Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Puppies can be difficult but in the end it's really worth it. For potty training, you might try tying his leash to a stake at a spot in the yard where you want him to go. Watch him from a distance until he goes. And then praise him like crazy when he does. I think a breeder suggested this to us. I used this for my first golden and it worked well. The second golden it wasn't necessary. Potty training takes a long time. Most dogs don't get it until they are 6 or 7 months old.

You'll find a lot of good advice on crate training here. Try different things because what works for one dog might not work for another. For us, it helped to have the crate in the bedroom. When he was in the basement, it was barking all night. I also bought his crate a soft dog bed. I think that might have helped a little bit.

Also, make sure the crate is not too big for your puppy. If he has too much room, it encourages him to find a spot to potty in there. Be sure to wash out the crate with good enzyme cleaner so it's not an already marked place.

Hang in there!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts