Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Advice needed goldie owners :) Our 5 and a half month old pup is on Royal Canin Junior and has been from 12 weeks, she seems to have been thriving on it up to a point. Firstly, we made the mistake of doing a quick changeover to raw, she caught campylobacter so we took her off it and the vet recommended Royal Canin (due to commission for the practice might I add!:no:). Anyway, Bonnie's gas is unbearable:yuck:, she is bored of her food and only eats it when there's nothing else going. I find I have to mash it with bananas etc.. to get her interested. Another problem is Royal Canin is very expensive so I'm looking to change her to a more cost-effective food.

Does anyone have any recommendations that their pups have thrived on at a reasonable cost? I am quite picky with no additives, chemicals etc.. so I'm finding this process difficult trying to eliminate all the rubbish!!! Arden Grange was recommended but I think that's within the same price range as RC?

Thanks in advance :) :wavey:

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Try a large breed puppy. Chloe is on nutro. There are a lot of people here who are on purina pro plan large breed puppy. They really need the large breed because it has the minerals a large dog needs for their joints to grow correctly.

·
KCGold
1,757 Posts
We have used ' Purina pro plan large breed puppy chow' for all of our Goldens over the years. They have thrived on it. After the first year, we switched to grain free....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See I done research on Purina/Nestle and I'm not keen on the company's morals never mind the ingredients :( but I do know dogs that seem fine on their foods. There's actually a lawsuit going on just now against their toxic ingredients..? I guess each dog is different in what they can take..

This is why I'm finding it very hard to find an honest company who provides real food! :confused:

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Go to your local petsmart or petco and see what they have. We really like nutro large breed puppy. There is probably other brands. Our vet said nutro was a good food.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Nutro also makes a young adult large breed for six months to a 2 years. It has less calories but still the minerals a growing dog needs. Your pup is close to that age where she could go on that.

·
Chloe's Mom Lisa
774 Posts
I really like Petcurean products from Canada they are a little expensive but you feed less because of the quality. They make "Go!" and "Now" foods. Now Fresh has a grain free large breed puppy food. (My dog is on the senior formula I will probably put my new puppy on it)Petcurean Pet Nutrition. Premium pet food for dogs and cats.

You could also check out dogfoodadvisor.com for food ratings.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I leave the food and research to the wife , Harley loves the wellness puppy large breed , love it , but then again he loves food !!!!

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Yes I second Fromm as well. Rusty grew up on Fromm's Large Breed Puppy food, and did awesome on it. It's a good food and the cost is not that high I think

·
Registered
505 Posts
I've been very happy with Orijen Large Breed Puppy, but I can't say it's an economical choice. Since it's high quality, dogs tend to eat less. But I don't know if that really holds true for a growing puppy. Comet has been on Orijen LBPuppy since he was 9 weeks old. He has fluctuated between 2-3 cups per day depending on his growth spurts and the amount of training treats he receives per day. At 9 months he is on about 2.5 cups per day and maintaining a healthy weight with plenty of exercise. I don't know how that amount compares to others.

I feed my cats Fromm and I've been very happy with the brand. I've also heard some people really like Farmina N&D Grain Free Large Breed Puppy. I don't know much about it though.

·
KCGold
1,757 Posts
See I done research on Purina/Nestle and I'm not keen on the company's morals never mind the ingredients :( but I do know dogs that seem fine on their foods. There's actually a lawsuit going on just now against their toxic ingredients..? I guess each dog is different in what they can take..

This is why I'm finding it very hard to find an honest company who provides real food! :confused:
A "law suit" does not mean anyone is doing anything wrong. Seems we have all forgot the good old American standard. In our country you are innocent until or unless proven guilty. Including companies!

·
Golden Lover
440 Posts
I personally would not use a Purina or a Diamond manufactured food due to many recalls from both. But that is just me. Each person has to decide what they feel is best for their dogs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I personally would not use a Purina or a Diamond manufactured food due to many recalls from both. But that is just me. Each person has to decide what they feel is best for their dogs.
The tricky thing about recalls is that there are 3 types (http://www.fda.gov/animalveterinary/safetyhealth/recallswithdrawals/):
1. Company's own initiative
2. FDA request
3. FDA order

So, let's say company A doesn't have a huge amount of quality control testing in place and rarely initiates type 1 as well as chooses not to initiate type 2 (since both type 1 and 2 are optional). They'll have fewer recalls than company B that chooses to initiate type 1 and 2...

But that doesn't necessarily make company A's food more safe...

It's so complicated!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts