Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have the same issue also ! 6 month knot English cream retriever it’s horrible ! Like it snows in our house minute by minute where ever she walks ! Any advice ? We also a have tried it all!

My 11 week old golden puppy has it. Of course the vet ruled out cheyletiella mange but offered little other explanation. A seborrhea or possibly ichthyosis are his thoughts and to give it time to see if it goes away. I am brushing twice a day, giving salmon oil, bathing once a week in oatmeal shampoo. He is happy and doesn't scratch much. No redness, loss of fur, but lots of white flaking skin. Mostly on his chest and sides, but also some from his back. None on his belly where there is no fur. I just switched him off chicken to a fish only diet. Any other ideas? Maybe he just has to outgrow it.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Have your pup tested for Ichthyosis. It is a DNA test. If pup is affected, there's no sense in spending a fortune trying to find a cure that isn't going to be found.
If you want the whole panel of DNA testing, Embark is probably your best bet $ wise. If you just want an ICT test, Pawprint Genetics is probably best bet. Individual tests run about $50 +/- depending on sales, and the whole Embark panel (I'd get the breeder version since it includes more and doesn't cost more) is around $160 depending on sales.

·
Registered
47 Posts
A good Slicker brush works wonders. Let a little fur build up in the brush and the flakes will stick to it like magic. Also a nice supplement that includes fish oil is also very helpful.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts