Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, my 4.5 month old puppy has been having diarrhea on and off for the last 3 weeks. It first started a few days after we introduced a new kibble from Honest Kitchen. I immediately took him off of it and fed him a bland diet of plain boiled rice and ground beef. I gave this for several days until his stool normalized, then I started introducing his original kibble again (Purina Pro Plan Lamb and Rice), slowly but I guess not slowly enough. After a day or two, the diarrhea came back. Again, I immediately stopped the kibble and went right back to the bland diet. But this time, even on the bland diet, he continued to have diarrhea and it became worse. His stool was basically liquid and had strange mucus and glossiness. Although he is house-broken, he had several accidents inside overnight and didn’t even ask to go outside. We took him to the vet and they prescribed a 7-day course of metronidazole with one daily probiotics, mainly to reduce inflammation due to the suspicion of colitis. His stool normalized on day 2 of metronidazole and we celebrated. I continued giving him the bland diet, and slowly started introducing 1 tbsp of pumpkin purée. After 2 days of solid stool (day 4 of metronidazole), I started introducing his kibble again, very very slowly. Again, his stool was normal, though very hard and not very frequent. He went maybe once a day every other day. The vet said this would happen so we didn’t worry. It seems the rice and beef are highly digestible so there isn’t much volume of stool to expect while on this diet.

Well we finished the course of metronidazole on 10/15, though I continue giving the probiotics. Once a day mixed in with his dinner. Yesterday morning, he had one solid stool and was fine for the rest of the day.
This morning around 10 am, he had two large solid stools and I was surprised! One part of me was thrilled that he went twice because I thought, OK, we are all set for today! The other part of me was suspicious and the worry set back in again because he had two bowel movements within 20 minutes of each other which meant things were moving too fast. Well my suspicion was correct, because after a short nap and lunch, he had yet another bowel movement at 12:45 pm. It was part solid and part loose. Quite loose. Now I am completely stumped. Has the diarrhea come back because we ended the course of metronidazole? Or am I still re-introducing the kibble too quickly? Is my pup just highly sensitive or am I doing something wrong? 😔

I want to add also that the vet did a fecal analysis and the test results were negative for Giardia and other parasites. He did test positive for eating rabbit feces, but we were told this is harmless.

Another thing to add is that my husband has a variable schedule at work. Most weeks he has a normal 9-5 work schedule and this is what my pup is used to, but once in a while he will have a week-long stretch of overnight shifts. I think this has been tough on my pup but I try my best to make him happy. We go on walks, I throw the frisbee around, and play tug at home. Part of me thinks he is having stress-induced diarrhea, but could a puppy really be that sensitive to the schedule at home?

Has anyone else had a similar experience with a puppy? Any ideas? I am so exhausted and worried about my little guy. He is otherwise doing great, behaving normally and full of energy so I at least know this isn’t some sort of serious illness. But still, this is tough and I am finding myself constantly stressing over him.

Thanks for reading.
-Christina

·
Registered
33 Posts
Following! I am experiencing something so similar. My 4.5 mo puppy has been having about a week of GI issues and we are at a loss of what to do. Our bland diet is not helping much and he has been having to have a bowel movement 2/3x in the middle of the night while also having accidents throughout the house. I didn’t even think about stress-related, I just went back to the office and he is staying home with my partner, who still has the luxury to work from home. I am going to make another follow up call with my vet to hopefully get some answers. I will let you know if she has any helpful advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Following! I am experiencing something so similar. My 4.5 mo puppy has been having about a week of GI issues and we are at a loss of what to do. Our bland diet is not helping much and he has been having to have a bowel movement 2/3x in the middle of the night while also having accidents throughout the house. I didn’t even think about stress-related, I just went back to the office and he is staying home with my partner, who still has the luxury to work from home. I am going to make another follow up call with my vet to hopefully get some answers. I will let you know if she has any helpful advice

I am so sorry to hear that! :( Yeah actually I didn’t know stress-related diarrhea was even a thing until we noticed a pattern of it happening when my husband does a graveyard shift at work. We just have to rule out any medical problems. It’s just tough and confusing because the metronidazole helped but as soon as we stopped it it came back which tells me it’s something else or the 7-day course of the metro was not enough. Yes please do! I will do the same. I just emailed my vet too. 🙏Hang in there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys, just an update on Frasier. His diarrhea worsened on Wednesday so we withheld his food for 24 hours to let his bowels rest and he did a little bit better with a solid poop the next morning, although by noon we were back to diarrhea again. We switched out the ground beef with boiled chicken breast and started giving him smaller meals and added 1 tbsp plain greek yogurt with the fortiflora. He wasn’t thrilled about the smaller meals lol but has been doing a lot better. The frequency of him going has gone down and he doesn’t seem as agitated with his bum. At the worst of it he kept chewing on and licking his bum non-stop. While this doesn’t solve the issue, it has definitely helped with managing the colitis for a few days. Our vet wants to put him on a prescription kibble for a few weeks and another 7-day course of metronidazole. We’ll get him on this plan tomorrow. We also asked her to do a fecal PCR test which I guess looks for any pathologic bacteria (versus good bacteria they should have). Hopefully this will be the solution we are looking for so we can give our sweet boy some relief.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Hey @goldengirl25 I hope your pup is doing okay.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey @goldengirl25 I hope your pup is doing okay.
Thank you so much for reaching out! Update on Frankie- the vet gave us a 5 day dose of metronidazole and he has had 2 solid bowel movements in the past 2 days! We are jumping for joy and crossing our fingers that this works. We finish his prescription tomorrow so I guess we will see how the weekend goes. Sending lots of love to you, your pup, and your family. I hope that the vet is able to get you some answers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey guys, just an update on Frasier. His diarrhea worsened on Wednesday so we withheld his food for 24 hours to let his bowels rest and he did a little bit better with a solid poop the next morning, although by noon we were back to diarrhea again. We switched out the ground beef with boiled chicken breast and started giving him smaller meals and added 1 tbsp plain greek yogurt with the fortiflora. He wasn’t thrilled about the smaller meals lol but has been doing a lot better. The frequency of him going has gone down and he doesn’t seem as agitated with his bum. At the worst of it he kept chewing on and licking his bum non-stop. While this doesn’t solve the issue, it has definitely helped with managing the colitis for a few days. Our vet wants to put him on a prescription kibble for a few weeks and another 7-day course of metronidazole. We’ll get him on this plan tomorrow. We also asked her to do a fecal PCR test which I guess looks for any pathologic bacteria (versus good bacteria they should have). Hopefully this will be the solution we are looking for so we can give our sweet boy some relief.
Hi! How is your pup doing? Did you get the results from the PCR test?? My puppy finished his metronidazole Friday evening, had solid bowel movements Thursday-Sunday, and then last night he was up at 3am with diarrhea and again this morning st 6:30. It has always been bile-y, mucous-y, but this time is was bloody. I fed him some kibble with his chicken/rice last night so I guess that’s the reason. I have gone through so much chicken/rice I can’t keep my pantry stocked enough, lol i thought we were headed in the right direction but I guess I spoke too soon. I am going to call the vet first thing this morning and see what she recommends. I feel like our pups are having extremely similar experiences but Frankie is a few days/week behind yours! Would love to hear if you get any answers or find solutions.

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
5,026 Posts
Just a note to remind people that the #1 reason by far for puppies to have on-and-off diarrhea is OVER-FEEDING. I'm not saying this is the reason for the OP's or anyone else's puppy in particular, though it sounds like it. But before you go spending gobs on vets, and tests, and medicine, and prescription food, and whatnot, try cutting down the puppy's meals (after a few days of chicken and rice to calm the GI tract).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.