Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sophie is 13 wks. old. My husband ask last evening why her coat is short (hair is short). I said I guess it grows longer like ours & will eventually grow. Can anyone educate us on a Golden Retrievers coat & how it grows? I did post pics of Sophie & our gang in an album on my profile. I am still figuring out how to post on the messages that I post. Looking forward to your experience & knowledge on our Goldens!
Amy T
Sophies Mom in PA (just south of Harrisburg)

·
Registered
154 Posts
I can't give you a bunch of specifics, but our 5 month old has certainly lost her puppy fluff. She's looking more and more like a dog, rather than a puppy, but her hair is still short overall.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
She has her puppy fur right now and will start growing her adult coat about 6 months. It will grow longer as she ages. But if her parents didnt have really long full coats she might not have one either. The funniest time will be when her adult coat comes in on her back and it will look like a toupee.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Goldens don't get their full adult coat until they are around 2 years old. The upper back around the shoulder blades will usually start filling out first. Like Carol said, it sort of looks like a toupee. Then, they start getting some leg, chest, and tail feathering. They go through all kinds of different coat stages and have coat blows a few times a year, which is when they shed like crazy. Tucker is almost 18 months and is still working on getting his full adult coat. Some Goldens take even longer than 24 months to get their full coat.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
You'll have some waiting to do until that beautiful golden coat shows itself. Regular grooming will help her be used to you brushing her for when she has a longer, and at times more difficult to care for coat.

Welcome to the forum from Pittsburgh, by the way!

PS. You can add photos by clicking on the paperclip box above the box when you're posting. Find the file on your computer and upload it. You'll be all set.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Marty is a little over 6 mo. and is getting his adult hair. Starting to get feathering on back of front legs and butt area. He was a very fuzzy pup. I'm new at this too, but have a picture of him at about 8 wks.

·
Griff's a Muffin Thief!
3,165 Posts
Yep - their coats are short while puppies - then they get that funny strip down the back which broadens and before you know it, you've got a dog with a nice coat. Patience...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts