Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our 9.5 week old puppy weighs about 9.4LBS I think (we rely on some pretty shoddy bathroom scales) and seems to be constantly hungry!

She was about 8.6LBs at 8 weeks and we were feeding her about 1 cup of PPP Large breed puppy kibble. Aside from her first day or so home, she's always been a pretty good eater, but she recently just started looking like she's STARVING at every single mealtime, so we're starting to up it to 1.5 cups. Does this seem about right? I feel her ribs easily, and top down she has a nice waist, but she just seems so unbelievably hungry all the time. She also gets a stuffed kong (about a quarter full) most afternoons, and a small bit of peanut butter on a mat to lick in the mornings in her crate.

Yesterday she ate her dinner so quickly, she threw it up midway and the kibble looked totally whole, not even chewed up a bit - it could have come straight out of the bag!! Of course she proceeded to consume all of it. We generally use lunch and dinner for training, so she's getting at least part of her meal hand fed one by one, but when we give her the kibble as reward, it literally goes straight down her throat. You don't here a single crunch. This morning I gave her soaked kibble in a bowl instead and it seemed to marginally slow her down - no regurgitated kibble. Is this the way to go? I'd love to keep using lunch and dinner for some training but I just don't know how to slow her down when we're handfeeding her.

·
Kristy
10,146 Posts
You're feeding her 1 cup per meal/ twice a day, right? Some Goldens will convince you they are starving to death - my current girl is one of them. Your puppy may need just a bit more food but you'd want to weigh her a couple of times a week to keep her from gaining too much too fast. Invest in a new bathroom scale and keep an eye on her body condition. Discuss her ideal weight with your vet and that you want her to be on the leaner end of healthy, it's better for her over the long run. All puppies are individuals but this article is a great rule of thumb to help guide you if you'd like to read over it: 2017 Slow Growth Guide by Rhonda Hovan

There are feeders designed to help slow her down, your instinct to water the food a bit was a good one. It's extremely rare but not unheard of for a puppy to inhale a bit of kibble and get it lodged in the lung, which is fatal. Keep hand feeding her (slowly) and train at meal times, it's a great habit to develop. She's sounding like a pretty normal GOlden puppy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're feeding her 1 cup per meal/ twice a day, right? Some Goldens will convince you they are starving to death - my current girl is one of them. Your puppy may need just a bit more food but you'd want to weigh her a couple of times a week to keep her from gaining too much too fast. Invest in a new bathroom scale and keep an eye on her body condition. Discuss her ideal weight with your vet and that you want her to be on the leaner end of healthy, it's better for her over the long run. All puppies are individuals but this article is a great rule of thumb to help guide you if you'd like to read over it: 2017 Slow Growth Guide by Rhonda Hovan

There are feeders designed to help slow her down, your instinct to water the food a bit was a good one. It's extremely rare but not unheard of for a puppy to inhale a bit of kibble and get it lodged in the lung, which is fatal. Keep hand feeding her (slowly) and train at meal times, it's a great habit to develop. She's sounding like a pretty normal GOlden puppy.
Oh dear, no we were doing 1 cup for the whole day, split in three meals which is sort of in the middle of the bag recommendation. I had read on this forum that the bags tend to overstate, so we were being a bit conservative. We are upping her slowly to 1.5 cups over three meals a day now - should be there by tomorrow. Thanks for the link - I'll have a read! We are off to the vet for her second round of shots on Friday so will try to ask there as well.

On hand feeding her, the problem is we let her take it off our palms and it goes right down - crunching is so rare!! She just makes the kibble disappear!

·
Kate
22,302 Posts
You could feed her up to 1 cup per meal - 3x a day.

My guys are usually eating almost 3 cups a day as baby pups - and that gets reduced to 2 cups when I switch them to 2 meals later on.

·
Kristy
10,146 Posts
Oh dear, no we were doing 1 cup for the whole day, split in three meals which is sort of in the middle of the bag recommendation. I had read on this forum that the bags tend to overstate, so we were being a bit conservative. We are upping her slowly to 1.5 cups over three meals a day now - should be there by tomorrow. Thanks for the link - I'll have a read! We are off to the vet for her second round of shots on Friday so will try to ask there as well.

On hand feeding her, the problem is we let her take it off our palms and it goes right down - crunching is so rare!! She just makes the kibble disappear!
Well, she was hungry. You have good instincts, anytime you have questions - call the vet if it's serious or check here when it's not so serious but you will figure it all out, she will learn to take food gently from you if you work on it - and she'snot quite so hungry ;) When she gets too big to pick up, your vet should be fine with you coming in for weight checks.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The fact that many puppies gulp down their food, like there is no tomorrow, does not indicate they are starving hungry! Most all of our Golden's have eaten that way, and most did throughout their lives...they just love to eat! But, they are not starving.....just normal 'Grub Hounds'!

·
Kristy
10,146 Posts
The fact that many puppies gulp down their food, like there is no tomorrow, does not indicate they are starving hungry! Most all of our Golden's have eaten that way, and most did throughout their lives...they just love to eat! But, they are not starving.....just normal 'Grub Hounds'!
If you read a little farther down, you'll see that this puppy was actually not getting quite enough food. I asked about amount to be sure and was glad I did.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, she was hungry. You have good instincts, anytime you have questions - call the vet if it's serious or check here when it's not so serious but you will figure it all out, she will learn to take food gently from you if you work on it - and she'snot quite so hungry ;) When she gets too big to pick up, your vet should be fine with you coming in for weight checks.
Thank you! We'll continue to up her food and verify with the vet as well. Poor puppy!!

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
FWIW my dogs MAY occasionally chew their kibble if it's fed one piece at a time (as training treats for example) but out of the bowl or as a kibble scatter it pretty much does go down whole. I wouldn't worry so much about her not chewing as I would about how fast she eats. If feeding her more doesn't slow her down a bit you'll want to consider doing more of what you are already doing (water in the kibble, treat dispensing toys, stuffed into kongs, used as training treats, etc.) to try to reduce how much she's gulping down at once.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FWIW my dogs MAY occasionally chew their kibble if it's fed one piece at a time (as training treats for example) but out of the bowl or as a kibble scatter it pretty much does go down whole. I wouldn't worry so much about her not chewing as I would about how fast she eats. If feeding her more doesn't slow her down a bit you'll want to consider doing more of what you are already doing (water in the kibble, treat dispensing toys, stuffed into kongs, used as training treats, etc.) to try to reduce how much she's gulping down at once.
Thanks! That makes me feel a bit better, looks like we just need to slow her down between kibble bites...

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
If you read a little farther down, you'll see that this puppy was actually not getting quite enough food. I asked about amount to be sure and was glad I did.
I did see that, I was only making the point that the way a pup eats does not necessarily mean they are underfed! You have to look beyond that....

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,481 Posts
FWIW, my 10.5 week old girl is eating a full cup twice a day with probably another full cup during the day as scatter treats (ie; when she goes into her crate) and mini dog bones when she comes inside in addition to training treats. I think she is probably around 20 maybe 25 pounds...she goes to the vet today so will be weighed. She is not overweight by any means .

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FWIW, my 10.5 week old girl is eating a full cup twice a day with probably another full cup during the day as scatter treats (ie; when she goes into her crate) and mini dog bones when she comes inside in addition to training treats. I think she is probably around 20 maybe 25 pounds...she goes to the vet today so will be weighed. She is not overweight by any means .
Thanks! Ours started off a little smaller so we're trying to avoid her gaining too much too quickly. Having said that we are at 1.5 cups per day today and will use up to 0.5cups for inbetween meal training. So far she definitely seems less hungry and desperate for food all the time, so I think we really had to up her meals.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update on the cute little nugget - she's not so little anymore! 😱😱 We upped her food to 2 cups per day by Wednesday/Thursday last week. She weighed in at 10.4lbs on Friday at the vet (who thought she was growing at pace and 2 cups seemed fine), but we weighed her last night and she was 12.6lbs!!! 2.2lbs in not even 4 days!? I'm sort of questioning our scale / uneven floor in the flat, but so much for slow growth!? We are thinking of cutting back to 1.5cups per day. Thoughts!?

Also we got the slow feeder bowl. Great idea, it really slowed her down! From day one she figured out how to flip it with her paws though, after lots of barking and growling at the bowl, and dragging it around 😅. We just need to hold it down for her while she eats!

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
She's so cute! Rukie is one who has always completely vacuumed up his food like he was starving. I found the PPP guidelines to be about right but I was constantly tweaking it based on how easily I could feel his ribs. We used the slow feeder, hand fed, and now we lay 2 bones across the bowl with a bigger heavy Kong bone on top of those to slow him down.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
She's so cute! Rukie is one who has always completely vacuumed up his food like he was starving. I found the PPP guidelines to be about right but I was constantly tweaking it based on how easily I could feel his ribs. We used the slow feeder, hand fed, and now we lay 2 bones across the bowl with a bigger heavy Kong bone on top of those to slow him down.
I can still feel her ribs, but definitely not as easily as late last week - looks like we may need to cut back a little!

Good idea with the bones haha, for when she's older! We're still trying to find something tasty that she can chew on safely as a puppy. We gave her a bully stick last weekend, but learnt recently they are not safe for puppies. Nylabones / benebones go over okay with her - she'll chew on them for short periods of time, but certainly not the level of enthusiasm as she had for the bully stick!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts