Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simba was on PPP Large Breed Salmon and Rice kibble until it started giving him GI issues after a bout of antibiotics due to a skin infection. Changed him to PPP LB Chicken and Rice but he wasn't a fan. So I tried the 5-lb bag of Eukanaba LB chicken kibble. He liked the transition period but as soon as he was eating Eukanaba whole, he again stopped eating. He barely eats breakfast and only eats dinner because he's hungry and after I've added a topper.

Yesterday, we went to the beach for the first time and he had a great time even though he was scared of the water. But all that running around should have made him super hungry but he again didn't finish his food. Right now, he's barely eating 2 cups of the Eukanaba per day when he should be eating at least 3 cups.

His usual exercise is about 1.5 hours every day, which includes walking, playing fetch, running, etc. He's also on the small side, only 55-lb for a 1 year old puppy.

I know Hill's Science has a LB lamb and rice formula but that brand refuses to sell their food in small bags. He has tried Hill's before, not that particular flavor, and he's not a huge fan of it, and neither am I.

Has anyone have any good results with PPP LB Beef and Rice formula? Or am I allowed to go outside the brands under the WSAVA guidelines? Because I'm really limited in my choices here.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I have two very active retrievers. One is 56 pounds and the other about 60 pounds both eat just over two cups of PPP 30/20 in one daily feeding.
Unless your pup is underweight or shows some sign of illness, stop worrying about his food so much. You can create a picky eater by topping his food and feeding too many treats.

Reactions: Sankari

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have two very active retrievers. One is 56 pounds and the other about 60 pounds both eat just over two cups of PPP 30/20 in one daily feeding.
Unless your pup is underweight or shows some sign of illness, stop worrying about his food so much. You can create a picky eater by topping his food and feeding too many treats.
That is good advice about the toppers. I never had to top his food when he was on the Salmon and Rice because he used to devour that. Also, he only gets about two pieces of beef liver broken down into tiny pieces as a training tool once a day. Sometimes, he doesn't eat even with the toppers. If I don't try and make him eat in some way, he will barely eat a cup, sometimes less, a day. That's why I want to try changing the flavor because if he likes his food, I don't have to worry about him not eating enough. I think he came to me already a picky eater.

P.S. he's completely healthy otherwise, just saw the vet a couple days ago.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
If I don't try and make him eat in some way, he will barely eat a cup, sometimes less, a day.
Are you actually measuring exactly one cup?
I use a 2 cup measure that no longer has any markings on it. Level full it's 2 1/4- 2 1/3 cup?.
Dogs eat less in the summer, even when working hard. I almost feel stingy about how how little I feed, but it is all they need.

·
Registered
Ramses
248 Posts
Just wanted to add the same as @SRW - is it possible that your golden has a lower appetite due to the summer heat? Last year before my golden turned one in July, he did the same and it started around the month of June. He would leave some kibbles behind. I fretted quite alot and then I simply started feeding a touch less than a cup and he would eat everything up. Also I didnt leave the food bowls lying around - I took his bowls up after 10 mins if he didn't want to eat them.. Admittedly though my golden heavier - 67 pounds (30kg), so maybe he was already telling me that he didn't need to be fed so much ...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you actually measuring exactly one cup?
I use a 2 cup measure that no longer has any markings on it. Level full it's 2 1/4- 2 1/3 cup?.
Dogs eat less in the summer, even when working hard. I almost feel stingy about how how little I feed, but it is all they need.
Yes, the cup I use has four markings 1/2 cup apart until 2 cups. I always measure how much he doesn't eat afterwards. I'm actually thinking of doing a taste test of different flavors of 5-lb bags since his vet said he can switch to adult food and it doesn't necessarily have to be large breed. Is there a marked difference between puppy chicken and adult chicken?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just wanted to add the same as @SRW - is it possible that your golden has a lower appetite due to the summer heat? Last year before my golden turned one in July, he did the same and it started around the month of June. He would leave some kibbles behind. I fretted quite alot and then I simply started feeding a touch less than a cup and he would eat everything up. Also I didnt leave the food bowls lying around - I took his bowls up after 10 mins if he didn't want to eat them.. Admittedly though my golden heavier - 67 pounds (30kg), so maybe he was already telling me that he didn't need to be fed so much ...
So you would feed about a cup twice a day? Once a day?

·
Registered
Ramses
248 Posts
So you would feed about a cup twice a day? Once a day?
Yes that's exactly what I did... It was a touch less than 1 cup per meal - say about 10-15g lesser each meal. So in a day slightly less than 2 cups. I hope I'm explaining clearly ... 😬

He went back to eating more once the temperatures started going down in autumn. Of course as a paranoid first time dog owner, I did take him to my vet and he was all fine. His stools were fine, and his energy levels were fine. He just decided he did not want to eat so much...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes that's exactly what I did... It was a touch less than 1 cup per meal - say about 10-15g lesser each meal. So in a day slightly less than 2 cups. I hope I'm explaining clearly ... 😬

He went back to eating more once the temperatures started going down in autumn. Of course as a paranoid first time dog owner, I did take him to my vet and he was all fine. His stools were fine, and his energy levels were fine. He just decided he did not want to eat so much...
That's honestly encouraging to hear. Simba woudn't even eat a cup a day if I didn't add any toppers so I'll try to find a food that he likes. Your dog didn't lose any weight over the summer?

·
Registered
Ramses
248 Posts
That's honestly encouraging to hear. Simba woudn't even eat a cup a day if I didn't add any toppers so I'll try to find a food that he likes. Your dog didn't lose any weight over the summer?
My golden was already fatter than SRWs and yours -- I mean he was 73lbs (33kg) and my vet said that's ok but Ramses was to gain no more than this. He actually stayed that way weight wise, until he got a hookworm diagnosis late last year in December and then he lost some weight due to that and somewhat chronic diarrhea till late February. And then after recovery, he has consistently maintained 67 lbs (30kg).. he never lost weight during the summer and he was very active too. So I can understand how you feel because, like yourself, I assumed he needed to eat for all the calories he had lost with the activities he had done in the summer. But he didn't need them apparently...

·
Registered
Ramses
248 Posts
Also perhaps another suggestion that was given to me; and I know this sounds terrible... but have you ever tried picking up his food bowl after a set time if he doesn't eat his meal and then try to feed him again the next meal and see if he really goes off his food?

I know this is difficult to do because I had to do it too when I had to transition my golden to adult kibbles from puppy ones. And the adult kibbles were larger than the puppy ones. My golden doesn't like to eat big sized kibbles so he starved himself for 3 days when I tried this tough love approach and then threw up bile. I caved and found another bag of kibbles (smaller sizes ones) and transitioned him.. the only time I actually changed foods. Not saying that this is your case. There could be or course a very legitimate reason he's not eating....

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Is there a marked difference between puppy chicken and adult chicken?
PPP puppy formula basically has more fillers that add nothing but bulk. The reasons being people think they need special food for puppies and also tend to over feed.
I never feed puppy formula.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also perhaps another suggestion that was given to me; and I know this sounds terrible... but have you ever tried picking up his food bowl after a set time if he doesn't eat his meal and then try to feed him again the next meal and see if he really goes off his food?

I know this is difficult to do because I had to do it too when I had to transition my golden to adult kibbles from puppy ones. And the adult kibbles were larger than the puppy ones. My golden doesn't like to eat big sized kibbles so he starved himself for 3 days when I tried this tough love approach and then threw up bile. I caved and found another bag of kibbles (smaller sizes ones) and transitioned him.. the only time I actually changed foods. Not saying that this is your case. There could be or course a very legitimate reason he's not eating....
Yes, I always pick up his bowl after 20 minutes and give him the left overs for dinner. He has starved himself for two days before he ate. The next day he was back to starving himself. That can't be healthy. He's just picky. I'm going to try the different flavors test and see which one sticks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Simba was on PPP Large Breed Salmon and Rice kibble until it started giving him GI issues after a bout of antibiotics due to a skin infection. Changed him to PPP LB Chicken and Rice but he wasn't a fan. So I tried the 5-lb bag of Eukanaba LB chicken kibble. He liked the transition period but as soon as he was eating Eukanaba whole, he again stopped eating. He barely eats breakfast and only eats dinner because he's hungry and after I've added a topper.

Yesterday, we went to the beach for the first time and he had a great time even though he was scared of the water. But all that running around should have made him super hungry but he again didn't finish his food. Right now, he's barely eating 2 cups of the Eukanaba per day when he should be eating at least 3 cups.

His usual exercise is about 1.5 hours every day, which includes walking, playing fetch, running, etc. He's also on the small side, only 55-lb for a 1 year old puppy.

I know Hill's Science has a LB lamb and rice formula but that brand refuses to sell their food in small bags. He has tried Hill's before, not that particular flavor, and he's not a huge fan of it, and neither am I.

Has anyone have any good results with PPP LB Beef and Rice formula? Or am I allowed to go outside the brands under the WSAVA guidelines? Because I'm really limited in my choices here.
Try buying form a reputable online retailer like Chewys. You will always get your choice and save a lot of time and trouble. I grew tired of Pet Smart not having my choice of PPP.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Chewy
Product Font Screenshot Material property Technology

Lots of products out of stock right now. It is not the fault of any retailer or manufacturer, they want to produce and sell products.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
True re: retailers, Chewy...not so much, oddly, particularly with PP
At the risk of further grandstanding;
Do you believe Chewy is intentianally out of stock on some products? Seems like a poor business plan.

·
Registered
153 Posts
At the risk of further grandstanding;
Do you believe Chewy is intentianally out of stock on some products? Seems like a poor business plan.
You are missing the point altogether.Chewy's is RARELY out of stock on PPP. Hers's the content of my original post: Try buying form a reputable online retailer like Chewys. You will always get your choice and save a lot of time and trouble. I grew tired of Pet Smart not having my choice of PPP.

Does that sound read or infer that they intentionally are out of stock? Pet Smart is subject to restrictions on space as they carry every brand imaginable, and they sell quite a bit and yes restock quickly however that doesn't change the fact that you may go to purchase a particular food and NOT find it. Sorry you're having trouble with this post, was not my intention.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts