Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our 10 week old is just a sweetheart! Such a good boy❤

We have noticed his front legs get a little distorted quite ofen when he sits. He does not limp and is a totally normal puppy in every other way. Anyone else ever see something like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Feeding him Royal Canin golden retriever puppy. 3 cups a day according to the breeder. I have cut back to 2.5 cups a day.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, do I get human grade vitamin c or is there one specifically for dogs?

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
human tablets, not chewable since they may have sweeteners. Just stick a 250 in his food.
start with half of one, then go to a whole then one and a half. If you go too fast he'll get diarrhea.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help.

We see the vet on Monday. During his initial appointment I had not noticed this problem and my pup was very sleepy so just laying on the exam table-

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
It is so common your vet isn't likely to note it or even worry about it when you point it out- but it is a nutritional issue and you can fix it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for helping with my worry!

After some research it seems I should switch him to adult food? And add the vitamin c.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Thanks for the help.

We see the vet on Monday. During his initial appointment I had not noticed this problem and my pup was very sleepy so just laying on the exam table-
Good for both of you!
The initial visit can be a busy time, and things can get missed. I have come to value the medical tech that is now present during the Vet's examination of my own dogs. They are constantly giving the dogs a once over and sometimes find things that the vet can miss. (My BC/Lab mix came from a farm and had a fly larvae under her skin..nasty thing). The vet was completely occupied with the internal exam when the tech made the discovery (it was alive too)
I suggest that if you are not satisfied after that visit....get another medical professional's opinion.
If it's nothing..all the better, and if it is something that needs attention....you will be in the right place:)

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Ewww. . fly bots are soooo gross!
Glad it is gone.

I don't think it would hurt to put him on large breed puppy food, PPP makes a good one, as noted intended to slow growth. Or go to an all-age food either one. But the C you can add to either, and just don't give so much at once to cause loose stools, he'll be able to tolerate upping it over a period of days and it is water soluble so he'll pee out what he doesn't need. That should get him up on his pasterns again pretty quickly- a couple weeks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone.
I just gave him his first dose of vitamin c (125mg).

As I said, we are currently on Royal Canin Golden Retriever puppy. I will look into switching him to a grain inclusive, low protein kibble.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I would recommend a kibble with NO CORN, NO WHEAT, and NO SOY. Look at the 1st 5 ingredients since those are the most weighted.
Who makes what food was indicted in this chart last year. Many brands, that used to be good foods were taken over by the big 4 and things have changed for the worse. I am one of the few HERE that won't feed a food made by Purina..or Mars for that matter.
Good luck with whatever you choose for your own pup!

·
Kate
20,700 Posts
It is so common your vet isn't likely to note it or even worry about it when you point it out- but it is a nutritional issue and you can fix it.
I was just curious... is it very common for very young puppies to have this? Or could it be the food?

I'm honestly trying to remember if mine went through this and I don't think so. They normally started having some nobbyness around the knees when about 4 months old? And that's a point where it makes more sense adding vitamin C or switching to adult food???? My younger two were fed PP regular puppy food (not large breed) until they were 6 months old and I don't remember their legs being off or them showing any growing issues.

Maybe switch to pro plan...!

·
Puddles
3,399 Posts
Megora, as white as this puppy is who knows the quality of the breeding or care of mom & pups. But the pic sort of reminds me of rickets in kids. OP doesn't say what she is feeding or any background info so who knows. But totally agree with the knobie phase LOL I looked back at baby pics too :)

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
I was just curious... is it very common for very young puppies to have this? Or could it be the food?

I'm honestly trying to remember if mine went through this and I don't think so. They normally started having some nobbyness around the knees when about 4 months old? And that's a point where it makes more sense adding vitamin C or switching to adult food???? My younger two were fed PP regular puppy food (not large breed) until they were 6 months old and I don't remember their legs being off or them showing any growing issues.

Maybe switch to pro plan...!
It is fairly common I would say.. and yes, it's about that point at which many puppies get down on pasterns-4-6 mo- and nobby kneed.
OP is on Royal Canin, which also should be fine for puppy. I guess every time food is brought up we'll get the thrill of seeing that stupid chart...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi there,
OP here. I have actually mentioned twice in this thread that I feed the pup Royal Canin golden retriever puppy food as that is what the breeder was feeding.
I specifically did not mention the breeder as I did not want to get into a blame game. I found the breeder on this forum and after a few years of waiting we brought home our baby 2 weeks ago. The mom and littermates were cared for impeccably. Yes, I have already been in contact with the breeder and they are concerned and very helpful and supportive.
This is my third golden and by far the easiest at this age, thanks to the breeder. He is smart, gentle, amazing bite inhibition, socialized, training super easy, and a happy tail wagging pup.
Choose kindness.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts