Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had my puppy Jake just over a week. He is now 8 weeks and 3 days old and anytime he poops he eats it right after. I push him away and say no after he is done to prevent him from doing this but when he goes to the bathroom and i don't catch him on time he still eats it. Its driving me crazy what do I do to stop him from doing this ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
I've no solution for you, my pup Tess is 10 weeks, and she doesn't do it (up to now), but I know that this topic has been on the Forum several times. You might want to insert something like 'eating poop' in the search column, it will give you a lot of info.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I can't offer any advice except clean up as often as possible. Sully has done this on and off for two years, but Scotty (from same breeder) has never showed any interest. My vet's advice (sad to say) was some dogs just do it. I'll be interested in any advice that actually will work, too. Thanks for bringing up the topic.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would ask first what is the puppy being fed?

Purina Puppy Chow since this is what the breeder was feeding him. With all these holidays around I didn't want to switch him to a better food since we have been traveling a lot and don't want to make his food switching another stress but do plan on switching his food in about a week or two to a more nutritious one (Still have to figure out which kind to put him on)

·
16,000 Posts
Purina Puppy Chow since this is what the breeder was feeding him. With all these holidays around I didn't want to switch him to a better food since we have been traveling a lot and don't want to make his food switching another stress but do plan on switching his food in about a week or two to a more nutritious one (Still have to figure out which kind to put him on)
This is quite common in puppies fed Puppy Chow, and dogs fed Dog Chow. These foods are not highly digestible, and the dogs are inclined to "re-eat" it...I'd waste no time switching him.

·
luv my goldens
481 Posts
The only suggestion I have is to clean it up immediately. Sierra eats hers as well. Nothing we have tried seems to work.

·
16,000 Posts
Making the stool unpalatable to the dog is key, if immediate clean-up is notpossible. Some have had success with adding pineapple juice to the diet, an enzyme in the juice makes the stool smell and taste less attractive. There is also a product called Forbid which can be added to the diet, also an enzyme.
Personally, I'd switch foods and add a probiotic like Nature's Farmacy Digestive Enhancer, which helps to assure that the food is thoroughly digested. Since using it in my own dogs' food I've not had a single dog with coprophagia (stool eating).

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
Just to agree with PointGold, I'd definitely change the food if he is re-eating poop simply because of bacteria's like Coccidia.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts