Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

My baby Tofi is 11 weeks old, I got her on Thursday. She begun to have loose stool yesterday night (it was pudding-like) and today she had to go very frequently. Well I noticed when she's on Puppy Chow her stool wasn't firm either.

Here are the events that happened in the past few days and I'm just hoping to figure out what might have caused the diarrhea.

1. On friday I took her to the vet for the very first shot in her life. Also the vet gave her a dewormer pill. Friday night & Saturday she pooped out worms.

2. She ate about a cup of the cat's food few days ago and again last night.

3. I've in the progress of switching her from Purina Puppy Chow to Blue Buffalo puppy formula. I fed her 25% Blue with 75% Puppy Chow for lunch, then ~40% Blue & 60% Puppy Chow at night. Today I fed her 65% Blue and 35% Puppy Chow.

I don't know if it's me switching food too fast that makes her stomach upset or if it was the shot or the dewormer or the cat food??

I gave her a teaspoon of canned pumpkin, plain rice & chicken breast for dinner & she seems better now.

Here's a picture of my beautiful girl :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
it's more than likely the existence of the worms than anything else. cat food and dewormer maybe also contribute, but i'd still attribute it to the worms.

also, you need to switch food gradually for at least a week.

do you know what worms she has?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for the reply. Do you mean there's still worms inside her that's causing the diarrhea? I don't know what kind of worms those were :( They were white and maybe the length of a little finger?

·
Registered
306 Posts
i really don't know the technicalities when it comes to worming, but i know many here will be able to help you.

i'm currently treating my layla with a 3 day dose of panacur as prescribed by the vet for whipworms. i know many dogs require multiple treatments (i will be needing to go back most likely for more) and i think puppies are dewormed 3 times. i may be wrong, though.

i would call up your vet and request they mail or let you pick up a vaccination schedule as she will need boosters within the next few weeks as well as more deworming. they should probably run a fecal test to see what -exactly- they are treating anyway because different methods work for different worms.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I am far from an expert, and I have no idea how the worms or medication would be affecting her, but it might have something to do with the food change. I don't mean to badmouth Blue Buffalo, but I had big trouble with it. I tried to switch Josie to it, and I did it VERY slowly, but it still gave her terrible gas and diarrhea-type stool. I ended up taking her off it and feeding her hamburger and rice until I got her tummy regular again. Then I tried another food(ProPlan) and haven't had any trouble since. If you do a search for Blue Buffalo in the puppy forum, I think you'll find a couple of threads about those of us who had trouble with it (and there were several of us, if I remember correctly.)
She's adorable, good luck!!!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Did the vet actually run a fecal test or just deworm empirically? Obviously she had worms (most likely rounds), but if an actual stool sample was not run, we don't know if she also has coccidia or maybe even giardia. Coccidia is very common with puppies and will cause diarrhea. Dewormers don't take care of coccidia. If no fecal test was run, I'd take a sample into the vet and request one.

It very well could be the diet change too. If it doesn't clear up in a couple of days, give your vet a call. I switched my pup cold turkey (kibble to raw) when I brought her home and she got a bit loose. A round of Metronidazole cleared it right up.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I'd take a small sample of stool to the vet to have it checked. If it is giardia or coccidia you want to nip that in the bud asap.

Blue Buffalo is a rich food, with it you need to be especially slow transitioning in my opinion. When I transitioned my cat to BB we did it over 2-3 weeks because I had a lot of Pro Plan left to mix. She never adjusted to it and had constant diarrhea. We went back cold turkey back to Pro Plan and she was perfect.

Tofi is beautiful by the way!!

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
Lots of things going on here that could cause the diarrhea :) The cat food certainly could; several members have had issues with Blue Buffalo being too rich for their puppies and causing diarrhea; worms certainly could, although if the vet wormed with an all-round wormer, I wouldn't expect the worms to recur again for aboout 10 days or so; and coccidia or giardia would also be a very common cause of diarrhea in a pup her age, and will require a different type of fecal testing to check out.

You might want to hold off on the food change until you have a chance to make sure that any parasites-worms, coccidia, giardia, etc.-have been taken care of, and keep her away from the cat food. It is very possible that her soft stools were not caused by the Puppy Chow but by the parasites.

Tofi is absolutely adorable :)

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
I just wanted to say that Tofi is beautiful!!!!!!! I'll leave the other issues to the real experts........

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i really don't know the technicalities when it comes to worming, but i know many here will be able to help you.

i'm currently treating my layla with a 3 day dose of panacur as prescribed by the vet for whipworms. i know many dogs require multiple treatments (i will be needing to go back most likely for more) and i think puppies are dewormed 3 times. i may be wrong, though.

i would call up your vet and request they mail or let you pick up a vaccination schedule as she will need boosters within the next few weeks as well as more deworming. they should probably run a fecal test to see what -exactly- they are treating anyway because different methods work for different worms.
I have the schedule from the vet that they are gonna run a fecal test for her when she's gonna have her 2nd shot which is March 5th. Do you all think that I should just go there and give them her stool sample to get tested ASAP or wait until then?

Also, I already signed her up for a puppy training class at Petsmart, should I actually wait until after she got her 2nd shot to start the training, or it'd be fine?

Just looking at the ingredients of BB it sounds wonderful and a lot of people recommended it, but I never thought about the transition part :( I'm planning to feed her chicken & rice for today also. But after today, what do I feed her? 100% puppy chow?

Thanks everyone for the help & compliments!! :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just wanted to say that Tofi is beautiful!!!!!!! I'll leave the other issues to the real experts........
Thanks Laurie!! Yea she is a really sweet girl, I can't wait for her to grow up! Her health is my biggest priority right now. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lots of things going on here that could cause the diarrhea :) The cat food certainly could; several members have had issues with Blue Buffalo being too rich for their puppies and causing diarrhea; worms certainly could, although if the vet wormed with an all-round wormer, I wouldn't expect the worms to recur again for aboout 10 days or so; and coccidia or giardia would also be a very common cause of diarrhea in a pup her age, and will require a different type of fecal testing to check out.

You might want to hold off on the food change until you have a chance to make sure that any parasites-worms, coccidia, giardia, etc.-have been taken care of, and keep her away from the cat food. It is very possible that her soft stools were not caused by the Puppy Chow but by the parasites.

Tofi is absolutely adorable :)
Thanks for the reply!!! She's scheduled for a fecal test on March 5th when she has her 2nd shot. Do you think I should request to do it sooner than that? After the pumpkin, chicken & rice last night she only needed to go once for the rest of the night and today she pooped loose stool too but it was obviously better(not as loose).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd take a small sample of stool to the vet to have it checked. If it is giardia or coccidia you want to nip that in the bud asap.

Blue Buffalo is a rich food, with it you need to be especially slow transitioning in my opinion. When I transitioned my cat to BB we did it over 2-3 weeks because I had a lot of Pro Plan left to mix. She never adjusted to it and had constant diarrhea. We went back cold turkey back to Pro Plan and she was perfect.

Tofi is beautiful by the way!!
Hi Melissa, thanks for the reply. I did a lot of research online hoping to find the best food for Tofi and I thought BB would be it. I never thought of the transition part tho :(

I'll take it slow and see how it goes.

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
I would not wait until March to have a fecal check. I would run a sample into the vet and ask them to check for worms, coccidia and giardia. That said, it is often difficult to find coccidia and giardia in the stools. Many vets will treat based on diarrhea with no other apparent cause.

Coccidia is very common in young puppies and often shows up when the pups are being weaned (due to the stess). Breeders treat it but with coccidia, you are not trying to get rid of it but rather to suppress it until the pup's immune system can take over. Thus, when the pup is stressed again (new home, for example) coccidia can break out again. If the litter had coccidia, that would indicate that her current problem is due to coccidia. You could ask the breeder and he/she should feel comfortable in letting you know.

Personally, I would put her on whatever food the breeder had her on. If it was Purina Puppy Chow, I would put her back on that, until you are sure she is parasite free. Once she is parasite free, you can evaluate if you want to change her food, select a food and very slowly transition her over.

Check with your vet as far as the shots go, but my understanding is you want to limit her exposure until her final puppy shot, which would be when she is about 16 weeks of age. I think that would be around March 5, for your girl. Before then, it is difficult to judge when the mother's immunity has worn off and the shots have taken effect. At 4 months, the majority of puppies will be protected by a shot.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have the schedule from the vet that they are gonna run a fecal test for her when she's gonna have her 2nd shot which is March 5th. Do you all think that I should just go there and give them her stool sample to get tested ASAP or wait until then?

Also, I already signed her up for a puppy training class at Petsmart, should I actually wait until after she got her 2nd shot to start the training, or it'd be fine?

Just looking at the ingredients of BB it sounds wonderful and a lot of people recommended it, but I never thought about the transition part :( I'm planning to feed her chicken & rice for today also. But after today, what do I feed her? 100% puppy chow?

Thanks everyone for the help & compliments!! :D
My vet ran a fecal test at her first appt, and sure enough, she had coccidia. We put her on a medicine (which she loved) and it was negative 2 weeks later. Very easy to solve since it was caught early, so I wouldn't wait if I were you. I guess it depends on how difficult it is for you to get to the vets office.
My vet said it was fine to start Josie in classes after her first shots. I'm lucky because my Petsmart is brand new, with rooms built for the classes. They can scrub and hose down the floors as often as necessary, and the only dogs in these rooms have been screened to make sure they are current on vaccinations.
I agree the ingredients on BB sounded great, thats why I tried it. Unfortunately it just doesn't seem to agree with alot of puppies. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance, but I really wasn't willing to wait and find out. It got pretty nasty toward the end there.:yuck: I would keep her on the chicken and rice until you figure out what food you want to switch to. Then very slowly, add a handful of kibble to the chicken and rice, increasing the proportion after a few days, and see how it goes. Take it really slow - their little tummies have been through so much already!!!!
There's a lot of confusing info out there on which food to feed - it can be hard to pick! I ended up with ProPlan because people I knew personally recommended it and feed it to their dogs. It may not have the perfect ingredient list but Josie does fantastic on it so far!
Disclaimer - I am far from an expert, since Josie is my first puppy in many, many years. This is just my experience, and I've just been through all of this new puppy stuff, so it's fresh in my mind. Hope it helps, and doesn't cause more confusion.

·
Registered
306 Posts
i would get her checked up now. most vets will let you just drop off a fecal sample if you've already been a patient so you can bypass visitor fees.

and yes, PLEASE wait to finish her puppy shots. most classes don't even allow puppies to come if not fully vaccinated. i just experienced parvo for the first time in my life and i will be the most anal person in the world about vaccines for the rest of forever. :p:

make SURE she is fully vaccinated before introducing her to ANY other animals. parvo (and distemper, etc) are two very horrible, expensive, and scary sicknesses.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the relies everyone.

Tofi only pooped once yesterday which was in the morning. At first it was firm, but at the end it went loose again (I hope you know what i'm talking about). But it was definitely an improvement.

I took Tofi's stool sample to the vet yesterday and the result indicates that everything's fine - no worms, no diseases. But today morning her poop was loose again, and this time with BLOOD. I was so worried and I called the vet but he said it's probably just irritation from the diarrhea and encouraged me to continue on the chicken & rice diet for few more days. Also, he prescribed medicine.

So is this whole blood-in-poop thing really just irritation? I'm even thinking if the fecal test result was incorrect - I don't know if I should put the sample in the little tube thing RIGHT AFTER she pooped or it could wait. The sample that I gave the vet was not "fresh", it was from 3 hours ago. So did all the virus/bacterias die within that time of period so they couldn't find anything from the sample??

Any responses is greatly appreciated!!

Alice

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Some blood is very common with loose stools, especially if the loose stools have been going on for a while.

Three hours old is still pretty much fresh. A fecal looks for worm eggs, coccidia, and giardia; not viruses or bacteria (OK a parvo test checks for parvovirus, but parvo tests are not a routine part of stool checks). I don't know where you live, but the only issue we might have with a 3 hour old stool check where I live is freezing. Frozen samples are no good. And in the summer, the poo should be kept relatively cool.

·
New Dad
254 Posts
I think its the food. Honey had loose stools with BB. Ive giver her wet food a few times too and both times she had loose stools after. Im not giving her anything else ever again besides her Nutro Natural Lamb and Rice...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts