Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!:wave:

I took my five month old golden to the groomers today, just for a wash and the experience. I specifically told them not to cut any of his hair, but I pick him up and his little fuzzy ears are gone!

Of course he's still adorable, but I'm a little miffed. So now to my question, how fast does hair grow for the normal pup? Will his fuzzy ears return? And to expand further, when do you think his coat will really start to come in?

Thanks!

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Whats done is done. Good thing is our goldens are constantly growing, shedding then growing more coat only to shed it again. At 5 mo he should be beginning to have his more adult coat which is tighter to the body and totally different than the fuzzy puppy coat we all began with. He should have started his "Mohawk" down his back which is coarser hair and little by little the soft fuzzy hair falls out to be replaced with goofy adult hair (he will shed this too). After grooming and blowing dry the coat looks more straight and this may be what you see. In a few days more of his waves may return. The ears on an adult expecially if you show are goomed and kept close to the ear flap. If you look at pictures posted you see most of our dogs are pets, so not groomed for show, but hair that restricts air flow should be trimmed to allow air to the ear to keep it dry. This is honestly best for your boy even though you miss all the Alfalfa tuffs! (Hope you are old enough to know who Alfalfa was!)

My boy is also 5 mo and I trim around the ear. Yes he has lost all that baby tuff that was so cute, and now the new hair is straight at first then is crimped like I used a crimping iron on them. So funny but hope he sheds this to the straight ear hair he should have. I found the internet has pictures of how to groom the ears and am working (not well yet) on how to trim them correctly.

Just enjoy all the changes as your little one is becoming a man. If you look at previous threads in this section you can see we are all laughing on how they are growing right now. Front ends low, rear high, funny fanny hair sprouting all over. Really the first few years they are in a constant change. Learn to laugh...a LOT, post lots of pictures and talk to the rest of us with pups about the same age. You will find you are not alone.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
It will grow fast. About 2 weeks post-show, Gibbs looks a little crazy with his fuzzy ears. While it is cute, I prefer it to be neater. That is not to say that we trim away all of the fuzz, but it does need neated up. You took him for the experience, so I'd say he got a very good one. He not only got the bath but had to stay still for the little trim! I am sure your groomer thought she was doing you a favor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies everyone! Like you guys said, his coat really is changing. It's getting wavy, especially around his bottom :lol: I'll definitely try to post pictures, I have tons!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts