Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, we brought Lady home 4 days ago at 8 weeks and we are transitioning her from using puppy pads by the back door within her pen (not inside of her crate) to going outside in the backyard. She is used to going in her pen by the door, and we are good at knowing her body language and predicting her schedule. We reward her with pets and 1 treat with the "Go Pee" command for both #1 and #2.

When we KNOW she is ready to "Go Pee" (after a nap, 5-10 min after eating, or by body language - usually jumping trying to escape), we take her outside on her drag lead leash to a spot on the cement near the lawn where we have a puppy pad down ready for her. Our lawn is covered in leaves right now, so she gets too distracted chewing everything for her to go right on the lawn. We have her confined by her leash to an area near the pad where she can sniff and explore some, but she has a hard time going with us around (she held it in for 1 hour last night!). If we take her back to her pen, she will go quickly.

Any ideas on what I can do to help the process??

Thanks,
Tyler

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
If you can try and clear a area of leaves so your puppy has grass instead of the pad to pee on outside. They need to know what grass feels like. Then try again to take pup on a leash to the potty spot. Chloe would not go when on a leash. We would just take her out to her spot and put her down and say go potty. Your pup is very young. It will catch on if you stay consistent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I've cleared a spot in the grass, but she just thinks it's play time and forgets all about needing to relieve herself (constantly chews on grass and pulls hard to try and run around).
I found this thread of someone with the same concern: http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/golden-retriever-puppy-up-1-year/200-eats-everything.html
Sounds like it's just something they'll grow out of. For the time being, I'll just have to keep practicing and deal. I'll try to wait until the last possible minute to bring her to the grass.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
I agree with the basic idea of getting to the grass. I used a 20' training lead rather than a leash but controlled it to only allow my pup to wander 6 to 10 feet around me while I would go to the same spot each and every time and give the "go potty" command. I picked the particular spot for it's lack of distractions but always allowed time for sniffing before and after so they don't put off going thinking it's the end of outdoor time. You need to be willing to sound like a lunatic to your neighbors when you praise them for doing their business when and where you want them to. It's "throw a party" time.
Consistency is the key and I learned that sometimes it takes a little walk around to stimulate number 2. Our leash walking was confined to strolling around our property until the immunizations were complete. Most of our potty training was over the winter so I maintained boots, hat, gloves and winter coat at the patio door for quick donning.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Thanks, I've cleared a spot in the grass, but she just thinks it's play time and forgets all about needing to relieve herself (constantly chews on grass and pulls hard to try and run around).
I found this thread of someone with the same concern: http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/golden-retriever-puppy-up-1-year/200-eats-everything.html
Sounds like it's just something they'll grow out of. For the time being, I'll just have to keep practicing and deal. I'll try to wait until the last possible minute to bring her to the grass.
It's very normal. It's hard to get them to do their business before playtime. Eventually we just didn't worry about it and when she went she went. It was hard because we brought her home in the worst part of winter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with the basic idea of getting to the grass. I used a 20' training lead rather than a leash but controlled it to only allow my pup to wander 6 to 10 feet around me while I would go to the same spot each and every time and give the "go potty" command. I picked the particular spot for it's lack of distractions but always allowed time for sniffing before and after so they don't put off going thinking it's the end of outdoor time. You need to be willing to sound like a lunatic to your neighbors when you praise them for doing their business when and where you want them to. It's "throw a party" time.
Consistency is the key and I learned that sometimes it takes a little walk around to stimulate number 2. Our leash walking was confined to strolling around our property until the immunizations were complete. Most of our potty training was over the winter so I maintained boots, hat, gloves and winter coat at the patio door for quick donning.
Kelly, since I'm using a drag lead, do you recommend correcting her when she chews on grass or goes for sticks and leaves instead of doing her business? The correction seems to work well in the house for jumping and chewing on undesirables, but I'm afraid of how frequent the correction is on the lawn. I don't want it to be a bad experience.

Tyler

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
8 weeks is sooo young. Be patient with your little girl and keep showing her gently but firmly what you expect. One day she will cotton on and then she will probably be totally potty trained within 2/3 days. That's what happened to Buddy at around 11 weeks.

·
Kate
22,164 Posts
Kelly, since I'm using a drag lead, do you recommend correcting her when she chews on grass or goes for sticks and leaves instead of doing her business? The correction seems to work well in the house for jumping and chewing on undesirables, but I'm afraid of how frequent the correction is on the lawn. I don't want it to be a bad experience.
You need to keep playtime and potty outings separate. And one way you can do that is not putting a drag leash on your dog when she's supposed to be going potty.

Another thing you can do is take one of her used potty pads out into your yard and leave it there for a little while. And always take her to that spot to go potty. When she smells her pee, it will remind her to go potty. If she goes poop in your yard - I'd leave that out there as a scent reminder for her.

After she's gone potty - you can put a longer lead on for her to drag around with her and tell her to "go play".

Always stick to the same routine of making sure she goes potty first.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
I don't try to correct them for nosing around, I try to keep them guided away from sticks, rocks and harmful things and just encourage them to "go potty" and celebrate when they do. I also like to give them time afterward to do what they want instead of heading in right away. I too brought my puppy home last October and it was a cold nasty winter but we had fun. At 8 weeks we set up one of those octagon shaped play gates in the potty area and tried that but it was easier to just keep him on the line and keep interacting to reinforce what we were there for. I did use the playpen to cordon off the landscaping that seemed to be irresistible at that age.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts