Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this issue up in my first post, but i'm going to repost it here because i need a little bit more advice.

I recently got a puppy, Kaiser. He was born 28 November 2013. We got him around the 6th of January. I now know this is a major problem as the pup was way too young to be separated from the mother. unfortunately i didn't know this at the time. I think many of my issues stem from this early separation from the mom.

I would really appreciate if i can get some advice to help resolve some of the issues i'm facing.

This biggest problem is the diet. Its very difficult to feed him, very fussy fellow. I tried to give him dog food, but he refused to eat that. All the better I suppose, as i later found out that most of the dog food here are very bad, mostly consisting of cheap corn and by products. So after that i decided to give him home made food and vitamin/calcium/mineral supplements.

So far his meal consists of:
20% chicken (dark meat),
10% fish,
10% chicken by products (liver and heart),
10% yogurt,
10% boiled egg,
30% rice, and
10% veggie (pumpkin and spinach, mostly)

we give him three of those and milk twice, once morning and evening. I also try to slip in some banana here and there, only very little though, like two tablespoons.

He doesn't like this diet at all. He only nibbles on it for a little and then runs off somewhere else. So, when he refuses to eat we end up giving him more of the stuff he likes which is the yogurt. Feeding him is a nightmare, i end up feeding him by hand all the time.

What can i do to get him to eat regularly?

He's almost 7 weeks 3 days old and weighs 6.35 Kg (14 lb). He's quite skinny and i can feel his ribs when i stroke his side. I am worried that his development will get stunted. He's also a very active dogs, he runs around all the time and has ample energy. Is he playing too much?

on a side note, yesterday he was making a huge ruckus asking for the family food. So we gave him some of the chicken we had made for us, de-boned of course, and he gulped this down very enthusiastically. The only problem is that this food has quite a bit of spices in it and salt as well. I'm not sure if it would be healthy for Kaiser to eat this type of food.

i'd really like some advice on the eating problem. please tell me if I'm doing things wrong.

·
Cooper & Brady
286 Posts
Cooper was about 10 lbs at 8 weeks old.

My input on this would be

1) Get a good puppy chow and stick to it…I recommend going to dogfoodadvisor.com and searching the forum for recommendations. It helped me immensely during my dog food search.

Could you order food online? I think I have read posts from people that have ordered dog food online.

I considered a homemade/raw diet for my dog when I was looking at dog food but then decided against it. I would worry that he wasn't getting all the necessary nutrients.

2) I think your puppy might still be getting used to his new environment, so I think him not eating as much as he could be is okay. As long he does not have other health problems that would make him refuse food.

3) I think by feeding him things he wants (yogurt and table scraps) you going to make it difficult for yourself in the future. I went through this too. I would feel bad Cooper wasn't eating and mix in wet canned food (his favorite) into his kibble to make it more appetizing. He eventually learned that if he waited long enough, he would get the good stuff. Dogs won't starve themselves (assuming that they are healthy). I would put down food for 20-30 mins. Then take away the bowl and not give him anything until the next meal. He will learn to eat what is given to him, when it is given. I did the same thing with Cooper.

Also, here, in the US, it is advised against giving my dog milk. However I do know that people in other countries, primarily India, give their dogs milk. So just something to think about!

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
First, welcome to you and Kaiser. I am sorry I missed your introduction thread.

While you got little Kaiser at a younger age than what is now customary in the US, his weight at 7 and a bit weeks old looks to me quite normal (my girl was 13 lbs at 9 weeks) which means he has been growing steadily. I think that the problem you are facing now with his pickiness about food probably comes from the fact that when you got him he was not quite ready to eat dry dog food. However, at his age now he is. I am not sure that what you are feeding him now (unless you got your recipe from a nutritionist) is balanced enough to promote good growth in the long term.

I had a very quick look to see what is available to you in Sri Lanka. The one brand I found that I am familiar with is Eukanuba which is an overall fine brand. If it is possible for you, I would get some Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy (Brown & Company PLC. / https://www.facebook.com/EukanubaSriLanka). I would give him about 700 g of that daily divided in three meals rather than two (Large Breed Puppy Food | Eukanuba).
Since he has been used to all kind of other things and you have chicken available, I would boil some chicken (no bones), keep the broth, and put a little of the broth and a teeny tiny bit of the boiled chicken mixed with his dry food. Give him the bowl with the dog food, broth, chicken mix in a quiet place that he cannot wander off from (a small bathroom or his crate if he has one), leave him be for about 15 minutes, and pick up (and throw away) whatever is left.
Do not give him anything else at meal times; you can use fresh fruit/vegetable/organs/chicken for treats (very tiny pieces, like the fingernail on your little finger). He might not finish all his meal at first because it will be different from what he is used to but you if persevere, I am pretty sure he will within a day or two. Once he eats that, you may cut down on the boiled chicken and the broth little by little if you want to or just keep it that way.

It is normal and even somewhat desirable to be able to feel his ribs a bit. What does he look like when he is wet ? Are the ribs, vertebrae, and hip bones really visible ? According to his weight, I would tend to think his growth is not stunted at all right now.

As far as exercise, being active is good.He is too young for any kind of forced exercise but let him run around of his own free will all he wants. That's how he will develop his muscles and stamina. I don't think there is such a thing as too much playing for a puppy unless the temperature and humidity are terrible.

You are right to think that spicy and salty foods are not good for him. It might give him tummy aches if he eats just a bit too much of it. I would also avoid the milk because lots of dogs are a bit sensitive to it and even if he is not, the calcium in it might do more bad than good long term.

Reactions: Shan

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll try to cut out the table scraps and other miscellaneous stuff, and try to put him on a regimented diet. I've already got a bag of Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy. the thing is the kibble is very hard and rather large it takes a long time for Kaiser chew on them. So maybe i'll soak it with some warm water.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Yes, the soaking might very well help. On the other hand, eating a bit slow is not a bad thing. I wish mine took more time rather than inhaling their food.

I did not mean that you need to cut on everything at all times; there are lots of things that are healthy for snacks or treats. Just give them separately from meals

1 - 6 of 6 Posts