative to your girls pelvis. she is roughly equivalent to a 13 or 14 year old girl right now.

Here is a bing list of repro vets in Illinois

reproductive vet illinois

It can be hard on her but any pregnancy has it's dangers, which is why you need to get an experienced vet on board ASAP.

Good luck and hopefully she is having a false pregnancy.

And it must be said, getting out once while in heat, not good, since you should be extra vigilant during this time but getting out multiple times? Inexcusable. Please spay her as soon as it is safe to do so.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I understand the importance of keeping her close while she is in heat. Unfortunately, I made an error in judgment by leaving town with my husband for four days to celebrate our anniversary and leaving her with my sister. She said she "got out a few times". Guess she didn't understand the threat of pregnancy was so real! Not sure how she "got out" anyway, I usually have to open the door for her. In any event, judgment aside, I very much appreciate your response. I think I will call my vet again in the morning and demand she be seen now. I don't understand why he wants to wait anyway, other than he wants to be sure she is far enough along to be able to tell. She went into heat Jan 5, and we left town Jan 16-19, so she would be at least halfway through if she is, in fact, pregnant. We had an appointment March 5 to have her spayed. I sure hope it is just a false pregnancy. I cannot imagine her going through whelping at such a young age. I'm terrified for her!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, do you think I should take her to a different vet? I have been using my vet for 20 years, and they have been wonderful. However, I have never bred a dog and am wondering if they are not experienced in that respect. He said he needed to wait three weeks to feel for embryos and 45 days for an X-ray. Does that sound right? Either way, I don't think they understood that all this happened in January. So maybe I should just call back and stress this point. Idk..

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
The best time to palpate is usually around 28-30 days of pregnancy. It doesn't sound like he understands it happened back in January. I would call again and explain the timing.

She would have been at the end of the typically fertile portion of her cycle when she got out, again assuming what you noted is the correct timing. Counting from January 18, her due date could be around 3/21, give or take.

Definitely call him back.

And I don't think I would ever let your sister watch her again. Aside from possible pregnancy, she could have been stolen or hit by a car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sheets...I did reach out to her breeder. Unfortunately, she wasn't very helpful. She told me she can't be pregnant this early.
Linda...thanks again. I will call first thing in the morning. Won't be having my sister babysit again, very disappointed at her carelessness and failure to heed my warning on Mady running loose! Her response to my inquiry was "sorry if your dog got pregnant because of me". Ummmm....thanks? ��

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got home from the vet. They confirmed my pups pregnancy. We are not doing the Xray until March 18. They estimated a due date of March 20-23. Apparently they want to Xray closer to the due date to ensure she is far enough along and that they can get a fairly accurate estimate of the number in her litter. I got a kiddie pool (as recommended by my vet) for her to whelp in. Also got suction bulb, surgical scissors, floss, hemostats, and other necessities. Other than that, I am COMPLETELY unprepared and terrified. Any advice anyone who has whelped a litter can give is appreciated!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I know nothing about this and know you said your breeder wasn't originally helpful (she didn't believe it was possible!). Is he/she someone that you can reach out to again?? It seems that some "hands on" support might be especially important given your own inexperience and the young age of the mother. I think there is a lot to think through - i.e. what to do with the puppies, whether you're prepared to see them (and mom) through 8 weeks of development, etc, etc, etc. I don't know if Golden Retriever rescue groups ever help in these scenarios….. I know i am asking questions rather than providing answers and hope that those with lots more expertise will jump in with guidance and ideas.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Perhaps your local Golden Retriever club could put you in touch with a breeder(s) in your area who could help you through this process or as suggested previously consult a vet who specializes in reproduction. Wishing that everything will be alright for your girl and her pups.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Also, could you reach out to your local GR Club to see if there are any breeders in the area that might be able to coach you? As mentioned above, rescues may be a good source as well provided they have experience whelping pups. Sorry for the news.

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
Try reaching out to As Good as Gold here in Illinois. They are a great organization and might be able to provide you with some information (and possibly help you find homes for your pups once they are able to be weaned). I got my rescue from them and they are a wonderful group to work with.

As Good As Gold

·
Registered
375 Posts
Uh oh! :uhoh: sorry to hear this news! Hey, look on the bright side! Soon, you'll have a bunch of cute pups! Post pics of the pups soon! ;)

Reactions: LisaAsb

·
Super Moderator Leader
52,174 Posts
Just got home from the vet. They confirmed my pups pregnancy. We are not doing the Xray until March 18. They estimated a due date of March 20-23. Apparently they want to Xray closer to the due date to ensure she is far enough along and that they can get a fairly accurate estimate of the number in her litter. I got a kiddie pool (as recommended by my vet) for her to whelp in. Also got suction bulb, surgical scissors, floss, hemostats, and other necessities. Other than that, I am COMPLETELY unprepared and terrified. Any advice anyone who has whelped a litter can give is appreciated!
Sorry to hear this news.

I see you're located in the IL, are you anywhere near the Champaign/Urbana area? The U of I Vet School is there, they may be able to help you or answer questions.

Wishing all the best for you, your girl and this litter.

·
Mercy Miracle (M&M)
5,097 Posts
Oh no!:eek: I am so sorry you are having to deal with this! Hopefully some other members on the board familiar with litters will supportive. I hope that your vet will be of good assistance.

·
Mercy Miracle (M&M)
5,097 Posts
Also, do you think I should take her to a different vet? I have been using my vet for 20 years, and they have been wonderful. However, I have never bred a dog and am wondering if they are not experienced in that respect. He said he needed to wait three weeks to feel for embryos and 45 days for an X-ray. Does that sound right? Either way, I don't think they understood that all this happened in January. So maybe I should just call back and stress this point. Idk..
If she's pregnant, she would be way farther along than your vet thinks she is. I recommend a special reproduction vet.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts