Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a four month old GR named Crosby. He’s great. He has a great demeanor. He is right on track for growth. Yet we continue to have issues with diarrhea.

He has had his stool checked for any parasites and all is clear. The vet had put him on two rounds of medication and things certainly improved while on the medication. However, once the meds were done, the diarrhea would return.

I tried adding some pumpkin to his food and that helped a bit but it seems like that in the last few days, the diarrhea has returned. It’s not always, but frequent and almost always in the evening or overnight.

any ideas what is happening?

·
Registered
149 Posts
We have a four month old GR named Crosby. He’s great. He has a great demeanor. He is right on track for growth. Yet we continue to have issues with diarrhea.

He has had his stool checked for any parasites and all is clear. The vet had put him on two rounds of medication and things certainly improved while on the medication. However, once the meds were done, the diarrhea would return.

I tried adding some pumpkin to his food and that helped a bit but it seems like that in the last few days, the diarrhea has returned. It’s not always, but frequent and almost always in the evening or overnight.

any ideas what is happening?
Just shooting in the dark here, but what are you feeding him? He could be sensitive to whatever treats or food he's on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have changed his food twice already and it doesn’t seem to have too much of an impact. He is on Royal Canin GI puppy food right now.

I do wonder if he may have a sensitivity to chicken. However, when I mentioned that to the vet, she didn’t think that was it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hmmm... I'm sure others will chime in and your vet will give you some thoughts, but changing his food that many times in such a short period will have an effect on your puppy's stomach and processing of those foods, and will inevitably cause diarrhea. If you just recently changed his food and did it over a slow transition (of mixing the new food in with the old food so that his stomach could get used to the new stuff), then you should give it some time for his body to get used to it.

We just transitioned our puppy's food at around 5 months and did about a 3 week transition to what he's on now. No poopy mess! This will also allow you to keep a log of all the other treats you give him to see if the ingredients in any of those could be the culprit.

You an also "reset" his stomach by feeding him boiled chicken and rice and with all that starchy water for three days. His poop should normalize after the third day, and slowly reintroduce him back on his diet starting with a 2/3 boiled rice and chicken diet and 1/3 kibble for day 1, followed by 1/3 boiled rice and chicken and 2/3 kibble for day 2, etc until the third day when he's fully back on kibble. During that time, you should withhold all treats, so you can see if your current kibble is an issue.

Good luck! I know it's completely maddening and I've been there with our puppy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a four-and-a-half-month Golden who had similar issues after moving into a new house a month ago (nervous stomach). Transitioning him to a daily probiotic helped immensely. He still has some days of loose stool here and there, but I chalked that up to his eating ALL THE THINGS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts