Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we brought Emma home the breeder had her on Royal Canin food for large breed dogs 5 month to 15 months. Since she was eating this we just have left her on it. But while reading the forum I have realized her Food is wayyy important. I have asked for advice on an existing thread and no one answered me. Anyway, should she be on age appropriate food? Is Royal Canin good for her? If I have to ween her another food, how do you do it so her tummy won't get out of whack? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
A lot of us are of the saying, "If it isn't broken, don't fix it." That means if she is having firm stool, no GI upset, has nice skin and fur, bright eyes- there is no reason to change right now. That being said, we all want the very best for our pets and that means giving the best food possible. In most cases these foods are pretty expensive and there is no saying whether they will cause GI upset or the transition will be seemless.

At her age, she should either be on an All Life Stage (ALS) food or a large breed puppy food. I really like the idea of an ALS food because it can be eaten from puppyhood to senior dogs.

Some ALS foods:
Fromm
Taste of the Wild
Canidae
Natural Balance

Some Large Breed formulas:
Purina Pro Plan
Orijen LBP
Innova LBP
Solid Gold
Fromm Gold Puppy
Chicken Soup LBP

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We only question the food she's on as it is for older pups. So we have worried maybe she is not getting the nutrition a puppy requires to grow strong, etc. She seems to like it. No problem with stools. She does have the zoomies a lot!!

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I would consider the Royan Canin 5-15 month a large breed puppy food. It is probably fine for her nutritionally. Just make sure not to over-feed. We'll be following the Rhonda Hovan Slow Grow Plan. (google it if interested)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Our pup is on Purina Pro Plan for Large Breed Puppies, but I am of the opinion that if your dog is doing well on the food he/she is on, and money isn't a consideration, feed what you want. Out vet sells Science Diet, but doesn't really "sell" it. When I asked about food, he said, "These days, most of the foods are so good, if your dog is healthy, stick with what you are feeding them."

Consumer Reports conducted a survey of top vets, getting their feedback on dog foods, and got this response when asking: Should you pay a lot for pet food?

"There's no scientific evidence that any food is better than the next," says Joseph Wakshlag, D.V.M., Ph.D., an assistant professor of clinical nutrition at the Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine. Pets can thrive on inexpensive food or become ill from pricey food. If your animal is active and healthy, the food is doing its job. A higher price could mean better ingredients and better quality control during and after manufacturing. But you might also be paying for pretty packaging, marketing, or a fancy name.

·
Charlie's Mom
871 Posts
Well, I looked at the Guaranteed Analysis of the LBP vs the Royal Canin Maxi Babydog, and they're not extremely different. I think what's important is that the LBP food says it's formulated for growth, gestation and lactation. Also, from looking at the babydog food, it just seems like it's pretty much the same food but more condensed so that very young puppies aren't having to eat a ton and possibly upset their stomachs. I think, and i'm by NO means an expert, that if your puppy were mine and eating the LBP food and doing just fine with good energy, healthy coat, and good firm poops, then I see no reason to change.

GOOD LUCK! :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
I buy Eukanaba large breed puppy food for puppies up to age 2. My one yr old eats this and I am currently transitioning my 9 week old to this from purina puppy chow.

·
Registered
301 Posts
To the OP - looks like you are on the MAXI Large Breed Adult food?
http://products.royalcanin.us/media/619/maxi_large_breed_adult_25_info.pdf

25% protein & 16 % fat - 362 calories per cup.

The MAXI Large Breed Puppy 32 is 32 % protein & 14% fat. 365 calories per cup.

I would say that your puppy is fine on the Adult food as most breeders prefer a slow growth for their pups and they are weaned onto an adult food. If no issues, I would continue with the same food.

If for some reason you do need to transition to another food, gradually do so by mixing (example only) 3/4 c. of old food to 1/4 c. new food. Then go to 50/50, then 25/75 over the course of several days making sure no stool issues.

You can start feeding 2 feedings a day either when your pup doesn't seem interested in the midday feeding or usually around 4 months of age.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I'm a big fan of LBP foods for GR puppies because GRs are at some risk for growth related problems like bone curvature. While LBP isn't an official or legal designation, it typically means that the food is a little less calorie dense than other puppy food and it has less calcium and phosphorus. Too many calories and too much calcium and phosphorus have been definitively shown to cause growth issues in larger dog breeds. While Goldens are less prone to these problems, they do experience fast growth in the first six months, so it's prudent to keep them on an LBP food.

Most ALS foods are within the safe range of calories, calcium, and phosphorus, but in my book, it doesn't hurt to play safe and get an LBP food. I've had great success in getting healthy growth in my puppies with the Eukanuba LBP.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thank all of you. I'm going to keep her on her existing food. She is doing fine. As long as she is getting all her nutritional requirements... We leave for Maine tomorrow so she will have to see the vet as soon as we return for a shot. I'll be interested to see her weight. The breeder had food down all the time and all the puppies were FAT. She has slimmed down. But she's also taller...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts