Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all my Golden Retriever new puppy owners, I wanted to start a thread. Getting George at 7.5 weeks 3 weeks ago has been so much work. Sometimes I think I'm the worst puppy owner but like many of you who are suffering through sleepless nights, ripped clothes, bitten hands, etc..., just know you are not alone. I remember what a great dog my last golden was and know my new pup will get their eventually. So everyone hang in there, it's going to get better and soon we will all have our amazing, loyal friend that provides unconditional. Oh and here is a pic of my handsome George. Who would have thought he'd be a little shark with that face?! haha

·
Registered
726 Posts
Land sharks are always the cutest.

I should probably read through my thread for Stella (18 months) before I make a new post for new puppy in 12 days. Lol. I’m certain landshark and not barking was my biggest concern for her. Happy to report she’s no longer a landshark, not mouthy, and not a barker.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
So precious! We are getting ours soon. At the moment, I'm babysitting a six year old, a four year old, and a two year old (children) and a six month old pug puppy. The pug has inaugurated me by chewing off the corner of some woodwork. I'm a dummy. My four year old granddaughter told me she "fixed" it by putting some tape on top of the gnawed corner. ?

They go home tonight. I only babysit "spend the night" style a couple of times a year because they live two blocks away. I'm out of practice. ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So precious! We are getting ours soon. At the moment, I'm babysitting a six year old, a four year old, and a two year old (children) and a six month old pug puppy. The pug has inaugurated me by chewing off the corner of some woodwork. I'm a dummy. My four year old granddaughter told me she "fixed" it by putting some tape on top of the gnawed corner. ?

They go home tonight. I only babysit "spend the night" style a couple of times a year because they live two blocks away. I'm out of practice. ?
Get ready, Diane! Your new pup is going to test you but it's going to be well worth it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
We’ve had Ollie, now 9 weeks, for a week & I am totally suffering the puppy blues!! He doesn’t listen and he bites, refuses to walk on a leash.. I just feel like the worst dog owner ever 😭

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've had Bubba 2 months now and he's still a handful but I know it's worth it in the end. I have to remind myself he'll eventually get to be a good dog.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We’ve had Ollie, now 9 weeks, for a week & I am totally suffering the puppy blues!! He doesn’t listen and he bites, refuses to walk on a leash.. I just feel like the worst dog owner ever 😭
I could have written this about my Willow, who will be nine weeks on Sunday and who we’ve had for a week. I remember feeling this way with my last dog, who was such a pleasure in the long run. But right now, I’m having serious puppy remorse 😢. It helps to hear I’m not alone!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I could have written this about my Willow, who will be nine weeks on Sunday and who we’ve had for a week. I remember feeling this way with my last dog, who was such a pleasure in the long run. But right now, I’m having serious puppy remorse 😢. It helps to hear I’m not alone!
I think most here have gone through this. We did with amber and she's become a great girl. You must remember having such a young puppy is like having an infant. They don't know anything until they are taught. Training and socialization should be in your near future.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Get ready, Diane! Your new pup is going to test you but it's going to be well worth it!
He's six months old now and although a little bit of an adolescent, he's been so very good! We lucked out so far. He didn't nip us or chew my items. He's also so smart!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh I understand! We have Murphy who is almost 10 weeks and he is such a handful! He listens when he feels like it and my arms are all red from his biting 😬

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've had Molly 10 weeks? Now.
She still tests every ounce of patience I have lol. She is usually pretty good but still teething and I find myself saying "No, or No Bite" 500 times a day.
She has learned to jump on the couch so there are times you see her coming and just need to brace for impact . Its going to happen.. impact.

Walks are getting better when we walk alone. I do a lot of "Let's go" and "Good girl"
I can't wait until the biting stops and the chewing. We have power recline furniture that isnt against walls so keeping her away from those cords is tough. My house smells like bitter spray.

I got her 4 months after losing by beloved Olivia. I injured my leg and ankle 2 years ago and the pain and inability to do a lot of physical activity was really weighing on my spirit. I needed some purpose . I can walk, but not too far or fast. She gets her 30-40 minutes a couple times a day and a lot of ball playing but she depends on me and that is what I need.

Just think, it will get better lol

·
Registered
187 Posts
Y'all are making us feel better about getting Kona at 4+ months, with a healthy start on socialization, crate training, and basic obedience. :unsure: :)

To be fair, we've had "some issues", but nothing like what y'all are describing. Of course, I understand "doggy teens" can be a joy, too. 😄

1 - 14 of 14 Posts