Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are picking up our puppy soon and after visiting our local pet store I have narrowed it down to Nulo or Wellness puppy food to start. Does anybody have experience with either brand? Thanks!

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
2,041 Posts
I fed Wellness years and years ago when it was still a baked kibble and not extruded and my dogs always did well on it. This was when there was no grain free wellness, so this was the regular chicken formula in the purple bags. Just make sure you do the large breed puppy.

I was not a fan of Nulo about 5 years ago when it started showing up in this area. Plus it is a grain free diet with A LOT of lentils and peas. Until there is a definitive answer on the whole diet mediated DCM thing where they are suspecting diets with high levels of Lentils and peas, I wouldn't feed a food like Nulo right now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We went with Wellness and recently switched all the dogs to it. We do have a dog who has itchy skin when she eats grain so she is grain free.

They all love it, Cleo-our golden puppy, wouldn't eat her Purina Pro Plan but she chows down Wellness Large Breed Puppy.

I do have to say that during the transition there were some seriously smelly dog farts and sometimes there still are. But it has died down a lot since they've become accustomed to the food. I thought we transitioned slow enough, but maybe we should have drawn it out a little more.

Make sure you get whatever the breeder was feeding the dog so you can do a slow changeover to avoid stomach problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I fed Wellness years and years ago when it was still a baked kibble and not extruded and my dogs always did well on it. This was when there was no grain free wellness, so this was the regular chicken formula in the purple bags. Just make sure you do the large breed puppy.

I was not a fan of Nulo about 5 years ago when it started showing up in this area. Plus it is a grain free diet with A LOT of lentils and peas. Until there is a definitive answer on the whole diet mediated DCM thing where they are suspecting diets with high levels of Lentils and peas, I wouldn't feed a food like Nulo right now.
Thank you for the response. Do you have other recommendations for brands we should consider? Thanks!

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
2,041 Posts
Thank you for the response. Do you have other recommendations for brands we should consider? Thanks!
I currently feed The Nature's Variety Instinct Be Natural (the grain inclusive) and also feed the same brand of the Frozen Raw (I feed this more then the kibble). I don't like a lot of grain in my dogs food, especially wheat and soy. They have a puppy food suitable for large breed puppies. Calcium at 1.20% and Phosphorous at .95% (a proper ratio between 1.1 and 1.4 Calcium to 1 phos) Protein at 25% and fat 18%. Just a tad high with Phos and fat but not crazy and no lentils, peas, or potatoes. Also there is Montmorillonite Clay in the food which is a natural detoxifier.

·
Puddles
4,024 Posts
We are picking up our puppy soon and after visiting our local pet store I have narrowed it down to Nulo or Wellness puppy food to start. Does anybody have experience with either brand? Thanks!
Something you should consider is staying with the food this puppy has been weaned on and currently being fed by your breeder. This new baby will have much to adjust to in the first few weeks. Suddenly this baby will be in an unfamiliar home, new family, new bed, new water, new bowls, no momma or siblings for security. Let your puppy adjust to the new home & family before making any food changes. Remember this is like bringing home a newborn and tummies can be sensitive to all the stress, adding the stress of a new diet can cause runny poops. New foods, new snacks need to be introduced one at a time so you can know what is causing the problem if you have tummy problems. If you introduce a bunch of new tasty goodies at the same time you won't know which one is causing the problem. Switching foods for an adult needs to be done gradually... can you imagine doing this to a baby? Take your time and enjoy the puppy the 1st few weeks. Then proceed with caution and slowly.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I've had outstanding results on Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy Food. I fed others and have been happier on all accounts with Pro Plan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts