Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a slight concern regarding what we should feed our 9 week Golden Puppy. The breeder says to feed her adult kibble diet. The Vet. says to feed her puppy food for large breed dogs. Now of course it makes sense to feed her puppy food for large breed dogs since she is a puppy. Can anyone help us out with this? Should we feed her adult kibble food or feed her puppy kibble food for large breed dogs?

Thanks for any information you can provide!

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I know there are various opinions on this, but I would feed a young puppy, puppy food...They are doing alot of growing and developing at that age....

I think many people start adult food at about 6 months.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I fed Oakly adult food from day one. The breeder suggested doing this to slow his growth to allow for better bone development. Not sure if there is any truth to this but he is a solid healthy boy at three now.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I fed Poppy puppy food until 9 months. I started Jasper on puppy food when I first got him, but it never seemed to fill him up, so he went onto adult food at aroud 15 weeks, and he is a big strapping 15month old boy!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I fed Bama puppy food till he was 5-6 mo then switched him over to adult food. But I didnt feed him the large breed food just regular puppy food.

·
Registered
10,476 Posts
I feed an All Life Stages food like Canidae. I've never done puppy food. Now Sunshine and Pink came home on Large Breed puppy and I can't tell a difference between them and the puppies I've raised on an ALS-except that they did come home a couple of pounds overweight :)

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have done a huge amout of research lately trying to decide which food to use. ( less than 2 weeks to puppy) In that research I have heard frequently to use large breed puppy food or adult food. Regular puppy food is not recommended because large dogs need to grow at a steady but not rapid rate. Rapid growth is repoted to cause more bone related problems. I did a lot of comparisons of protein, fat content & calcium.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I fed Oakly adult food from day one. The breeder suggested doing this to slow his growth to allow for better bone development. Not sure if there is any truth to this but he is a solid healthy boy at three now.
That is my understanding too. First use a Large Breed puppy food OR an adult food. WATCH the protein levels listed on the package. Try to stay in the 25%-30% range. Then target for a weight gain of about 1 1/2 lbs per week up to 20 weeks.

Here's an article, detailing the slow growth plan, that might help. It is golden retriever specific and explains why slow growth is so important.

http://www.goldenretriever.lv/rhonda_slow_grow.htm

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Trace has been on adult food since 8 weeks...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts