Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I hope this isn't a stupid question, but I haven't been able to find a good answer. I'm going to be getting a puppy soon (yay!) and I'm trying to figure out what to do with him while I'm at work. I'm a nurse, so I do 3 12+ hour shifts a week, which is clearly too long to leave a dog by itself. Once he's fully vaccinated and fixed he's going to doggy daycare when I work, but they don't let dogs in that aren't fixed. That leaves a whole year where I don't know what to do with him. What do ya'll do with your puppies while at work?

·
Premium Member
18,456 Posts
The majority of dog day cares allow intact puppies under 6 months. Visit a few and check with them on their policies.

You will need to hire a pet sitter, and they would have to come by and take the puppy out every 3 hours max until he is 6-8 months old. You simply can not leave a puppy locked up without human interaction for longer than that. But you knew that already.

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
Do you have any family or friends who would like to puppy sit when you work? I did that for a friend when I lived in Kansas, she would drop off her puppy on the way to work and pick her back up on her way home. I got to enjoy having a puppy around without all the work or the expense.

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
Do you do three day shifts, the off, then three night shifts? Or are you on a consistent schedule?

If you're on days, in addition to you taking him out last thing before your shift and first thing after, you'll need 2-3 puppy visits (one of those should be a big run-around outing). Then down to 2, then probably to one, though that feels long to me to leave a dog alone with just one outing. I'd hire a walker who also does puppy visits, and is experienced with pups..

If you're working nights, that's harder. You'll need to find someone experienced with a baby puppy who will be willing to get up once or twice in the night to take him out. That will happen for the first 2-4 weeks he's home. But even when he's older, he'll need to be somewhere for a night shift, because you'd still be gone too long to leave him home alone. (Since most doggy daycares and walkers don't work nights, I'm guessing!)

·
Jean G
115 Posts
Maybe wait on getting the puppy until you can spend more time with him. It won't be nice for him to be alone for so long. Pups need training, you won't be able to give him your full attention. Dogs are social, love to be with their humans.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts