Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it happen? Piper was out cold in on her bed in the FR upon my return from work. DH (teacher) and kids all had a snow day. I think they wore her out outside. She woke up later and her spot was WET. she was WET. just on the underside. It is not terribly warm in here, so I don't think it would be sweat. Now I need to check her crate and see if it has happened before.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Since she is so young I would be waking her up and taking her outside if she is sleeping a long time like that next time. She was probably so worn out. It can be hard for their little bladders to hold it.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Yes it has to be pee since dogs don't sweat. If the problem continues you might have the vet check for a UTI.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info! never knew they didn't sweat. I don't think she had been asleep more than an hour, she just seemed REALLY asleep!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Josie did this every once in a while for the first week or two after we brought her home. It was always just a little, not like she emptied her bladder. The vet checked her out and since it only happened once in a while, she didn't think it was a UTI. We opted to wait and see if she would grow out of it. Of course, after I mentioned it to the vet, she never did it again. Maybe just a puppy thing?

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I had a dog who did exactly that three times during his life. All three times, he had consumed way too much water and was exhausted. He never had one iota of another bladder problem in his whole life.

Especially with puppies, accidents happen when the dog is overtired or has had a lot of water. One incident doesn't necessarily indicate a health problem, particularly in the underdeveloped bladder of a little one.

If it's a repeated thing, take her straight to the vet, but don't read into one thing.

·
aka Ali, Oscar's mom
493 Posts
Oscar had this problem several times, which was originally thought by the vet (and us) to be related to a bladder infection... I posted a thread on it somewhere here... BUT in the end it turns out it wasn't?? Anyway then the vet said maybe it was a structural/growth thing, so hopefully he'd outgrow it-- there are tests they can do to scan for structural urinary issues, but we're currently waiting to see if it's just an "immature" bladder thing... and fortunately he hasn't had this issue in about a month now!! So I'm hopeful that it is just that Oscar is growing into his bladder, or maturing, or something, rather than an infection/structural problem causing the incontinence. I do agree that every time it happened, he had drank lots of water and/or was really playing hard before he napped, rather than on an empty bladder, so there was definitely a "sleeping on a full bladder" component (as distinguished from incontinence situations where urine is just continually leaked from the bladder).

I know girl dogs are a little different, however, since I *think* they are more prone to incontinence-- but maybe that is only after spaying or something (?). Anyway I am hopeful your girl is just growing into her urinary system like Oscar, and will achieve more control the older she gets!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My son had a structural iss with his bladder/ureter....hmmmm maybe it runs in families? Hee Hee

Amyways, she was exhausted. She was dead asleep in the FR with the kids dancing and being kids. I am thinking it was that, and we will move on!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts