Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!
First of all, I'm So grateful for this forum! I've been reading it for a couple of months now in preparation for our little one coming home on Saturday. He will be a 8 weeks old and is the largest in the litter.

So in preparation to potty training, here's my question:
we have a two-story house with a deck and long stairs leading down to the yard....do you all suggest I pick him up and taxi him down the deck stairs every time he has to potty (day and night) until he's old enough to safely navigate the deck stairs on his own (on the leash, of course)? (I know I have to take him until he knows exactly where to go.) I guess there isn't any other way, is there? I'm laughing typing this.

Next REAL question: how old will he be when he's able to tackle those deck steps without hurting his developing bones? (We have added boards to the steps so he can't fall through.)

Thanks ahead of time!!!

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Both breeders for both my goldens recommended no stairs, or very limited stairs for the first year. It is bad for their hips. I can probably count on one hand the amount of time my seven month old has done a flight, and my house is three floors.

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
Welcome to GRF.
:wavey:
I have never had a puppy Golden but I have read many articles where it may be best not to let a pup run freely up or down the steps until 6 months old at least. I would think walking up and down the steps on a leash under control would be a lot safer.

Enjoy your new friend:)

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Until he is potty trained I would suggest no going upstairs at all. You only have seconds when he is that young for him to signal he needs to go and running down stairs to get him outside could pose a safety risk for you both. I think I would put his crate downstairs in an area where you are the most and even put up an exercise pen where he can safely play but you can monitor. As he grows and gets more coordinated you can teach him the stairs, one at a time. Pups have a tendency to act like young human kids and will tear up and down stairs and end up falling. Too much risk for me at first. Let him mature a bit so bones and joints won't be hurt.

Welcome to our group from way down South (Tx). You will love having a Golden in your life. They are so special as are the ones that own them!

·
Ripley and Ned
487 Posts
I would taxi him down the stairs for the duration that you are able to physically carry him down without hurting yourself! They do grow so fast! I think Ripley started doing the stairs on her own at about 6-7 months old. Also, just as a potty training tip, try to take him to the same spot every time he needs to potty. That way he will generally go there on his own after you have potty trained, and it is much easier to find and clean up! We always took Ripley to the fence line, and now we never have poops in the middle of the yard!

Reactions: Sanna Fase

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I carried my boy down the stairs (and up at first) until he was about 30 lbs and physically I couldn't do it any longer. Their eyes don't really develop full depth perception for a while and my breeder was concerned about the possibility he could fall until they fully developed. He let us know when it was time and I took him down on leash at that point to slow him down. One suggestion is to start potty training both up and downstairs with a potty bell. Get a potty bell to attach to your doors both up and downstairs and ring it and say Go Potty as you walk out that door. Before you know it they will associate the bell with potty. We didn't get one until a little later and our guy learned it within hours. You can find them on Amazon. My husband was skeptical and thought I wasted money until our accidents stopped and now he's a believer. Enjoy your new pup! The potty training stage will be over before you know it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
200 Posts
I carried my boy down the stairs (and up at first) until he was about 30 lbs and physically I couldn't do it any longer. Their eyes don't really develop full depth perception for a while and my breeder was concerned about the possibility he could fall until they fully developed. He let us know when it was time and I took him down on leash at that point to slow him down. One suggestion is to start potty training both up and downstairs with a potty bell. Get a potty bell to attach to your doors both up and downstairs and ring it and say Go Potty as you walk out that door. Before you know it they will associate the bell with potty. We didn't get one until a little later and our guy learned it within hours. You can find them on Amazon. My husband was skeptical and thought I wasted money until our accidents stopped and now he's a believer. Enjoy your new pup! The potty training stage will be over before you know it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Definitely second the suggestion for the bell!!! We started using the bell after about a month or so after we got our puppy and his accidents immediately stopped as well. Just make sure you teach the pup that bell = potty NOT bell = outside... my parents' lab used to drive my brother insane by incessantly ringing the bell to go outside and play. :p:

I have no advice about stairs... we have a ranch, so Toby only has to go up and down three small stairs off our back deck to get to his potty spot. Lately though he has decided that it's okay to make flying leaps off the deck if he is feeling zoomie... :uhoh: I don't like it one bit!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts