Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my golden retriever is 6 months now, almost 7. Recently he has been jumping up on us and not biting but like gnawing on our hands and arms leaving scratches and marks. He's also getting heavier and there is a 10 year old child in the house who is afraid of him. How do I stop this behavior?

So far I've tried the usual stern no's and leaving the room when he does it for a minute and distracted him with toys. Another thing is that it only happens at night after dinner when everyone's back home from work.

Usually he has a very calm temperament and at most he will just chew on the rugs. I exercise him twice a day for 20 mins, in the morning and before meal time (6 pm).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
He's doing it again right now. He jumps up and grabs my hand with his teeth. I try to push him down to the floor and try to calm him down and he keeps trying to nip it. As soon as i let go he gets up again and chases me until i go into my room. Anything i can try right now?

·
Love walks on four paws
2,946 Posts
Dont push him or touch him just walk away. He thinks you are playing. Sage did this too...I say no teeth and walk away if she continued I stopped put my hands on my head and turned my chin up and sideways...this is kind of doggy language and for sage I found worked better than anything!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
yep. Just withhold any attention once the mouthing and jumping starts. Look for opportunities to give attention and praise whenever he is exhibiting calm behavior. May take some time but our mouthy 13 month old has made a lot of progress in this area.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am in the exact same situation. almost 7 mth old golden and 10 year old twins in the house that are afraid to be around him. It's awful! We have tried walking away, but he is partial to ankles and legs and runs after you biting the entire time. Bitter apple is a joke, turning our backs doesn't work. Ugh! there is usually a lot of crying and hiding going on. It's so sad.

·
Registered
991 Posts
The puppy needs to be taught that play biting of a human is a no-no. One of the ways I taught Cassie was by yelping whenever she would nip. She would then realize that she was hurting me, and stop.

Another good thing is to have plenty of chew toys around that will satisfy various urges to chew and play. (Soft, chewy, hard, etc) When he wants to play-bite, substitute a no-no with an appropriate toy, and then praise him for playing with it.

Also... realize that learning and will take time. Patience and repetition is the key.

·
Proud Mom
101 Posts
I have a 4 month old puppy who does the jumping and bitting, but she does it for attention, just after dinner when everybody is watching a tv program, we tell her no and she start barking at us, I think is a normal puppy thing, so we play fetch and make her run around the back yard so she gets her energy out, she comes back to the house and she has a nylabone that she likes, so she chews, and we got her a pig ear that she chews in the living room where everybody is. Sometimes when she is pulling my pants I tell her to sit and we start practicing some tricks with treats that calm her down too.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice guys... but matter just got worse. As usual my puppy keeps jumping and gnawing on my arm and such, but today he started leaping at my face when i was kneeling down trying to calm him down.

When i try to ignore him he keeps jumping and will NOT stop. If i go into a room for a few seconds I go outside and he does it again. If i simply leave the room completely i feel like I'm letting him win and avoiding the situation.

He's only 7 months, this isn't permanent behavior is it? My parents and I made a contract that if his behavior persists after hes 1 years old hes going back to the breeder.. As I'm writing this I'm balling my eyes out... please help!

·
Registered
14,283 Posts
When you get on his level - kneeling down - it's playtime to him. Stand up and give him a toy. Yelping worked for me. And lots of praise for "nice kisses."

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
"As usual my puppy keeps jumping and gnawing on my arm and such"

Are you taking your dog to any basic obedience or basic manners classes? What commands/cues is he trained to do? What do you want him to do instead of jumping and gnawing on your arm?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I completely understand your frustration...as my 7 month old does the exact same thing. I have a trainer coming to my house this week to help.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
This very typical puppy behavior but that doesn't mean you have to put up with it. Some are worse than others. Do you have baby gates ? They can be your best friend! When we brought Hank home our granddaughter lived here (she was 4 y.o.), he was pretty calm but had his moments! We would gate him in the kitchen if she had a little friend over or was watching TV. or switch and gate him in the greatroom if they were having a snack or doing crafts in the kitchen. Nothing winds up a puppy like excited, running, screaming kids!

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Hi, my golden retriever is 6 months now, almost 7. Recently he has been jumping up on us and not biting but like gnawing on our hands and arms leaving scratches and marks. He's also getting heavier and there is a 10 year old child in the house who is afraid of him. How do I stop this behavior?

So far I've tried the usual stern no's and leaving the room when he does it for a minute and distracted him with toys. Another thing is that it only happens at night after dinner when everyone's back home from work.

Usually he has a very calm temperament and at most he will just chew on the rugs. I exercise him twice a day for 20 mins, in the morning and before meal time (6 pm).
Seems like he is full of himself because everyone is home. I know that a total of 40 minute daily of exercise would not have been enough for my most laid back yorkie at 7 months let alone a golden. Have you tried just taking him outside to play off his excess energy. If my pups get full of themselves we go outside to play. Outside = Run around. Inside = Quiet play with toys/chews by themselves or sleep.

My brother was 10 when he got Lucky I can't count how many times Lucky bloodied or knocked my brother over. It was part of having a golden puppy. They are land sharks the first year or so.

Thanks for the advice guys... but matter just got worse. As usual my puppy keeps jumping and gnawing on my arm and such, but today he started leaping at my face when i was kneeling down trying to calm him down.

When i try to ignore him he keeps jumping and will NOT stop. If i go into a room for a few seconds I go outside and he does it again. If i simply leave the room completely i feel like I'm letting him win and avoiding the situation.

He's only 7 months, this isn't permanent behavior is it? My parents and I made a contract that if his behavior persists after hes 1 years old hes going back to the breeder.. As I'm writing this I'm balling my eyes out... please help!
Not to sound harsh but if everyone in the household is not signed up to take care of puppy then this might not be the best fit.

Everyone needs to be part of training and behavior correction. He is a teenager and will still be mouthy at a year old.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Buddy was over 2.5 years old when I got him and he was a crazy man. Jumping and mouthing at me, my parents, and brother constantly- Given we are all adults but it was not easy.

I took him to 3 different training classes for him to learn how to behavior properly. He is not a Therapy dog. He will still jump and mouth at me when he is overstimulated- The yorkies get him going so I will take him outside and tell him "Go run around!". He will run in figure eights, jumping, growling, and attempting to body slam.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am a strong believer in time outs. The back corner of the bedroom has done more to fix problems with my pup than anything else. If its fun he's after, show him that such behavior is completely NOT fun. (Keep in mind that to a golden, 5 minutes is like 5 years, so cater the duration to fit the crime)

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Tayla is much better but was like that. Our miracle fix was a can of compressed air like you clean computer keyboards. When she got bitey with my husband I'd take the can and hide it behind my back. As I'm giving the no bite command I'd spray the can. The noise startled her into stopping and then you can praise and treat. Never spray the dog and don't spray your skin by mistake. It freezes and burns. Make sure when you give a command to stop something you give a command to replace it with a wanted action. No jump, sit.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
" As I'm giving the no bite command I'd spray the can. The noise startled her into stopping and then you can praise and treat."

How long did it take to stop the behavior of biting by startling the dog with the can of compressed air?

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
After about 3-4 times she was much better. She used to attack me on walks so badly she bruised and drew blood. She is still mouthy at times, but she doesn't close her mouth and when I say no bite she opens it and will lick my hand. She was a horrible puppy and I wish someone would have suggested it to me earlier.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts