Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a puppy, did anyone elses golden bite a lot? I didnt know if it was just mine but he will lunge at my face and bite at legs and feet when youre walking. And his teeth are pretty sharp so it hurts. I always say no and offer him a chew toy but he seems to prefer to bite hands and feet. Ive had a few puppies before and none of them bit this much. I think ive heard of other golden owners having the same problem with their puppies too. How old are they usually when the biting stops?

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
As a puppy, did anyone elses golden bite a lot? I didnt know if it was just mine but he will lunge at my face and bite at legs and feet when youre walking. And his teeth are pretty sharp so it hurts. I always say no and offer him a chew toy but he seems to prefer to bite hands and feet. Ive had a few puppies before and none of them bit this much. I think ive heard of other golden owners having the same problem with their puppies too. How old are they usually when the biting stops?
Lucky was always mouthy but stopped leaving marks by 6 or 7 months old. My brother was Lucky's primary victim his hands and arms were covered with teeth cut marks. He rarely left marks on me or my mom.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Most golden puppies are very mouthy. One of the ways they experience their world is by putting everything in their mouth. This is normal puppy behavior. But for us it isn't appropriate behavior so we have to give them alternative ways to act so we aren't always getting hurt. Since this is such a natural action for them we need to do a lot of training of what we really want them to do.
When puppies get to the point of jumping and snapping at our faces they are way over excited and need to be calmed down. They get excited really fast when they are little so many times it happens before we can change the dynamics. Over time by really watching the pup you will be able to see that the pup is getting to excited before the pup gets to this point and will be able to redirect the pup to calmer activities before it gets out of hand.
But the pup does need lots of training.
Training happens when the puppy isn't over excited. Take time daily to train the things you want the puppy to do. Such as sit, down, leave it, drop it, give, trade etc.

When the pup puts his or her mouth on you all play stops. Say ouch. Do not give the pup any attention for about 30 seconds. Then resume play if pup settles down. If the pup won't settle down then the pup needs to be placed in a safe place and given something quiet to do for a little while. There are tons of good posts on the golden retriever forum that you can search that will give you many different things to help train your pup.

Welcome to the forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts