• Iam’s ProActive Health Smart Puppy

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There,
We have a 4 month old golden named Nala! I am completely in love with this dog. We had a 3 week period of very bad diarrhea. After multiple suggestions by vet we finally got everything squared away and she’s been fine. We got her on Hill’s Science I/D puppy food and are now transitioning to Hill’s Science Large puppy regular food. She’s been scratching a lot and someone suggested she may be allergic to chicken? We’ve heard so many conflicting stories about food and it’s impossible to know what is accurate info for our puppy. Suggestions have ranged from Hill’s Science, Fromm’s, Purina Pro Plan, Blue Buffalo. Impossible to know what is right or best for her. Leaning towards sticking with Hill’s Science for now as she hasn’t had any digestive issues, is happy, playful, sleeping & doing well overall. Scratching and sneezing a lot but could be allergies too? Any feedback is welcome and I’m aware I’m gonna get all kinds of different opinions but want to hear them.
Thx
Mitch

·
Super Moderator Leader
52,288 Posts
What was the breeder feeding the litter? Curious if it caused your pup's problems or if you switched to another food which caused it or if it was something else.

I have always fed the Purina Pro Plan formulas because they have worked for my guys and they did well on it.

Each pup/dog will do differently on a specific brand of food. I would stay away from Blue Buffalo products, there are numerous threads if you use the Forum's search feature that talks about it, problems pups and dogs had while eating it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What was the breeder feeding the litter? Curious if it caused your pup's problems or if you switched to another food which caused it or if it was something else.

I have always fed the Purina Pro Plan formulas because they have worked for my guys and they did well on it.

Each pup/dog will do differently on a specific brand of food. I would stay away from Blue Buffalo products, there are numerous threads if you use the Forum's search feature that talks about it, problems pups and dogs had while eating it.
Breeder had her on Iam’s which was fine. I think the major issue was a bully stick and after that screwed her up the vet put her on a bland diet of boiled rice, chicken & pumpkin puree. Then the Hill’s Science I/D food.

·
Registered
236 Posts
This is Archie's story:
He has suffered from diarrhea since 3-days after he came home! He was eating Farmina Ancestral Grains Chicken and Pomegranate, so we continued, as it is a very high-quality and nutritious kibble. The vet (we've since changed vets) put him on:
  • Metronidazole, an antibiotic for loose stools
  • Probiotic paste and probiotic powder
  • Royal Canine Gastrointestinal food instead of kibble that the breeder sent home.
The Metro was only a 5-day course, so all was well for the 5-days, but we were back to where we started on day 6. She put him on another short round of Metro and still had us feed him the GI food. We hung in with the 1st-vet since we are new dog owners and didn't know any better. Fast forward to our new vet who we went to when Archie got so thin, was having so much diarrhea and I could get no return call from the 1st vet or her office. The new vet had him come in immediately. She did a thorough panel for all sorts of tummy bugs (all negative) and was in agreement that he was quite thin, so she put Archie on a 15-day course of Metronidazole and Pro Plan FortiFlora. She also wanted him to transition slowly during the 15 Metro days back to the Farmina to put some better nutrition and calories into him. Again all was well for the 15 days and then day 16...back to square One. We brainstormed and decided to try one more long round of Metro (21 days) and transition to a chicken-free kibble (in case it was an intolerance to chicken)...Taste of The Wild Ancient Stream with Ancient Grains, along with the Pro Plan FortiFlora. Finally, after 3-months, he has been off Metro for 4-days!!! He is only on ToTW and 1 packet FortiFlora. We have never even gone 1-day and here we are on day 4!! Is it the Taste of The Wild? I don't know. But if he doesn't have more diarrhea, we'll stick with it, as it too is high-quality food and nutritious.
Hope you find the food that works for your pup!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Purina Pro Plan
I feed sport 30/20 adult food from the start.

·
Super Moderator
2,260 Posts
What works well for others may not work well for your dogs, but for what its worth I fed PPP when my boy was younger. My girl had wellness large breed when she was a puppy as well.

Both are fully raw fed now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts