Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Sounds like you're doing great figuring out what method will work for your pup. You're probably in the thick of the landshark phase now.. Luna was the most bitey around 10-13 weeks old if I remember correctly. Removing yourself and ignoring them when they start nipping can be very effective for a puppy that really wants your attention. He's adorable btw.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Holy crap your pup is good looking. My pup is maybe 3-4 weeks older than yours and is a landshark. I've been trying to figure it out too.

I noticed my pup has two kinds of nipping/biting.

First type is wanting to play/playful nipping. Second is tantrum type of nipping when we pick her up to put her in her pen to settle when her playful nipping is getting out of hand.

And for some reason, my pup can't just chill out next to me without going after my hands or tugging on my jacket sleeve (after a walk + 2 x 15 minute training sessions + chew toy).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh and shrieking or yelping only excites my dog more too. I don't intentionally say 'OW', but it genuinely comes out, because she'll nip me so hard sometimes. It comes out more of like 'OW SH**! or 'OW YOU LITTLE.....!'

·
Registered
15 Posts
Golden puppies nip and bite and chew — repeat. Establish “no bites!” as a command, keep toys in your pockets to give if he goes for your fingers; exercise him; crate him if he gets too rambunctious; have patience. They grow out of it at about 12-18 months.

Odin nipped at my kids’ shirt tails, our pant legs, our shoes, the kids’ fingers — he shredded the kids’ sleeves. He chewed our carpet, our furniture, our grill cover, our baseboards. He ate socks, quilts, kids’ toys, electrical cords, rocks, basically anything we dropped on the floor. He was a baby goat — he was the G.O.A.T at being a goat!

He is now five and as mellow as a mushroom. The best dog ever. Super obedient, incredibly sweet, wonderfully friendly, exuberant, goofy and patient. He’s a dream. He still jumps on strangers because he “has just met them and he LOOOOVES them” but that’s about the only had behavior we are still working on.

Give it time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ours is completely the same and it's normal... The vet said because he's in the midst of teething, it gets worse before it gets better.
When Odin was a pup and losing his baby teeth, my husband was playing tug with him and won. Suddenly, at the very second he pulled the tug out of Odin’s mouth, a baby tooth went skittering across the hardwood floor. We were all hilariously grossed out.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts