Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know if anyone has ever had a similar experience. Please share any suggestions or advice. Our little Lacie, 12 weeks old this coming Tuesday, has had some intestinal problems since we brought her home from the breeder at 8 weeks. Our vet, a highly respected and caring woman, examined Lacie and said that she had roundworm and an inflamed intestinal tract. So she put her on Flagyl and a puppy food called Royal Canine High Energy Gastrointestinal Puppy (HE 27) Well, we have been on this for about 3 weeks and EVERY time Lacie eats this, the following happens. She is calm and gentle before the meal. About 15-20 minutes after she eats, she becomes super charged and starts jumping, pulling on her leash, attacking her toys while growling at them. She charges after my wife or I and attempts to bite our pants and jumps up to grab our shirt and hands. She growls and races around. Then after about 20 minutes of this, she calms down and sleeps. When she awakens, she is as calm as she was before. This happens at breakfast, lunch , and supper. It is frightening to watch. Has anyone else ever had such an experience and could you offer any suggestions? According to the vet, Lacie needs this type of kibble and is also on Purina probiotic to help her digestion as well.
Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
It probably has nothing to do with the food your puppy is eating. How much exercise does your puppy get?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lacie gets quite a bit. She is walked in the morning, afternoon, and at night. We play ball and do training. I think she is pretty active. Why do you think it might not be the puppy food? This behavior only happens 15-20 minutes after she eats. Could you please elaborate and tell me what else I could do? Is the above too little exercise? I just don't want to have her injure her developing hips so I walk her for about 20 minutes at our three daily walks. Thanks

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
My puppy is 15 weeks old, and before I feed her she is usually very calm, sleeping or playing. After she eats, she wants to go out and run, play, chase, you name it. It think she just gets a boost of energy from her food and needs a way to out it. I always take Liza outside after she eats, not only to go potty, but also to run some of the steam off, together with our older girl.
Liza plays about eight times a day ten to fifteen minutes outside, either chasing her sister or playing fetch. That usually takes care of her energy boosts.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
To me at least, it sounds more like zoomies that your dog is doing. 12 week old puppies are really cute, but still have moments where they act like wild animals. Cookie went through a short period where she ripped a bunch of my pants...but through training and maturity she stopped this behavior and we look at the ripped clothes now and laugh. :)

·
Kristy
9,301 Posts
Count me as a 'check' in the column voting for zoomies.... she's starting to get older and I bet she is needing a little more vigorous exercise than walks. Do you have anyone in your puppy class you could try to arrange playdates with? There's nothing like a puppy playdate to help them burn off some steam if you can schedule once or twice a week.

·
Dad to Bogey and Reese
1,119 Posts
I've got a 12 week old here too...

Eat, Poop, Play and Zoomies, Chill, Sleep...Rinse and repeat ;)

Our boy doesn't get too ruff unless we initiate it, and when he does, we can calm him with fetch and keep away down a long hall way or other toys.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
My guy is 3 y.o. and every morning after he has breakfast he comes charging into the kitchen and jumps on me. It's not aggression and I'm sure it doesn't have anything to do with the brand of kibble. I think it's kind of funny. He does the same sort of thing after a bath, runs around the house, grabbing the towels and jumping on me.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Sounds like zoomies... and possibly the product of an over-tired puppy. I know when my boys got especially bratty, it was usually a sign that they were ready to take a nap. So into the crate they would go. Zoomies will eventually be something cute like running around the yard at full tilt but right now it's all mouth and sharp puppy teeth. Best to avoid it if you can. Once she's done playing and starts to get overly amped up, try some quiet crate time. I would be willing to bet your pup zonks right out.

Good luck!

Julie, Jersey and Oz

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I am with the others, this is just normal puppy behavior. Great job noticing the pattern! Now you can adjust your routine to accommodate. When Tucker was little, he would have the same moments as you describe. I wish I could remember if it was after he had eaten. The walk suggestion after meals would probably help.

·
Registered
639 Posts
You are entering that difficult phase of puppy ownership! My Ozzy is so sweet and gentle but I swear at that age we were convinced we had an aggression problem on our hands. I still have SO many clothes with holes in them (generally on the pants legs, but occassional shirts too). I remember a member here commenting that someday I'd look back fondly at the holes...she was right!

·
Montys journey
5 Posts
Isn't it bad for their health going for a walk after eating. I always thought they could experience the serious medical issue Bloat? Any information on this. Thanks.

·
Registered
389 Posts
We were lucky it was warm and could wear shorts because it was a nightmare to wear pants! I wore the same couple outfits everyday because I was tired of my clothes getting ripped! When I am cleaning or doing something messy I will wear one of my shirts with holes from the crazy Kasey days!:)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow! A big thanks to all of you who answered my question about Lacie's wild behavior after she eats. I am so glad to hear that it is not the food but rather just normal golden retriever puppy behavior. I will take your advice and do a walk after we eat (about 20 minutes) and will keep it at a slow to moderate pace. I will also incorporate more exercise into her daily activity and will be aware if she is overtired and needs a nap. Thanks again for your comments and advice. It is much appreciated.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It's a behavioral issue, has nothing to do with food. Are you spending time with the pup? Could be separation anxiety.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Rukiri,
Oh yes. I spend quite a bit of time with my puppy and my wife works from home, so she gets plenty of attention from her as well. Do you think maybe she gets too much attention and then has an issue with the times that she is alone? We usually let her nap in her crate before we feed her. Maybe that alone time before meals has something to do with it?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts