Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Puppy Fur length?

38K views 38 replies 21 participants last post by  Pilgrim123 
#1 ·
I have noticed some of y'alls puppy pictures your pups are REAL fluffy and some not as fluffy.:confused: I have also noticed my girl isn't super fluffy like some other golden pups I have seen. Does this have any effect on how much hair she will have when she gets older? You can see in the pictures below how "fluffy" she is. Does this mean she wont have super long hair like some goldens? or is it just because most of the pictures on here of pups are of the pups at 8 or more weeks and Sharlette is only just 6 weeks old and so her hair hasn't grown as much and the older pups. I know this sounds silly but I was just wondering :--smirk: LOL

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
6 weeks is quite young. Most puppies don't go home till they are 8 weeks, because they need that time to learn and bond with their litter mates. I would be more concerned with training properly and overcoming some disadvantages of getting the puppy this early.

I think the length of coat as a lot to do with breeding, as the conformation lines tend to have really thick coats and is evident with being fluffy as a puppy, but some more than others. Where as a field bred golden can have pretty short or thin coat as a puppy, but grow into a nice correct coat that is more practical in the field.

But I think you can tell from the parents generally how much coat you puppy will have as an adult, although you can impact this positively with good nutrition, grooming and exercise.

#9 ·
Thank you all for the replies. The mother was young and seemed to be at the stage where her adult fur was starting to grow in. she was a beautiful red color and had long hair on her ears already the father was a big fluffy guy the same color Sharlette is. Sharlettes ear fur is long and wavy and darker. I am thinking that when she gets her adult fur she is going to be a bit darker then she is now.

The comments about people thinking your dog is a lab or you your self thinking you got a lab puppy is funny... I have combed threw countless lab puppy picture comparing her to them. LOL

However from what I have read the original cross was of a yellow lab male named Nous, with a Tweed Water Spaniel female named Belle. So I am guessing even though that was SO long ago that the lab genetics still come out at times making for a golden with a shorter coat.

6 weeks is quite young. Most puppies don't go home till they are 8 weeks

I had posted a thread about Sharlette. The people that have the mother and father did not want a litter is was an oops litter. they had never had a litter before. their female golden was still a puppy. her first heat. and their male golden got to her. The wanted the litter gone asap and had no clue what to even do with a litter. Sharlette was 5 weeks and 3 days old when I got her. it was a sad situation. there were 9 puppies. when i got sharlette there were only 8 left 1 of her litter mates had been taken several days earlier.... so more then likely that puppy was only 4 weeks old. SO SAD! the add the people had posted was posted a few days after the litter was born stating the puppies were ready to go then and they needed the puppies gone asap....

#5 ·
Mine are with you on this too, except our 6 mo old is finally being recognized as a golden instead of a Lab, but our baby at almost 4 mo is always being called a pyrenese! Both of our kids are light, which are not seen a lot where I live and Coops coat is fluffy, but in no way does he look like a pyrenese, more like a fluffy lab to me, but his parents had beautiful coats, so I would expect someday he will too. Did you get to see the parents of your beautiful girl? I would think she will have something between what you saw in the parents. But take into account that her Mom may not have had the best of coats after being so young and delivering a litter.

Just enjoy her, the coat will come and someday we will all be bemoaning the fact we have to vacumn everyday to stay on top of all the shedding hair.

#6 ·
patience ... you will be sweeping up furry-dustbunnies before you know it...
Some can take 2-3 years before their full coat comes in...

#8 ·
shortcake: Your Mia has hair just like Tucker. It used to make me sad that he was not long haired like most of the Goldens you see, but then I realized that that there are different lines that they are bred from and this is just the genetics of his makeup that give him the coat he has. He DOES have a huge luscious tail though.... prettier than most of the other Goldens we see.

#11 ·
at the breeder where we got red, she had lots and lots and lots of goldens and they all had different hair lengths and colors. there was one that i thought was around a year because she was smaller than the rest and had much sorter hair. but i was soo wrong! she was about 8!
when we picked out red at 5 weeks his hair wasnt "fluffy" but now at 8.5 weeks he is very fluffy. (plus when we got him home and gave him a bath, i dried his hair with a cool hair dryer to fluff him out)

your puppy is absolutely beautiful!

#12 ·
BaWaaJige wasnt super fluffy but now that he is 6mos old he is starting to get feathering on his tail and hind legs. He has a nice wavy coat that has gotten darker as he gets older.

To the op your pup is so cute. Raising a young pup can be hard if you have any questions that I could help you with pm me. I have raised several pup from the 4wks age. All have done great and a few have been therapy dogs too.

#14 ·
I got my babies relatively young as well. The breeders didn't want to 'get rid' of the puppies, it's just not a law in Georgia to sell the pups at a certain age, which is usually 8 weeks in other states.

In any case, Layla and Bauer were less than 8 weeks when we got them (at different times). You just need to be consistent in your training. Layla (8 months now) was very mouthy as a puppy just because she simply did not get enough interaction with her litter mates to learn better, so that was a challenge to overcome. But other than that she was just a perfect puppy! As long as you have done the research on how to train her, she will be great! (And at least with Layla and Bauer, Layla (the oldest and the female) is much smarter than Bauer... maybe it's because she is female! :p:

Bauer (14 weeks now) on the other hand is a great puppy and not too mouthy because he has Layla to play with. However, he lacks the brains for potty training! :doh:

Layla and Bauer were also not as fluffy as I have seen, with the fluffy feathering on the backs of the arms and hindquarters. But they have gotten their fluff and feathering with time, so I think it just takes time for it to grown out. Baths do make them fluffier though! You're going to have so much fun with her!! Congrats!!

#15 ·
I noticed last night after I gave her a bath and used the blow dryer ( low setting) on her that she was a lot puffier. I don't think it is a law here to wait till 6 weeks either because my chihuahua puppy I got at 6 weeks old.

Sharlette is so mouthy. She is always mouthing on the kids and I. I just make sure if she hurts us to say OUCH and to always replace hands/feet/what ever is in her mouth that shouldn't be with one of her chew toys.

#17 ·
Yellow, but not a lab

My pup, Casper, doesn't have a ton of fur yet either. He does have some nice feathers on his front and back legs.

Sometimes I think he looks like a lab, but there is a lab puppy of exactly the same age (and color) in our dog class, and the lab fur is very different. It's much flatter and stiffer. The goldens have a very soft coat.

He's starting to grow some new kind of hair down his back. Is that the puppy coat?

-quilter

#18 ·
It's much flatter and stiffer. The goldens have a very soft coat.
Yeah Sharlette's fur is puffy and real soft. Not stiff and flat to her body like a lab at all. I can run my fingers threw her hair. I am guessing I can't on a lab cause it wouldn't be as standing straight up and soft and fluffy LOL Her fur is about a little over a half an inch to an inch long....

#21 ·
Samantha looked similar when she was a puppy. She's darker now and has longer fur but isn't necessarily "fluffy" like Mulligan is. Here are a few pictures of Samantha over the last year or so (She is 3 1/2) and one of her and Mulligan for comparison. Mulligan was a rescue so I don't know what he looked like as a puppy but I can imagine that he was quite hairy. :)

Attachments

#29 ·
ooh i saw his racing stripe, he is 4 months old now :) the stripe was darker on his back and the coat on his sides is still lighter and soft. his tail fur seems to be growing longer and has a few wave-like patterns. :D i am excited to see what he will look like when he grows up. i love goldens with long and soft luxurious coat though i agree its a hassle when they start shedding >.<

#30 · (Edited)
She is such a cute puppy and has such a sparkle. I only can laugh about our questions on their fur. I too had any so many. Finn lost his back hair and while the hair shedding was painful to clean, I was worried about something being wrong! Our association with Goldens is long hair but just like us genetics has many versions of how they will look.

#36 ·
pemphedro, :D you are welcome. i am kinda excited to see my pup growing up. i still miss the tiny furball he was lol but i also cant stop thinking about how he will look when he is all grownup. ;) sharlotte is gonna be a beauty. we both still have a long way ahead of us to see their growth. :D so lets look forward to it.

PS: do post more of her pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.